Tire chains or cheap winter tires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tire chains or cheap winter tires?

I know it's early as heck and its mid summer, but I'm going to Missouri for 6 months in late October until late March. I've heard it does snow and I'll be driving my car from California. What would be the best options for either chains or winter tires? I have the stock Goodyear F1 Supercar tires from the performance package. One thing about getting tires would be that I would only use them for the winter and drive back to California. I also wouldn't have a place to put my current tires.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Tire chains or cheap winter tires?

Leave the chains to Ice Road Truckers. They may not be legal where you are going and if they break, they are going to tear your car up. Your tires are rated Summer Only. You are going to need to change them anyway, because colder temperatures make them hard and slippery and shouldn't be run snow or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would strongly recommend getting some 18" wheels (or 17s if they clear your brakes) with snow tires. You do not want really low profile tires in the snow and you will likely hit a pothole or two no matter how hard you try. Mustangs suck in the snow but with snow tires and some weight in the back they can be fine. You do not want to expose your stock wheels to salt, it will really age them quickly. Try not to buy snow tires until you get to Missouri, they wear quickly. If you ever make it to Chicago I'll store them for free inside my basement.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the offer but I think the furthest east I'll be going is St Louis. I'll be around Ft. Leonard Wood doing training so if anyone knows how bad it gets during winter or has tips it'd be great. Would 19" all season tires work and worse come to worse some cables? and if I got 18" or 17" I'd probably have to retune right?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
Thanks for the offer but I think the furthest east I'll be going is St Louis. I'll be around Ft. Leonard Wood doing training so if anyone knows how bad it gets during winter or has tips it'd be great. Would 19" all season tires work and worse come to worse some cables? and if I got 18" or 17" I'd probably have to retune right?

As long as the overall diameter of your tires stay the same, your speedometer will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have no experience with living in a snowy area, but if it were me, I would just order a set of cheap wheels with snow tires.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
I have no experience with living in a snowy area, but if it were me, I would just order a set of cheap wheels with snow tires.

That's what we used to do before radials existed. If you can't park your car for the Winter and pick up a beater, this would be an option. I would still get four wheels and tires, but only actual snow tread in the back, not all the way around.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I now live in the great NW but have many years in Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri. Depending on what part of Missouri you are going too I would have some different recommendations.

Tires are very important part of getting traction. For the most part they take care of the roads very well in the winter months.They use Salt not good for your car - Run through the car wash in the winter. The farther North typically the more equipment they have to take care of it. Mid to South Missouri you are going to deal with some ice as you get freezing rain often. Mid to south may want to consider Blizzak type of snow tire. Many areas do not allow chains or studded tires as they tear up the road. Can be used to get you out of a jam. But if the chains come loose can also cause great damage to your car and they are hard on your tires. KC area can get dumped on and if that happens Wait for the plows to get out 1st as your rear wheel drive low clearance car will get stuck easy. Make a friend with someone with front wheel drive, All wheel drive or 4X4. Your driving experience plays a big role on what your are going to be able to handle. Slow and steady no quick moves steering, Braking and giving it gas easy and gradual. Bridges ice up 1st do not hit the brakes or give it gas on the bridge ! Intersections ice up 1st with a snow storm as people peel out and lock up brakes this makes ice slow down and allow extra distance to stop and stop signs and lights. You most likely will blow by the 1st stop sign after the 1st snow. Carry a bag of sand in trunk can be used for traction as weight over the back tires or bust it open to put sand under your tires. Small shovel. A blanket can be used for traction or keeping warm.

December - February will be the most concerning moths for you. Can get heavy wet snow in March. Big slushy stuff between wheel tracks can be a problem kind of like hydroplaning.

Good luck.
jh1hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Sheeeeiiitt. I'll be going to Fort Leonard Wood so mid/south Missouri. I'm thinking that on post should be pretty good as I'm assuming they will upkeep the roads. So you would strongly recommend to get snow tires? When does it start snowing usually because I'm headed mid October so hoping that I can get there and worse come to worse pay for a storage facility nearby to store my summer tires once I get my snow tires.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Doesn't snow in Wisconsin until late November early December. October should be beautiful weather down in Missouri.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires