New tire suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
New tire suggestions

245/45/17. Keeping stock rims until next year. Any good all season/winter tires I should look at?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

Was looking for the same information and found this thread. Quite a few recommendations in there.

Worn Pirelli Tires
Muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I use Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s year round in Virginia, great in the rain, not troublesome in below freezing temps, but they have trouble in loose and deep snow. If it snows regularly where you are, maybe take a look at an all season variant of the Potenza (I believe it is something like RE-070a or something like that, a friend uses that on his 2011 gt).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What comes up time and time again, though, is that if you don't live where it snows, all-season tires are shown to be worse in every single category compared to summer tires. The ONE area where all-seasons win is sub-zero temperatures. All-seasons will still work down to about -10F. Not well, but long after summer tires have turned into rocks.

The best suggestion, then, if you do live where it snows, is to have a set of summer tires and winter tires and swap them.

It says that you are in Texas, so you might do well with just summer only tires, depending on how far south in the state you are.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Close to Louisiana boarder. No snowing here. Just rain.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

Basically if it don't snow, avoid all-seasons as they are worse in the rain than even the snow tires, and lag behind the summer tires where it really matters - not acceleration, but braking and handling.

"Anyone who never sees or visits snow would be very well served by summer tires for year-round use."
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

Basically if it don't snow, avoid all-seasons as they are worse in the rain than even the snow tires, and lag behind the summer tires where it really matters - not acceleration, but braking and handling.

"Anyone who never sees or visits snow would be very well served by summer tires for year-round use."
Huh, I didn't know this. Good to know about this since I'm from deep South Texas, never snows obviously.

I was thinking about going all season when I had to change mine since it seemed a better option, but looks like it's not! Thanks for this piece of information.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
When I first put the RE-11s on, I thought that they would be worthless in the rain, but I was very wrong, as they are more stable in the rain than my old all seasons. They do wear faster, and make more noise though. Another issue is that the shoulder is wider than on all seasons, so you are more likely to not be able to patch the tire if you pick up a nail (I discovered this yesterday, always buy the road hazard warranty, just saved me $300 for the tire).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires