Winter wheel setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Winter wheel setup

Just been looking around for a set of wheels and tires for winter. Came across these Mercedes wheels with Blizzak tires for $200. Here's my dumb question: will they fit? I believe they are 5X114 bolt pattern but not 100% sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you also need them to have a 70.3 mm bore and the offset of 40 mm. idk if they fit but good price.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
you also need them to have a 70.3 mm bore and the offset of 40 mm. idk if they fit but good price.
Oh geez, forgot about that. I'll have to see if I can get them test fitted before buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know of any other manufacturers wheels that would fit? I.E Infiniti, Nissan, Subaru. ...ect.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

If I remember correctly Infinitys do. Google Tire fitment sights, they'll tell you. You can also get hub adaptors but figure in 100-200 for those so unless the tires are a great price. Look at this and other forums/Craigs list/etc remember they should be within driving distance cause shipping kills ya.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
If I remember correctly Infinitys do. Google Tire fitment sights, they'll tell you. You can also get hub adaptors but figure in 100-200 for those so unless the tires are a great price. Look at this and other forums/Craigs list/etc remember they should be within driving distance cause shipping kills ya.
I have been. It's why I'm asking because I can't find any stock Mustang wheels for less than $500.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Winter wheel setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I have been. It's why I'm asking because I can't find any stock Mustang wheels for less than $500.

I see you have a v6 like I do, I got a set of factory base 17" wheels with TPMS and the stock michelins for 600 from a kid on this site, can't remember his name of the top of my head. Was able to remount winter tires for about 400 and sell the stock Michelin Energy A/S to a girl with a Jeep Patriot for the same 400. Seems a little work can get you the stock wheels and TPMS for about 200 or so. Also the base 17" tires are slightly different between auto and manual, I wanted the 'correct' size tire.

The TPMS were something I wasn't looking for but I do hate amber warning lights on my dash and you can't pass inspection with a tire pressure warning light on. Buying aftermarket ones can get pricy so included is a good deal. The learning tool is fairly cheap on Amazon too so you can swap your own tires!

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's the thing! everyone wants $500+ for "factory" wheels! At most I'd pay $100 a wheel but they better have tires...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind the factory wheels are higher quality then cheapos from warehouse sites. Ford lists them around $400ea without the tpms. That's a guess on the ford price but it's in the ball park. Factory is forged, they'll last much longer and will look 'correct'. Keep up looking! All 17" from the 2010-14 mustangs should fit too. Try looking for sites selling 'take offs'

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

a small piece of painters tape covers the warning light nicely....
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Tell that to inspection station

Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
Keep in mind the factory wheels are higher quality then cheapos from warehouse sites. Ford lists them around $400ea without the tpms. That's a guess on the ford price but it's in the ball park. Factory is forged, they'll last much longer and will look 'correct'. Keep up looking! All 17" from the 2010-14 mustangs should fit too. Try looking for sites selling 'take offs'

Ya I'll have to just keep at it. Take off are what I'm looking for just because I know they will fit.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
Tell that to inspection station

Can they realy fail you for a tpms light being on in your state because I know they can't in PA I know ever state is different but that doesn't make sense to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwalck View Post
Can they realy fail you for a tpms light being on in your state because I know they can't in PA I know ever state is different but that doesn't make sense to me

That's jerzy for ya. At least that's what I've been told, won't need inspection until 200kmi in 2017. Can't wait to see the look on their faces on my first inspection! New cars come with a 5yr inspection here. Probably ONLY advantage to jerzy. Can't wait until I can move back to PA...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwalck View Post

They won't fail you if your tpms light is on, I just did my inspection and pass it with flying colors and that's with the tpms warning on. I called the shop before hand if they will fail me if I have my warning light on, they said no as long as my tires are not flat and I live in mass.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
They won't fail you if your tpms light is on, I just did my inspection and pass it with flying colors and that's with the tpms warning on. I called the shop before hand if they will fail me if I have my warning light on, they said no as long as my tires are not flat and I live in mass.

Borla touring, airraid Cai, Mac ceramic shorty headers, frrp x pipe, 2010 gt500 rims, 35 % tint and more to come..
That's how it is here in PA
fwalck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I found a great set of 17" with brand new Michellins. Going to swap those for some winter tires once I buy them. Should be good.
I've been hearing that a narrower tire set up is best for winter and snow?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Narrow is better for winter traction, tirerack has good articles about winter tires

Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm starting to look for 18 or (quick look up i don't think 17 inch will fit due to bigger stock brakes) steelies and blizzack's for my 2014 GT. I have stock brakes and currently have stock 19's on with PZero Neros. Any tips, links, sizes etc... i should look at!? I was thinking to try and get the Police style ones or the 5 spokes i've seen on a few challengers but not sure if they fit the Stang.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

TM
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking at these at the moment.

[url=http://www.americanmuscle.com/solidblack-bullitt-18x8-0513.html[/url]

http://www.bridgestonetire.ca/tire/b...=&model=&trim=
Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #21

Another thing to keep in mind, winter tires work best with more tread on them. Buying used winters is medicore IMHO. But I get it you can only get what you can.

But the tread will flex less and ice/hard pack grip comes from flex and leading edges.

Dont know where you are, but I know winters can get serious here in the Rocky Mountains.
Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Buy my set of 17 inch all season Michelin energy saver wrapped stock rims for a winter set
I have a winter set and these are just taking up space

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires