winter setup suggestions - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
winter setup suggestions

Opinions on Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 or LM-32 please?!
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This might help Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 vs. Blizzak LM-60 - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack

I belive the LM 60s are now in limted supply as the LM 80s are due late November. At this time i went for the WS 80 as it has better snow/slush/ice traction than the more cold dry sportier design of the LM series.

More info here http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=116
Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for that. So 60s for more snowy conditions and 32s for more general cold/frosty/icy conditions...

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm buying the LM32s, better fit if you don't get that much snow, still good for slush, ice, and the cold.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I thought

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #41

Region: Alabama
Ok guys, still can't decide. I almost ordered the Cooper Weathermaster tires from TD, but my dad said to check out Walmart and I could get some Goodyear Ultra Grips there for only about $40 more (and possibly save about the difference in installation). They also have some Blizzak DM-V1 for about $100 more, which I now may be able to afford since someone may finally be interested in my genesis wheels. Are the Bridgestones really that much better? If that's the case I could get the WS80's from TR for about the same price. Although the Dunlop Winter Maxx and Pirelli Carving Edge have very similar survey numbers.
Medsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I looked and looked and looked and it does seam to be the Bridgestones that are the best for both sizing and ability. As for the LM Vs WS and the 60s vs the 32s i see it as this from taking in all of what i have read.

Note all these tires are full winter rated and handle cold rain snow and ice.

LM 32 more dry cold road performance and better for sports cars in tire speed weight and load ratings.

LM60 is the middle ground with best of both (note these are limited stock as the LM 80 is replacing it late November)

WS range and WS80 is more snow and ice compound with more bite but a bit more squishy for dry road performance use if you don't mind a slighter loser input feel to the tighter sportier LMs.

I chose the WS80s because in my works car park and the side street that lead to the main road don't get ploughed as often when it snows and i have a few steep hills en route to and from work so i just wanted to be able to get that extra traction. i don't run long miles and i don't see myself do a lot in winter.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Winter setup, Engaged! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414887686.124233.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	819.5 KB
ID:	168941

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 11-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #44

Region: Alabama
looks good. guess I better get on the ball and get something soon considering its already been below freezes and we got snow yesterday.
Medsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

winter setup suggestions

I couldn't help myself, it looks so sick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415374945.316012.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	169343

Old 11-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Nice, gives the Stang a real rugged look. I'm getting the LM32s, managed to find an extra set of brembo wheels for cheap to go with it.

When other people's stang are hiding away, ours will be out to play.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Let me know how the LM32s go. These a real grippy but mushy although going strait to winters and down an inch is a big change. It definitely rides the bumps and streetcar tracks better.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #48

Region: Ohio
so how is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMachine View Post
Thanks all if you need any tips I can try and help. Feel like I’ve spent the last 3 days on a crash course in tire specification training.

Mustang GT 5.0 2014 (stock brakes) min size is 18inch rim you can go 17 on the V6.

Current Setup:
Rims: Premium Factory Ford (5 Spoke) - 19x8.5
Tires: Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Seasons - 245/45/19R 98W

Winter Setup
Rims: Black Bullitt Mustang Wheel ((05-14 GT, V6) Fits stock brakes not Brembo) - 18x8
Tires: Bridgestone Blizzack WS80 - 225/55/18 98H

The 225s gives you 20mm narrower than the 19s and 10mm less than the stock 18s for more weight and cut through in snow and ice.

Thanks all

TM

Machine - I like the sounds of that setup, how is the winter performance? I assume a lot better, would you say it is definitely worth it?
Any issues?

I just got my 2014 appearance package mustang, states the same as your specs, P245/45R19 so I may just want to copy your setup...

i'm a newbie to the tire world...why are people saying go with narrow tires? Is it just because of the weight distribution?
chris2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

It's great so far! The weather has just turned now so its starting to snow (very lightly not settling) and the temps are around 5c to -5c but i have way loads of grip it feels greater than my all seasons in the summer!

I'm driving steady on them as i want them to last a few a seasons but the big differences i have noticed are:

I don't feel the car pulling me around when i run over the tram lines around downtown
It takes the bumps better
More grip
defiantly more sway / mushy feeling / wobble on steering input as the tread is so big and deep but it doesn't feel bad or unsettling just different but i least i know i have the grip.
Less direct input feel but running the steering wheel setting on sport helps tighten things up.

Also to note I've never felt the car on normal 18s before so to go down a rim size with an increase in tire wall and to go full winter tread has changed the feel input more than normal as i ran 19s before.

you could go with the LM32s or LM80s for a more positive feel but then you will compromise snow traction a little. don't be mistaken the LM32s or LM80s are still full winter tires they just have more of a performance car style tread and sidewall better for cold dry roads but they still handle ice snow and slush.

Going down one inch on wheel size (if you don't have brembos) give you more side wall for better bite and gives a little curb clearance, going narrower helps the car cut thought the snow and put more pressure on the slippy ice to get grip and bite in. if the tires were wide they would sit on top of the snow more. look at WRC rally cars, in snow stages their tires are studded and super skinny for more grip.

As for is it worth it, depends how cold it gets where you are but once you go below 7c your all seasons will be slippy. I got home in a few feet of snow in my all seasons just after i got the car back in March but boy did i wish i had what I have on now back then, it was scary. I got stuck in my works car park. I got a push out from friends after a college made tracks for me to follow in his Audi quattro A3 and then i gingerly drove home.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415991584.891681.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	169679

Old 11-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #51

Region: Ohio
thanks for the info Machine. As for me, I live in Northeast, OH, so we get a whole bunch of lake effect snow. We just had our first winter blast, and although we appear to have gotten a bit less than you, my 19" all seasons where definitely slipping a lot. Since I also have a crappy old buick, I might just put the pony in her stable for awhile. I'll look into a setup like yours and see if i can justify the cost this season. thanks again!
chris2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Since winter is almost over and I'll be putting the stock wheels and all seasons back on how did peeps get on. My Blizzak WS80s where AWESOME! I was in a foot of fresh snow doing a 3 point turn and didn't get stuck and drove around the city on unploughed roads with confidence. Wear is good and I still had a bit of fun too but took it steady. I'm deffo going to keep a winter setup mind set for any car I have.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427411720.213402.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	178438

Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
My Dunlop winter Maxx on the 14 GT were fair to poor compared to other brands I've used. I wouldn't recomend them. I even used them on a front drive Taurus also (same bolt pattern) and they still sucked.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
My Dunlop winter Maxx on the 14 GT were fair to poor compared to other brands I've used. I wouldn't recomend them. I even used them on a front drive Taurus also (same bolt pattern) and they still sucked.
Deffo recommend the Blizzaks. I was pulling away from the lights in a foot of snow laughing whilst other drivers where spinning. Pedestrians looked at me funny like "you driving that in the snow" and i'm like hell's yea i got more grip than ya'll running yea all seasons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires