winter setup suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
winter setup suggestions

Hey guys, I have a 2014 Mustang GT base and know I'm gonna need some good snow tires for this winter in NW Ohio. I got by with some Continental DWS when I had my Genesis, but it was sketchy at times.

My biggest question is will 17" wheels fit and if so which ones? From my searching I'm getting conflicting answers. I'm kind of on a budget of under 1k unless I can sell my Genesis wheels, but I haven't had any bites yet. Tire rack and tread depot both have 18" sets for around 1300, but TD and belle tire both think certain 17's may fit and I could get a set for right around a grand. But BT won't sell them without TPS and they want an extra 200 for that. TD will sell them without it, but not sure if its a good idea or not, although I guess it would just be the light to put up with and keep an eye on the tires.

I've also been searching ebay, but not much luck for snow tires. I found some used rims a little cheaper, but you really don't know what your getting and then you have to deal with lugging them around and getting tires installed, ect.
Medsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #2

Anybody? Surprisingly my dad said I should try to get by with the stock all seasons since they are nearly new and I have traction control or maybe just switch over the rear tires.

Idk, if this winter is anything like last year and since I'm going to be driving to work more days, I think I should get a good winter setup even if it stretches the budget at the moment. I just wish I could get an answer on which if any 17" wheels will fit.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I don't really know the answer to your 17s question, but I have a question of my own. Why not find a set of factory take-offs from a forum or craigslist and just slap some tires on those?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

I've actually been doing that too. But I'm having trouble finding any 18's for less than 500. At that price, when you figure in tires will be around 580 or so and adding in mounting and balancing, ect, it would end up being around the same price. 17's would be far less expensive, but I just received a message from a guy with 17 takeoffs and he said they won't clear the brakes. I still don't know if some aftermarket wheels will though.

Someone has 2 18" rims with nearly new blizzaks for 175 but he's out in CO and doesn't want to ship them. Maybe I should see if I could pay shipping, but I would still need 2 more wheels as I hear you are not supposed to mix winter and all seasons.

Edit: I just found some 19" mustang wheels with Pirelli Sottozero Winter Tires 255/40 only used for 1 season with starting bid of 599. Being wider and lower profile I'm sure they wouldn't be as good as 17's or 18's and I'm not sure what the reserve is, but I would think they would be better than stock all seasons so it might be worth it to bid on them. What do you guys think?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #5

Good news, the guy at TD found a couple 17" wheels that should fit. It would be just over 900 unless I get the TPS, then 160 more. But I also got a response from someone with OEM 18" wheels off a 2011 GT on lowering the shipping. They are only asking 200 and say they are like new, but there is only a pic of one wheel.

Decisions, decisions. If I go with the GT wheels, tires would be a little more and I would have to pay to have them mounted and balanced so it would most likely end up costing about the same.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medsport View Post
Good news, the guy at TD found a couple 17" wheels that should fit. It would be just over 900 unless I get the TPS, then 160 more. But I also got a response from someone with OEM 18" wheels off a 2011 GT on lowering the shipping. They are only asking 200 and say they are like new, but there is only a pic of one wheel.

Decisions, decisions. If I go with the GT wheels, tires would be a little more and I would have to pay to have them mounted and balanced so it would most likely end up costing about the same.
Im in the same boat. Cant afford more than $500 and I really need to get some tires as my cureent setup is not ment for much more than some heavy rain. im out in Boston so the winter here gets a little sketchy from what im being told
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

I think I'm going to go with the OEM 18" wheels. Total cost would only be about $260. I guess you can't beat that, even if I can find a beater later. Of course I will still have to get some snow tires and have them put on. btw, there should be no issues with fitment putting 2011 GT wheels on a 2014, correct?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I'm going to go with the OEM 18" wheels. Total cost would only be about $260. I guess you can't beat that, even if I can find a beater later. Of course I will still have to get some snow tires and have them put on. btw, there should be no issues with fitment putting 2011 GT wheels on a 2014, correct?
No you'll fine
Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #9

Great. What size tires do you guys think I should get? I know the stock tire is 235/50-18 and there are not a lot of selections reasonably priced at that size. There is Yokahama Ice guard for 139, Dunlop Winter max for 159, but Blizzak WS80 are a little pricey at 181. If I could go 235/55 I could get Blizzak DM-V1 for 158, but if 225/60 would fit ok I could get Firestone winterforce for only 107 each.

edit: the tire rack guy says the only other size that would fit good would be 225/55.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great. What size tires do you guys think I should get? I know the stock tire is 235/50-18 and there are not a lot of selections reasonably priced at that size. There is Yokahama Ice guard for 139, Dunlop Winter max for 159, but Blizzak WS80 are a little pricey at 181. If I could go 235/55 I could get Blizzak DM-V1 for 158, but if 225/60 would fit ok I could get Firestone winterforce for only 107 each.

edit: the tire rack guy says the only other size that would fit good would be 225/55.
I've been hearing that a narrower tire is what you want
Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I used continental DWS with 150lbs in trunk last winter here in Michigan and i did fine. Never got stuck even once. I plan to do the same this winter.
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #12

I finally decided to buy the wheels and I went to ebay and hit buy now and it says the listing has ended. Never mind, it sounds like she messed something up and had to relist them. After a few attempts it finally came back up. I hope it is legit as I just sent payment with Paypal. I think that service is pretty safe though. I decided to just have them sent to my house. Just hope they will come in the afternoon when I'm awake.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I am going to be getting winter tires soon too. I think it is better I get winter performance tires, I live in NYC, snow is a hit or miss, though we got a lot of snow last winter.

What do you guys think is better, Bridgestone Blizzak LM32 or Michelin Pilot Alpin or another brand? Which size is better, 245 or 255 /40/19? I have the Brembo brakes on my car, so I'm planning to just put the tires on my Brembo wheels and also not have to deal with the TPSs.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanine View Post
I am going to be getting winter tires soon too. I think it is better I get winter performance tires, I live in NYC, snow is a hit or miss, though we got a lot of snow last winter.

What do you guys think is better, Bridgestone Blizzak LM32 or Michelin Pilot Alpin or another brand? Which size is better, 245 or 255 /40/19? I have the Brembo brakes on my car, so I'm planning to just put the tires on my Brembo wheels and also not have to deal with the TPSs.
Just from all the research ive been seeing and reading up on, the narrower the tire the better. Plus your really going to pay a premium for the 19" tires. I have 18"s by choice and the difference from a 17" to an 18" has been pretty bad as far as price goes. Also the ratings on the Blizzak tires that ive seen have been great, sounds like if it's not the best winter tire than its deffinatly top 3!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #15

I got my rims! I knew it was too good to be true as they are not like new. There are a few rock chips on each one. But then again its just surface spots and they are going to be for winter so I guess the best you can expect for $200. I can always plastic dip them later. Now its time to find some decent tires.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #16

What do you guys think for tires? I think I have it narrowed down to either Cooper Weather-Master WSC in stock size 235/50 for $137 each or Dunlop Winter Maxx size 225/55 for $150. Although TR also has some Yokohama Iceguard iG20 for $139, but they are new and no surveys on those yet.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I downsized for winter to the 225/60-17 from stock 235/50-18. Picked up stock 17" wheels from someone on here, the 17" look alright and cost a lot less. Minus sizing does a lot for winter traction. So the 225s! Also I paid extra for Michelin xice3 tires, only winter I found with a 40k tread wear warranty. Mustang drives better then my awd BMW with all seasons in the snow now.

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #18

I guess I didn't specify, the rims I got were 18's. I could never get an answer if 17's would fit on the 2014 GT. Anyway, the guy at tread depot said 225/55 would fit, but that's pretty much the only other choice other than the stock 235/50.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Oh ok, the 225 will have better snow traction

You know that warm and fuzzy feeling? That means something bad is about to happen...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you guys think for tires? I think I have it narrowed down to either Cooper Weather-Master WSC in stock size 235/50 for $137 each or Dunlop Winter Maxx size 225/55 for $150. Although TR also has some Yokohama Iceguard iG20 for $139, but they are new and no surveys on those yet.
From what i have been hearing the narrower the better.

sadly 17" wont fit the GT,barkes are too big. which leaves me in a dilemma cause I need new brakes, like yesterday and I was going to upgrade to the GT rotor on my 6 now i think I have to wait...
Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The narrower tire the better, i would try to stay around a 225.

To be honest if your going to sink $500 plus into a winter setup, i would rather use the money and buy beater car, something FWD or 4x4/AWD and just drive that when it snows/might snow.
I dont want to subject the mustang to snowy salty roads, nevermind the dangerous people that cant drive in snow.
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylar View Post
The narrower tire the better, i would try to stay around a 225.

To be honest if your going to sink $500 plus into a winter setup, i would rather use the money and buy beater car, something FWD or 4x4/AWD and just drive that when it snows/might snow.
I dont want to subject the mustang to snowy salty roads, nevermind the dangerous people that cant drive in snow.
Its bad enough we have to subject our cars to the sad excuse for drivers during the rest of the year out hear lol
Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My winter set up decission

I have a 2014 5.0 GT So i'm looking at downsizing my stocks from 19s to 18s. As far as i can figure out 18 is as low as i can go for brake clearance. I'm in Canada so things get pricey.

Stock are 245/45/19 on 19x8.5s
Winters would be 235/50/18 on 18x8s

I'm looking at these wheels for winter and they still give me a bit of style
Solid Black Bullitt Mustang Wheel - 18x8 (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

And as for tires it's tough to get the right size and stock. I wanted the Blizzaks LM-60s but can't seem to get stock of them. I've been recommended Nokian's but i'm undecided yet. i could have a look at other brands any but recommendations would be appreciated?

Check this out for wheel sizer its awesome!
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Later

TM
Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I know its just me but it seams like such a waste to buy a nice new set of wheels just for winter. why not just find some beater wheels or something less attractive, plasti dip them for some slight style and added protection and save your mony for a really nice set of summer wheels and tires...
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #25

I almost pulled the trigger on the Weather Master tires as I really like the looks of the tread and they are supposed to be good, but can't decide if the road hazard protection is worth it for an extra $16 a tire or not?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

so i'm so torn right now on these three.

Blizzack WS80s
Toyo GSi5s
Nokian Hakk R2

all at size 235/50/18 on 18x8s

the main thing that puts me off the nokians is that they are R rated that's 5 speed ratings below my all seasons at W the other two are H. All have a load between 97-101 which is ok for the stang.

Any suggestions, experiences, thoughts?

Thanks

V
Old 10-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Go narrower....225/55 18 maybe or 225/50 18
Old 10-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the tips i worked out the 225/55/18 would give me 20mm narrow than my premium 19x8.5s and 10mm less than what the stock 18x8s are plus more sidewall so yea sounds good!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks all if you need any tips I can try and help. Feel like I’ve spent the last 3 days on a crash course in tire specification training.

Mustang GT 5.0 2014 (stock brakes) min size is 18inch rim you can go 17 on the V6.

Current Setup:
Rims: Premium Factory Ford (5 Spoke) - 19x8.5
Tires: Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Seasons - 245/45/19R 98W

Winter Setup
Rims: Black Bullitt Mustang Wheel ((05-14 GT, V6) Fits stock brakes not Brembo) - 18x8
Tires: Bridgestone Blizzack WS80 - 225/55/18 98H

The 225s gives you 20mm narrower than the 19s and 10mm less than the stock 18s for more weight and cut through in snow and ice.

Thanks all

TM
Old 10-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #30

good setup machine. I'm gonna have to order my tires any day now
Old 10-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Just from all the research ive been seeing and reading up on, the narrower the tire the better. Plus your really going to pay a premium for the 19" tires. I have 18"s by choice and the difference from a 17" to an 18" has been pretty bad as far as price goes. Also the ratings on the Blizzak tires that ive seen have been great, sounds like if it's not the best winter tire than its deffinatly top 3!
I have the track pack, so I need wheels that clear the Brembo brakes. I was just going to use my stock 19s, should I get 245/40 or 255/40? I'm going to get the Blizzak LM32s.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanine View Post
I have the track pack, so I need wheels that clear the Brembo brakes. I was just going to use my stock 19s, should I get 245/40 or 255/40? I'm going to get the Blizzak LM32s.
245/40. If you can get 235s on there the better. Those Blizzaks I hear are insane for snow use. Heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
winter setup suggestions

But are the blizzaks any good for general cold/frost/ice?

Or would general all-seasons be better, such as P Zero Neros?

Sent from near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
But are the blizzaks any good for general cold/frost/ice?

Or would general all-seasons be better, such as P Zero Neros?

Sent from near the center of the Milky Way
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Shred those P Zeros...they are garbage and do not belong. No they are ok for avg temp (50-90* temps) I wouldnt trust them in wet weather and wouyld NOT use them in snow or ice conditions.

The difference between a all winter tire and all seasons are that all season give you an avg drivability in most seasonal condition the problem is if you see temps below 45* on a regular basis during winter your tires rubber will be too hard for the tire to get a proper grip[ and you will have a very hard time maneuvering around with snow/slush/ice ( In a mustang you will be dead in your tracks)

A dedicated winter tire is great because it is able to maintain its conforming to the road while in sub 45* temps and the tread pattern they tend to have are good for dredging through snow very well.
Here:
http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_gui...-Explained.htm

You can find that link and others in this thread:
A beginner's guide to modifying your V6
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

winter vs all season vs summer

Watch this from here at 2:20 until the end. watch it all if you want more detailed info about tires and weather.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires