Can I run wider tires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hot Springs
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 38
Can I run wider tires?

Ok I have a 12 GT with American muscle wheels that are 10" wide in the back. Right now I have Nitto Invo 275/35/18 on the back and I was wondering what is the best size tire for the 10" wheel. My goal is the widest tire in the back without effecting cornering. Please help as I am lost. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Wildstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
305


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hot Springs
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
305


Bullitts are better than Bullets

I wonder if going from a 275 to a 305 will actually help me get a little more bite or if it would be just a cosmetic change? And would it be ok to run a 305 out back and keep 255 up front?


2012 GT Mods:
JLT 3
BBK headers w/ o/r/x
MGW Shifter
Eibach lowering springs w/ LCA's
Brenspeed dyno tune
404/381 to the ground
Wildstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstang86 View Post
I wonder if going from a 275 to a 305 will actually help me get a little more bite or if it would be just a cosmetic change? And would it be ok to run a 305 out back and keep 255 up front?
305s are approximately 30mm wider (depending on the tire manufacturer), so yes, you'll get more bite out of them. Each tire's contact area with the road is gonna be increased which translates to more traction.

Sent from the Death Star.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hot Springs
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
305s are approximately 30mm wider (depending on the tire manufacturer), so yes, you'll get more bite out of them. Each tire's contact area with the road is gonna be increased which translates to more traction.

Sent from the Death Star.

Thanks for your input. I just wasn't sure if it was enough to justify the cost of increasing tire size. And 305's won't have to much sidewall for corners?


2012 GT Mods:
JLT 3
BBK headers w/ o/r/x
MGW Shifter
Eibach lowering springs w/ LCA's
Brenspeed dyno tune
404/381 to the ground
Wildstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
It all depends on the tire. 305/25/18 would have less sidewall than 305/30/18. That middle number will be what determines how much sidewall there is. Take the 305/30/18 for example. The middle number is your sidewall height, the 30 meaning 30 percent of the tire width. In this case, it means the tire's sidewall is approximately 90mm because .30 x 305 = ~90.

Sent from the Death Star.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hot Springs
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
It all depends on the tire. 305/25/18 would have less sidewall than 305/30/18. That middle number will be what determines how much sidewall there is. Take the 305/30/18 for example. The middle number is your sidewall height, the 30 meaning 30 percent of the tire width. In this case, it means the tire's sidewall is approximately 90mm because .30 x 305 = ~90.

Sent from the Death Star.

Understood. Thank you for the explanation


2012 GT Mods:
JLT 3
BBK headers w/ o/r/x
MGW Shifter
Eibach lowering springs w/ LCA's
Brenspeed dyno tune
404/381 to the ground
Wildstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildstang86 View Post
Ok I have a 12 GT with American muscle wheels that are 10" wide in the back. Right now I have Nitto Invo 275/35/18 on the back and I was wondering what is the best size tire for the 10" wheel. My goal is the widest tire in the back without effecting cornering. Please help as I am lost. Thanks
You can definitely get away with a wider tire! For a 10" wide wheel I'd definitely go with a 305. I have 10.5's on the back of my 2011 GT and went with a 315/35/20 and love them! Great traction and perfect height.

Hope this helps! Let us know if we can lend a hand.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
prettyboy28364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fayetteville
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 51
wtg guys giving great advice>>>>305 for sure with keeping your 255's up front. I have a 93 Gt vert with 295/35/18 on a 10.5 wheel and I'm also thinking putting 305's on the rear. When I look for wheels and tires I like to google pics or in your case ask questions from members with pics if they have them. Good luck!!!
__________________
Mustang Lover 4 Life!!!
prettyboy28364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wider Tires on oem wheels Greg3 Mustang Wheels & Tires 30 02-08-2015 11:18 AM
Wider TIRES Krisis187 Mustang Wheels & Tires 11 01-24-2013 01:16 PM
Pros and Cons to Wider Rear Tires? tgmeyer Mustang Wheels & Tires 21 09-29-2012 12:54 PM
Wider tires?? 89 Foxloco 1979-1995 Mustang GT 26 05-24-2012 10:18 AM
Retune for wider tires? BossFiveOh 2011-2014 Mustang GT 7 05-02-2012 04:31 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:36 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.