Could use some wheel input! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Could use some wheel input!

I'm currently trying to figure out a wheel set up. My dilemma is that i wanted to get wheels without having to buy new tires and minimizes future tire costs/expensive of getting new rims. I also plan to lower it 1.5 all around.

I'm looking at the AMRs or 2013 GT500 rims. However, I plan to powder coat them gold so i wanted to get the cheapest set/color possible. I have 255's on there now.
or
I can either get 19x8.5 all around,
or
Staggered 19x8.5's front and 19x10 rear.
I can get either for about the same price.

I'm assuming if i went staggered (because a 19x8.5 seems a little small for the rear to me) a 255 would likely not fit correct and/or look dumb I'm going to have to invest in at least 2 new tires.

What should i do. Does staggering cause any problems with suspension on a lowered car?
115tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I just ordered staggered wheels and tires. Down side is you cant rotate but up side is they look killer!

I went with 255/35s on 20x8.5 up front and 295/35 on 20x10 in the rear. Shouldnt have a problem with lowering either.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'd say go staggered & buy 2 new tires for the rear.

Then you'll just have an extra set of front tires, which will work out fine as you can't rotate so you might need to replace a little sooner.

Though I think going "cheap" on wheels is a bad way to go.

Its like people buying a nice computer then a crappy 15" monitor. EVERYTHING you do has to go through that monitor.

Just like everything you do has to go through those tires.
Lighter wheels = better everything,
light/wide/sticky tires = better at everything.
Handling - turns, bumps, etc... are all affected by wheels/tires
Acceleration/braking - wheels, wheels, wheels, again

Cheap wheels in general are heavy. Check the weights before you go buy something just b/c they're the cheapest option.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
I'd say go staggered & buy 2 new tires for the rear.

Then you'll just have an extra set of front tires, which will work out fine as you can't rotate so you might need to replace a little sooner.

Though I think going "cheap" on wheels is a bad way to go.

Its like people buying a nice computer then a crappy 15" monitor. EVERYTHING you do has to go through that monitor.

Just like everything you do has to go through those tires.
Lighter wheels = better everything,
light/wide/sticky tires = better at everything.
Handling - turns, bumps, etc... are all affected by wheels/tires
Acceleration/braking - wheels, wheels, wheels, again

Cheap wheels in general are heavy. Check the weights before you go buy something just b/c they're the cheapest option.
Thanks. I think i'll just go the staggered route. They are AMR's and i think most people have loved them from the reviews i've read. I don't think they are necessary "cheap", but i understand what you are saying.

I've had staggered wheels on a car before. I'm just not sure if i want to go the same route. I just wish they made them in 19.9/9.5's.
115tang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires