Help with tires please? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Help with tires please?

I've been looking up new tires for my car, but not having much luck. My wheels are 19x8.5, when the car was on the lift a guy measured them and he said it was showing to be a 9" wide. But everything I've found on my factory wheel saids 8.5". So what should I go with 245/45 up front and 255/45 on the back? I seem to be finding brands with one or the other size but not both. I'm not looking for a tire that's best at one particular thing, but more decent/good in all conditions. Is there a tire that's good for winter, rain and that will hook good during the summer (again not the best in all those categories but somewhere between decent and good). If not then I'm more concerned with getting through the winter and rainy months. Maybe get a couple tires for the back during the summer months later on. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You're all over the place.

I got high performance summer tires, b/c I live in a place where its never snows or really gets cold, and if it was that cold I'd take one of my other 2 vehicles!

You either need all season tires if you live in a place with "real" 4 seasons. Or you need 2 sets of tires.... summer performance tires for warm weather and all season tires for winter.

I believe the OEM wheels are 8" or 8.5" wide and the matching tires are 235 or 245 wide (respectively) depending on the wheel. Then if you have a Brembo package, I think you get 9" wheels with 255 tires.

For general use, get 255 wide tires on all 4 corners. This allows you to rotate your tires and make them last longer. And they should fit on any of the stock wheels.

Now if you're looking for higher performance, go buy some new lighter, wider staggered wheels, and go like 255 in the front and 285-305+ in the rear.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You won't find a tire that is good for rain and snow, that also hooks on dry ground. There will be compromises you have to take in one category to be better in another category.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Usually it wouldn't be much of an issue, I would get a tire for dry and wet driving conditions. Last winter when I had my other mustang I drove my dodge stealth. My stealth is a twin turbo awd car, turned the boost down and didn't have any problems even when our suv wouldn't go. Unfortunately I ripped the axles out of it at the drag strip on launch and haven't had time to fix it yet.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If you want a good all around tire get the factory pirellis they aren't cheap though but works well in wet and dry weather
Cody5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Continental dws is one of the best dual purpose tires I have run. Have them on two of my cars and the price is great. Thousands of great reviews on tire rack too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I had seen them and was wondering how good they would be for mustangs. I'll check them out a bit more. I've got to take the car back to the dealership Monday for them to inspect the tires. They might be replacing them for me. I contacted them and talked to them about the condition of the tires. I got it up on a rack and noticed the tires were worn very bad on the inside and the mechanic suggested I contact the dealership. He said they shouldn't have let the car off the lot with how bad the tires are on it. Apparently they didn't expect the car before I bought it. So they told me to bring it back Monday and they will do an inspection on it. Keeping fingers crossed.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Just remember wider tires are better in the dry and narrower tires are better for snow and rain. Get two sets of wheels if possible, then you can have the best option year round.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Factory pirellis are pretty crapelli. Are the Conts des all seasons, I got p zero neros 245 19" and have hardly no wet traction. IMHO these tires should not be on an American muscle car. rrrr n SC
caliconv is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires