Wear on inside edges of front tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Wear on inside edges of front tires

I bought my 2012 v6 pony pkg. premium used with 27,000 miles. When I looked at the tires they were inflated to 50 lbs. and had uneven wear in the center tread of course. I fixed the pressures and rotated them and found both fronts also had a lot of wear on the inside edges. I don't believe they were ever rotated before this. My question is about the wear on the inside fronts. Is this normal front wheel wear or could the alignment be off? I checked and they are stock springs. Is there even any toe out adjustment on the stock suspension? I am getting new tires soon and would like to take care of any adjustments that would cause premature wear.
Thanks.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yes, I would say there's an out of alignment condition. You're either running too much negative camber or there's excess toe out. Either situation can cause that inside edge to wear too fast. The toe out condition can also affect fuel mileage slightly.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If they were never rotated this isn't uncommon. If the car drives well just leave it. It amazes me how many think the Max Pressure listed on the sidewall is the proper pressure for the car. When I bought my 03 GT from my brother he told me he always kept the tires at the proper pressure of 45 PSI. When I showed him the door jamb (35 PSI) and told him the car never rode, cornered, or accelerated like it should have he went back to the tire (not even OEM) and said "no, it says Max 45PSI and thats what I did. You can't fix stupid. Glad you know better.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The S197 Mustangs do not have full alignment capability. It is routine to find them with camber issues. I just replaced my front tires because of the same issue, and other members of my club have said they had the same problem. Since I was getting ready to upgrade my struts, I bought the GT500 strut mounts and Eibach camber adjustment bolts. The bolts are only $35, and you should have the front alignment done at the same time you install them. The bolts should solve the camber issue.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
It probably WAS lowered before with stock springs put back on before trading it in.

My stock springs & axlebacks are sitting in a box ready to be reinstalled for when I trade my car in, to make it look like it was mostly stock.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
It probably WAS lowered before with stock springs put back on before trading it in.

My stock springs & axlebacks are sitting in a box ready to be reinstalled for when I trade my car in, to make it look like it was mostly stock.
I guess it is possible it was lowered because it has PP struts, shocks and sway bars that were not available on automatics in 2012. But the wear seems to be still happening on the rotated tires. I am beginning to believe it is toe out that is causing it because It only effects the inside edge and the car is a bit "darty" but otherwise tracks straight as an arrow.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you have the coin just go ahead and buy the plates. The bolts will wear out eventually, plus they tend to get loose, but thats just my .02 I got the plates because I got tired of messing with the bolts.

Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC (Ret.)
satin06silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:28 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Plates are infinitely better than bolts

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
make dat **** hella flush yo. Hellaflush+Vtecyo = #jdmAs****
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires