20's in back, 19's in front...why? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
20's in back, 19's in front...why?

So I have searched and didn't find much, both here and in general, so if it's been covered, I apologize. Basically, is there a performance advantage to doing a 1 inch larger diameter wheel in back? Only thing I can think of is thinner sidewall. I have to think there is a performance advantage, as cars like the GT500, Z06, Viper, and many Ferraris use the setup...
DeJoe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
looks bad ***
UrMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I've been wondering about the same thing. I'm trying to decide between 19", 19" staggered, and a 19/20" setup. Mostly for looks, unless I get all crazy, and bolt a supercharger on my '10 V6.
Tuzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuzban View Post
I've been wondering about the same thing. I'm trying to decide between 19", 19" staggered, and a 19/20" setup. Mostly for looks, unless I get all crazy, and bolt a supercharger on my '10 V6.
That's kind of what I'm between. The roads up here in CT suck so I'm worried about 20's all around.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Same here in MA. I'm thinking of retiring it as a summer/fun car only, so it's time to get bigger wheels.

I'll let you know if I find any info. There must be someone running 19/20's.
Tuzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoe8 View Post
So I have searched and didn't find much, both here and in general, so if it's been covered, I apologize. Basically, is there a performance advantage to doing a 1 inch larger diameter wheel in back? Only thing I can think of is thinner sidewall. I have to think there is a performance advantage, as cars like the GT500, Z06, Viper, and many Ferraris use the setup...
Hey DeJoe8,

That's a good question and no apologies necessary (I took a quick look and couldn't find anything anyhow!) There's a couple perspectives on this:

1. Running a staggered setup will look better as you're going to have a considerable larger rear wheel and tire. It's just that much more mean looking! The only down side in my opinion is that when it comes time to rotate the wheels and tires they can't really go up front! So you'll run into that and when you're inevitably going to replace the rear tires they're going to be a little more than your 19's would be.

2. From a performance perspective it's a no brainer; wider rear wheel and tire = better traction and handling.

Let me know if you have any other questions at all about Wheel and Tire setups and I'm here to help out and if you don't have our forums discount code shoot me a PM and I'll get you setup!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey DeJoe8,

That's a good question and no apologies necessary (I took a quick look and couldn't find anything anyhow!) There's a couple perspectives on this:

1. Running a staggered setup will look better as you're going to have a considerable larger rear wheel and tire. It's just that much more mean looking! The only down side in my opinion is that when it comes time to rotate the wheels and tires they can't really go up front! So you'll run into that and when you're inevitably going to replace the rear tires they're going to be a little more than your 19's would be.

2. From a performance perspective it's a no brainer; wider rear wheel and tire = better traction and handling.

Let me know if you have any other questions at all about Wheel and Tire setups and I'm here to help out and if you don't have our forums discount code shoot me a PM and I'll get you setup!

Alex
Thanks for the reply. I understand the staggered setup, I'm doing that regardless, I'm just torn between staggered what size to do the stagger with. I don't track my car, and it's only a nice weather car, so 20's look nice, 19's give me more rubber for crappy roads. Maybe 19's in the front would give me a split second extra to slow down to not ruin the 20's in the back lol. I'm just wondering if there's a difference between a staggered setup of the same size, and the 1 inch difference.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey DeJoe8,

Alex
I think looks is the main reason why most companies do different diameter sizes but do the wheel width for performance. Your point 2 is correct for a wider rim but not necessarily a larger diameter rim. Generally bigger rims are heavier. So from a performance standpoint if you have 19x10's in the back with 19x8's in the front that will offer better performance then if you have 20x10's in the back with 19x8's as you have the same width tire but it would be smaller/ lighter.

And they make 20 inch rims in 8 inch width which wont offer any benefits (aside from looks) over a 17x 8 rim. And if it weighs more it will hurt performance. I just mention this because in the OP's original post he seemed to focus on the rim diameter opposed to the width of the rim. He suggests a thinner sidewall increases performance and I just don't see any benefit to a thinner sidewall all other things being equal as if you compare the same type of rims the larger diameter will be heavier.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJoe8 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I understand the staggered setup, I'm doing that regardless, I'm just torn between staggered what size to do the stagger with. I don't track my car, and it's only a nice weather car, so 20's look nice, 19's give me more rubber for crappy roads. Maybe 19's in the front would give me a split second extra to slow down to not ruin the 20's in the back lol. I'm just wondering if there's a difference between a staggered setup of the same size, and the 1 inch difference.
Wheel size has nothing to do with how much rubber you have on the ground. That all depends on the tire size. You can fit same with tire on say a 19x9 as a 20x9.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
Wheel size has nothing to do with how much rubber you have on the ground. That all depends on the tire size. You can fit same with tire on say a 19x9 as a 20x9.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm not talking about rubber to the ground, I'm talking about the series of tire and keeping the outside diameter the same. Yes, it could be changed with a tuner, but wanna keep it close to stock. The GT500 has 40 series tires on the front and 35 series tires on the rear to keep outside diameter similar.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Twenties all around.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426861172.538709.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	177929Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426861193.642150.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	177930Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426861228.487637.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	177931

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
73jd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice grabber blue. Like the matte black stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nice grabber blue. Like the matte black stripes.

Thanks, I'm loving the stang!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1429632590.370245.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	180602Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1429632605.670888.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	180603

73jd31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires