Summer tires vs. All season tires. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Summer tires vs. All season tires.

My 2004 GT has 245/45R17 summer tires on it. (not sure of make) tires are fairly new with only 5000 miles on them. They are indeed summer tires. I went to take my Mustang out for a little drive with my father (his first ride in the car) couldn't make it out of my driveway.

I understand summer tires have rubber compound that doesn't like cold weather there for making traction difficult to say the least. My dad has a set of uniroyal tiger paw gtz tires on his Lincoln LS. I ordered a set for my Mustang for use on the stock Bullitt wheels. The summer tires I can use of a set of aftermarket wheels down the road.

So what you prefer on your Mustang? Summer high performance? Or all season high performance?
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Both. Mine came with the summers but from late fall till mid-spring I use a set of take-offs with the Neros I scored of a member here. There is a big differance in grip and when I asked about running summer onlys in cold weather ( NOT snow just cold) the majority of the people that said it's OK were from south of the mason/dixon line. I'm in CT if that helps your decision
Old 02-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm up in northern MN. It gets cold. Lol
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
After one of my stock Pirelli Nero Zero summer tires came apart on me on the highway last summer (it was 9 years old), I thought long and hard about what to replace tires with (as other tires were just as old). For me, I will take car out of storage as soon as weather gets in 40-50s. As such, I went with performance all season (Michelin Pilot Sport AS3).

I test drove the car last April when it was still quite cold out and the Pirellis felt terrible until they warmed up. The Pilot Sports in comparison felt fine until I put car away last November. I would have loved to simply get the Pilot Super Sports instead, but being up north limits our choices somewhat unless you want to only drive car comfortably for a few months.

Ideally, I'd just run separate rims with dedicated summer tires in the hotter months, but I already have set of separate winter tires/rims for my Maxima, and plan on getting another set of winter tires/rims for our SUV this fall. I cannot justify having two sets of tires for a seasonally driven car. Not to mention my wife will kill me if I turn our basement into Discount TIre!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Nice. I just ordered a set of the Uniroyal GTZ tires for my stock wheels. Will keep the summer tires for a set of aftermarket wheels for down the road. Set of 4 Uniroyal cost me $370 at dealer net.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhgt View Post
After one of my stock Pirelli Nero Zero summer tires came apart on me on the highway last summer (it was 9 years old), I thought long and hard about what to replace tires with (as other tires were just as old). For me, I will take car out of storage as soon as weather gets in 40-50s. As such, I went with performance all season (Michelin Pilot Sport AS3).

I test drove the car last April when it was still quite cold out and the Pirellis felt terrible until they warmed up. The Pilot Sports in comparison felt fine until I put car away last November. I would have loved to simply get the Pilot Super Sports instead, but being up north limits our choices somewhat unless you want to only drive car comfortably for a few months.

Ideally, I'd just run separate rims with dedicated summer tires in the hotter months, but I already have set of separate winter tires/rims for my Maxima, and plan on getting another set of winter tires/rims for our SUV this fall. I cannot justify having two sets of tires for a seasonally driven car. Not to mention my wife will kill me if I turn our basement into Discount TIre!

Your wife might go for thisClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425147145.100588.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	176344

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Your wife might go for thisAttachment 176344

Awesome pic! Yes she would, but then she and the kids would scratch them, cant have that!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I ran dedicated summer and winter wheels so I preferred running the summer tires whenever possible. If it's a year round driver and you don't have a second set of wheels I would just stick with all seasons. My second set of wheels I ended up just buying all seasons for them because I got a good deal on them.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
There is no such thing as winter over here so summer tires year round.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Dave, thx for the photo (is it wrong that I kinda like how those seats look?)

plz feel free to add a pun about skid marks.

poor impulse control
Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

We hit a high of 27* today. Was able to drive up the driveway and on to the road. Took it out for a quick spin. Heated up the tires and was able to drive up the driveway just fine.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

In September of 2013 I bought my wife a2013 Roush RS Gotta have it green as a gift for our 20th wedding anniversary
The Roush RS is a V6 that Roush lowers and adds some appearance stuff to
The one thing I didd not notice is the wheel and tire package is the 255/40-19 ford brembo track pack wheel with Pirelli P zero summer only tires
I knew immediately I had to change them for not only snow but simply cold
I have a 2010 GT significantly modified with Roush supercharger and suspension etc and have learned summer only means summer only!
Not spring not faul at least in Michigan
So I consulted the guys at Roush speed shop and they recommended Cooper zenon RS 3 A
This is the tire Roush developed for stage 3 cars but the A stands for All season as opposed to the S for summer
I bought a set from Discount tire for $1260 OTD including sipping (small cuts put in tread blocks to help iced traction)
We have had 2 of the worst winters in Michigan history the last 2 winters and this car has not gotten stuck yet and is very stable and predictable on the highway as well
I would highly recommend them
By the way summer grip is very good I would say very close to the Pirelli P zero summer only I am running on my 2010 GT
Jakkbeyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The only time that my RE-11 summer only street tires have scared me was this last Tuesday when we had three inches of solid ice on the roads in Virginia Beach. That said, I did make it the 40 miles from the shop to my house in those conditions on wide, summer only tires. They can be used in the snow, you just have to be really careful (plan ahead, as you will need a running start at inclines)...

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I can imagine all the snow, and ice that the country has seen this winter... It might of caught a few people off guard.

My sister put her Expedition in the ditch on her way home tonight, and we had to pull her out.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Summer tires vs. All season tires.

Soo being in New Orleans means I can run summer all year? The coldest it gets here is maybe 30-35 degrees and snow is almost impossible
Mustangreazon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Yeah, you will be fine on summer tires. Just remember that they will be less grippy in the cold (some more so than others). I have had no issues with the RE-11 around 0 degrees (the factory PZero summer only tires had a habit of becoming very exciting below 30).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post
Soo being in New Orleans means I can run summer all year? The coldest it gets here is maybe 30-35 degrees and snow is almost impossible
if you are careful you should be OK. If you forget and go fast around a corner and it's below 40-45 things may be interesting. The Pirelli's say 45 deg in their manual. Although I think you'll be fine if you have the $ a set of take-offs to run for 3 months a year will be less than any minor accident
Old 03-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I was out driving my Boss Saturday with Pirelli summer Tires and it was 28 and they were fine. Just don't throw the car into any corners or get into too hard and everything will be ok. I don't know that I would run the car any harder than I was in the cold even with an all season tire.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425524764179.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	176699

Tires showed up this week. New wheels should be here tomorrow. Ordered 17x9 Cobra wheels.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires