How to remove tire shine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
How to remove tire shine?

I have some of turtle wax's "Black Tire Coating" on my tires and it looked nice and did what it was supposed to but after 4 months it's started to haze and turn a pretty nasty yellow color. I was able to live with it through the winter but it has to go now.

Turtle wax says to use a wire brush or BBQ brush to remove it. I tried this and it would literally take days for me to get through it.

Has anyone has any luck with a "tire safe" solvent that will just liquify the coating? Perhaps a soft wire brush for a drill would do the trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Why was the title changed? If I wanted to remove tire shine I would just spray it with a hose.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I wouldn't use anything stronger than a scotchbrite pad.....I like Aerospace 303 as it does not give a realy shiny look. Maybe try that to see what it does w/o removing the other stuff but idk
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't know if it'll work on the spray kind but usually i just spray my wheels down with degreaser and let it sit till im don't washing the car and then spray the wheels with water?

Or maybe Googone on a rag or even paint thinner maybe? I can't imagine having to "sand" it off
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I wouldn't use anything stronger than a scotchbrite pad.....I like Aerospace 303 as it does not give a realy shiny look. Maybe try that to see what it does w/o removing the other stuff but idk
I've heard of this before but I never see it in stores. Where do you purchase it from? I'd like to try it once I get this stuff off lol.

Also, are all scotch brite pads the same in terms of grit? This might actually work. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
I don't know if it'll work on the spray kind but usually i just spray my wheels down with degreaser and let it sit till im don't washing the car and then spray the wheels with water?

Or maybe Googone on a rag or even paint thinner maybe? I can't imagine having to "sand" it off

What do you use as a degreaser? Like power purple or something?

I might have to resort to the paint thinner idea. Do we know if this is "tire safe" in small doses?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Oh man that stinks. I almost bought that stuff and used it, The Turtle Wax stuff, but after googling some reviews I found everybody had your same experience.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
I've heard of this before but I never see it in stores. Where do you purchase it from? I'd like to try it once I get this stuff off lol.

Also, are all scotch brite pads the same in terms of grit? This might actually work. Thanks!

What do you use as a degreaser? Like power purple or something?

I might have to resort to the paint thinner idea. Do we know if this is "tire safe" in small doses?

I bought my 303 Aerospace off eBay. Later I found out Cabelas sells it. I do have one about 20 minutes from me, but I know they don't have that many stores so you may not be so lucky.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Oh man that stinks. I almost bought that stuff and used it, The Turtle Wax stuff, but after googling some reviews I found everybody had your same experience.

Yeah, most people were like you and saw the tire coating on the shelfs and decided it was too good to be true. I kind of wish I did too. :p

It really did work incredibly well until it turned yellow! I would just spray them off with a regular hose (no nozzle) and they would be shiny as could be. We will see if I can get this off. If I can do it pretty easy I might try another tire coating, if it's a major struggle I won't be using anything like this again.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Timed out and it sent two, sorry!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Sbrite is that green (usually) scrubbing pads found in cleaning...walmart, Home deot, stop shop. Yes they sell different grits but they are harder to find.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #11

Region: North Carolina
The best thing I have used to get tire dressing off is a cleaner like Purple Power, 409, or something like that and a strong dish washing detergent like Joy. I spray the tire liberally with the cleaner, then squirt a lot of Joy into a stiff tire brush, spray the tire brush to make it suds up and lightly spray the tire with water, then scrub. This has worked for me before to get tire dressing off.
HorseFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you put paint thinner on a rag and wipe im sure it be fine i just wouldnt soak it and let it sit for a while
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Anytime I really want to scrub my tires down to some legit clean rubber I use comet (powder cleaner like Ajax) on a good bristled scrubber. Wet the tire and the brush, sprinkle the comet on the brush and go to town. This works for me but I don't have experience with that turtle wax stuff.

I'd stay away from thinner since it has a tendency to dry things out like rubber
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

What kind of tire dressing stays on like that is my question?????

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
What kind of tire dressing stays on like that is my question?????

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Here's a link to the Meguiar's and Armor All counterparts. The Turtle wax version doesn't seem to be on shelves anymore and is no longer listed on their website (I suspect for this reason).

http://www.meguiars.com/m-en/product...k-tire-coating

http://m.armorall.com/products/exter...st-tire-glaze/

Got some scotch brite pads, power purple, and some lacquer thinner today and placed an order for some aerospace 303.

I have an old tire that I am currently testing the paint thinner on right now. I soaked a rag in it and left it on the tire. I'll check back tomorrow and see if it hurt the tire, if not then I'll consider that safe to use on my good tires. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll report back once I start this endeavor lol

Old 03-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

All right the verdict is in. Power purple was completely ineffective but the paint thinner worked like a charm.

Put a little on a rag and it most of it would come right off, what didn't would soften up considerably and was easy to take off with the scotchbrite pads.

Couldn't of been easier, thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
I have some of turtle wax's "Black Tire Coating" on my tires and it looked nice and did what it was supposed to but after 4 months it's started to haze and turn a pretty nasty yellow color. I was able to live with it through the winter but it has to go now.

Turtle wax says to use a wire brush or BBQ brush to remove it. I tried this and it would literally take days for me to get through it.

Has anyone has any luck with a "tire safe" solvent that will just liquify the coating? Perhaps a soft wire brush for a drill would do the trick?

Mine were picking up a lot of gunk too. You should just get a brush and it should come off nicely. The problem is that it may of dried out your tire a little too.
5.0FordMustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires