Reverse Drop Center wheels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Region: Louisiana
Reverse Drop Center wheels

So soon enough I'll be putting on my Niche Intake wheels. While they did come with tires, I'll be adding TPMS which will require a re-balance. There are no weights on the wheel currently so they may not even be balanced yet. While researching I found that these are "Reverse Drop Center" and require different equipment (or maybe the same equipment just used differently) from a standard mount/balance. I also found that some brands have issues with water collecting which then causes vibration at high speeds.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Lots of the threads I found were old, 2003-2005 so maybe it's no longer a problem? I inspected the wheels and have a hard time seeing where any water would collect as the wheel seems to step down from inside to outside.

Is there anything I should be concerned with when having the TPMS installed and the wheels balanced? I will probably go to a rim shop instead of the dealer since I assume they will have more experience with aftermarket stuff.

Last thing, any way to avoid the stick-on weights? I don't care about weights on the inside of the rim, but the stick-on weights look bad, IMO.

Pic of what will soon be on.

Have a Raxiom nav system? Hate having two antennas? Contact me to wire your nav thru your factory satellite radio antenna!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Georgia
Yeah, they are a reverse-mount wheel, which means the "bead seat" is on the inside of the wheel. The tire shops use the same equipment - just "backwards", if you will. They should have some plastic/rubber sleeves that slide over the clamps on their tire changing machine, so it does not damage the front face/lip of your wheel when they clamp it. They should break the bead all the way around on the front face of the wheel and only in one spot on the back. They will then clamp the tire/wheel face down onto the machine and use a (hopefully) protected duckhead and spoon to get the tire up over the bead-seat/lip of the backside of the wheel. It's super easy if they know what they are doing.

Also, I would definitely use the sticky weights. You can "static" balance them, but this will not be as accurate as dynamic balancing - only because they will use the sticky weights only on one side on the inner lip of the wheel, as opposed to inner and outer. You could try the balancing beads too, that you put into your tire, but I have no personal experience with those.
Current Whip: 2013 Mustang GT Premium
BAMA Tuned, Boss IM,Pypes cat-back exhaust, Lethal o/r x-pipe, Airaid CAI, BMR lca's w/ relo brackets, J&M PanHard Bar, Barton 2 post short shifter w/bracket, Ford Racing lowering springs, 20x10.5/20x9 Vossen CV3's, JTL Driver and Passenger Side Oil Separators, Sound-tube delete, Redline Elite hood struts, XPEL clear bra, Weather Tech Floor mats, Black 5.0 badges, LED lights throughout, Custom stripes and roof vinyl.
ATL5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires