Forgestar vs RTR vs Shelby ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Forgestar vs RTR vs Shelby ?

I am hesitating between which wheel brand to choose from. Forgestar or RTR or Shelby. I know that Vossen and HRE offer better quality, but they are way more expensive, too. I am looking at cast wheels (non-forged).
Which brand should I choose from?
I heard that there had been quality issue with Forgestar. Is that true?
Should I go with 19' or 20' ?

Thanks for answering!!
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quality issues with Forgestar? I've never heard of that. They should be stronger than cast wheels since they're rotary forged. I can't speak for RTR or Shelby, but from what I've seen, Forgestar makes the best wheels for the price point.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I have also never heard of forgestar wheels having issues. I guess I'm biased because I love mine. Man are they light and sexy 😬. If you pm someone like Alex from AM he can hook you up. I couldn't afford 419.99x4 just for wheels so I picked one up in Ebay (aftermarketpros which sells am stuff that gets returned) for 118 bucks, then got another at the AM scratch and dent tent at the show for 220, then Alex helped me with the other 2. All and all I spent way less and there is nothing wrong with the wheels I bought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1447368768.240844.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	193519

I think all those companies make great wheels by the way. I think it really boils down to what you like style wise and if weight and price matter to you.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the reply! Can 305/30/R20 tire fit on 20x10.5 rim?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

And BTW, are Verde wheels good quality? I really like Verde Axis series wheels
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiyuhan View Post
Thanks for the reply! Can 305/30/R20 tire fit on 20x10.5 rim?

Easily.

I have 285 35 on my 19x10's and they fit no prob. I could prob run 305 on my 10" wheel. Most wheel specs will tell you what the recommended sizes are.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Easily.

I have 285 35 on my 19x10's and they fit no prob. I could prob run 305 on my 10" wheel. Most wheel specs will tell you what the recommended sizes are.
Gotcha.
Yeah I like Forgestar too, they are just too expensive. 480/piece.. That's why I turned to Verde, which looks very nice too but just dont know how is the brand's quality
Old 11-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiyuhan View Post
Gotcha.
Yeah I like Forgestar too, they are just too expensive. 480/piece.. That's why I turned to Verde, which looks very nice too but just dont know how is the brand's quality
You get what you pay for bro. Under $200 per wheel is cheap enough to be scary, especially when the manufacturer website doesn't mention the product development process at all. That's why the Forgestars are such a good compromise at around $400 per wheel. You're not going full traditional forged at $1,000 per wheel, but you're also not going with cheap materials and forming processes at $150 per wheel either.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Check out the new Shelby Super Snake style wheels at AM.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would say pick the lightest wheel that you like the appearance of. Weight makes so much difference in performance.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Been running Forgestars street and track for a while now and they are a good value. They have held up very well and still look new. They would be my first choice out of everything you listed.

I have heard about quality issue with finish on some forgestar wheels. I bought my first set through AM 19x10 on all four corners with 285's. When I got them one of the wheels had a slight bend in the lip. AM handled things well and had a new one on my doorstep in a couple of days. Still some of the best wheels on the market and my first choice.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
You get what you pay for bro. Under $200 per wheel is cheap enough to be scary, especially when the manufacturer website doesn't mention the product development process at all. That's why the Forgestars are such a good compromise at around $400 per wheel. You're not going full traditional forged at $1,000 per wheel, but you're also not going with cheap materials and forming processes at $150 per wheel either.

While I agree, knockoff wheels are no bueno, I recently went through an automated car wash in a moment of weakness and one of my SVE Drifts got scratched. Had these been $1000 wheels I would have burned the car wash down. Even at $400 a wheel there would have been murderous thoughts. As it is I paid $450 for the set last black Friday...so 0 ****s were given.

I can't fathom the anxiety I would have rolling around on $1k wheels. Guess I'm too cheap.

Buy a wheel from a known quantity (AMR, LMR, RTR, etc), and even at $150/wheel they should roll you down the highway just fine. I wouldn't count on them to survive a Detroit pothole, but what does it matter when you can just get a whole new wheel.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a nice set of F14's in bronze. But then I would be in jail for murdering a car wash entrepreneur, so I'll consider myself lucky I cheaped out.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
While I agree, knockoff wheels are no bueno, I recently went through an automated car wash in a moment of weakness and one of my SVE Drifts got scratched. Had these been $1000 wheels I would have burned the car wash down. Even at $400 a wheel there would have been murderous thoughts. As it is I paid $450 for the set last black Friday...so 0 ****s were given.

I can't fathom the anxiety I would have rolling around on $1k wheels. Guess I'm too cheap.

Buy a wheel from a known quantity (AMR, LMR, RTR, etc), and even at $150/wheel they should roll you down the highway just fine. I wouldn't count on them to survive a Detroit pothole, but what does it matter when you can just get a whole new wheel.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a nice set of F14's in bronze. But then I would be in jail for murdering a car wash entrepreneur, so I'll consider myself lucky I cheaped out.
Which begs the question: if you're concerned about your car's condition, why are you going through automated car washes instead of hand washing?

But on a serious note, I'd rather daily a set of expensive wheels that I know can take the potholes of Houston than risk it on some cheaper quality wheels that might not just bend but also cause the bead on the tire to pop. The latter actually happened to me on a highway going 60mph and threw me into several spins while I was surrounded by cars. Luckily the only thing that got torn up was the wheel that caused the event and not any of the other cars. But I learned my lesson: don't cheap out on the things that connect you to the ground.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I recently purchased a 2012 GT with Shelby CS69 18x9 wheels. Not sure what caused it but the clear coating has been peeling off. They were that way when I bought the car so I don't know what they were exposed to, if anything. The car only had 10k on it so I think its a bit of a concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00A0A_aXjJX2eqb6g_600x450.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	194138  
tsidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires