Best all season or summer tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Best all season or summer tires

Hey guys I'm coming up on my time to get new tires all around and was wondering what would be best. I live in Cali so summers are hot and winters are bout 40 degrees. I was leaning toward Michelin sports a/s 3s. Anyone have any personal experience with these tires? My ears are open to all suggestions!
Sunnycalibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have good luck with the Pirelli P Zero Nero in all weather conditions.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I have spent a lot of money on a lot of tires over the years. My favorite so far are my current set for both looks and performance. Eagle F1 GS D-3 a little pricey but NAAAAASSSTTYY!
UnrealSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
If you are looking at the pilot a/s I would also consider the Pilot Super Sport. I have found them to be a good jack of all trades performance tire. I run them in Seattle year round and use them on lapping days. They do well in all conditions but snow.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Michelins have always been my favorite brand no matter what I'm driving. But for the money look at the Cooper Xeon RS3-s They are a great summer tire. They are the one that Roush puts on all their builds. Roush and Cooper co-developed that tire. Great tire, about $300 each. They also have an all season, I hear good things about it but I don;t have any experience with that one.
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
If you are looking at the pilot a/s I would also consider the Pilot Super Sport. I have found them to be a good jack of all trades performance tire. I run them in Seattle year round and use them on lapping days. They do well in all conditions but snow.
If you are willing to go with a pilot super sport, you might as well go with a Bridgestone RE-11. They are better in the rain than the PSS (less likely to hydroplane), and have more grip. I have run them in a temperature range of -14 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit. They get a bit slick below freezing, but as long as you are not a complete idiot, you are fine. Snow is not recommended (I have used them in the snow though). I probably have the highest mileage set on my car, just passed 44,000 miles with over 1/4 tread to go (driving in the snow does harden the compound a bit).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
If you are willing to go with a pilot super sport, you might as well go with a Bridgestone RE-11. They are better in the rain than the PSS (less likely to hydroplane), and have more grip. I have run them in a temperature range of -14 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit. They get a bit slick below freezing, but as long as you are not a complete idiot, you are fine. Snow is not recommended (I have used them in the snow though). I probably have the highest mileage set on my car, just passed 44,000 miles with over 1/4 tread to go (driving in the snow does harden the compound a bit).
I have no experience with the Bridgestone but hear good stuff about it. I will likely give them a go next round . I would expect we are getting close to splitting hairs for street and commute. I will say I have had some very wet track days on the PSS and never had an issue with hydroplane or grip.
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

Nitto nt850's hold up to Tennessee snow and are monsters on the street. I keep them on my stock 17x8 wheels for winter but they only carry limited 18" sizes. Mounted and balanced for $500 for 235/55/17.

For my 18x9/10 I run sumitomo HTR ZIII/ZII. I only run those during the warm months though, and they are $540 for just the tires, no mount/balance.

05 Mustang GT
Satin Silver Metallic
CAI
3.73s
Hurst/SR Frankenstein short throw
SilverS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have the coopers zeons rs3/a all season been very happy with them so far with black fri and cyber mon coming up should find some good deals on them ..Got mine last yr from discount tire for a very good price.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycalibear View Post
Hey guys I'm coming up on my time to get new tires all around and was wondering what would be best. I live in Cali so summers are hot and winters are bout 40 degrees. I was leaning toward Michelin sports a/s 3s. Anyone have any personal experience with these tires? My ears are open to all suggestions!
I put these tires on last year, and have been very impressed thus far. Excellent dry and wet handling. Tires are also glass smooth and quiet.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

sumitomo HTR ZIII/ZII were the worst tires I ever had on my mustang. No traction,handling sucked, but they did last a long time

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerz28 View Post
sumitomo HTR ZIII/ZII were the worst tires I ever had on my mustang. No traction,handling sucked, but they did last a long time

The Sumitomo ZII's and ZIII's are vastly different tires. The ZII's date back to the early 2000's, and while looking good are an old and outdated tire. The only thing they have going for them is price.

The ZIII's are an entirely different animal. Newer asymetric design, offers excellent grip for the category they are designed to compete with, and also offer good road manners. I have a set of 275/40/19's all the way around my Mustang and they offer a better ride then the factory P Zeros while also offering a grip improvement. After the Koni's and Steeda springs, the car is on rails. The only complaint I have is they will flat spot if left parked for a week or more, and mine required more weight to balance then they ought too. However the cheap SVE Drift wheels are partially to blame for that. For the money I paid, I will not complain. They were half the price of a set of Pilot Super Sports, but are certainly not half the tire.

If money was no object, then Pilot Super Sports all the way for a great summer only tire, and Pilot AS 3's for a car that will see temperatures below 40 degrees.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Best all season or summer tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
The Sumitomo ZII's and ZIII's are vastly different tires. The ZII's date back to the early 2000's, and while looking good are an old and outdated tire. The only thing they have going for them is price.

The ZIII's are an entirely different animal. Newer asymetric design, offers excellent grip for the category they are designed to compete with, and also offer good road manners. I have a set of 275/40/19's all the way around my Mustang and they offer a better ride then the factory P Zeros while also offering a grip improvement. After the Koni's and Steeda springs, the car is on rails. The only complaint I have is they will flat spot if left parked for a week or more, and mine required more weight to balance then they ought too. However the cheap SVE Drift wheels are partially to blame for that. For the money I paid, I will not complain. They were half the price of a set of Pilot Super Sports, but are certainly not half the tire.

If money was no object, then Pilot Super Sports all the way for a great summer only tire, and Pilot AS 3's for a car that will see temperatures below 40 degrees.
I had 275/35/18 and 285/35/18 ZIII's and had no traction in first second although mine is a 2004 so it's not the same as your 2012. But for my application I wasn't impressed

parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I've had a taste of several tires out there. Michelins are usually best. The SuperSports are an amazing tire that you can't go wrong with.

I agree with the above that Sumitomo are tires to stay away from. The Bridgestone RE-11s are bang for the buck as a summer tire (cheap and very functional) however not the best on track (if you're into that).

I have the track pack, and not a fan of the stock Pirelli's that it came with.
jeffrey5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

P Zero Nero's all season
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Michelin Sport AS3 is what I've just had put on for over the winter. HUGE difference over P Zeros in terms of noise. Day and night difference. AS3s are whisper quiet. Pretty decent wet grip - yet to venture onto frost... Would recommend.

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #17

Region: Kansas
I'm gonna give BFGoodrich Tires g-Force Comp 2 A/S's a try.
madmikeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I use a set of take-off P Zero Nero all season for the winter months and I break loose on dry pavement, constantly. Scary compared to my stock summer only Goodyear Eagle tires.

I certainly wouldn't recommend them for someone with a 2013 GT, tuned (417 rwhp 420 rwtq) and with 3.55 gears.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires