Front End Alignment - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Front End Alignment

So, bought the wife new wheels and tires for her 2014 v6 coupe. Bullit 18x9 with Nitto 555's from AM. When taking the old ones off I saw that the front tires were wearing on the inside. Car has 47000 on it. We thought that we should get car aligned so as to get a good start on the new wheels. We did a home garage check on car. Toe checked out OK but camber looked off. Called a front end shop, told them what we found, set up appointment. Took car to shop today and our findings were confirmed. Camber off. Talked to them about camber bolts. They said, "We don't like them" We prefer to slot the strut towers to achieve the camber adjustment. We said OK. Drove car home, 60mi, and the steering felt lighter and seemed to handle AOK. Has anyone else had similar experience. I'm worrying about having towers sloted.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
This is a normal thing to do amongst racers who are in restrictive classes (this could be argued as a "wear and tear" thing as opposed to a performance enhancing modification). It is kind of silly that Ford designed these cars to be completely nonadjustable in terms of caster and camber, especially considering their generally poor QC in terms of ensuring that the front end is square at the factory.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the reply. Hearing racers do makes us feel better. Doubt if we drive our car as hard as a racer on Hwy 299. Hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Another common one is to slot the lower hole on the bottom of the strut to get some extra camber.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But mulling it over now I guess doing the towers makes sense for future alignment jobs.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
There is an approved method for this:

Ford Service Manuals - GENERAL PROCEDURES

Slotting the tower is not the way to do it. If you want to have adjustability from the tower side, you should get a set of camber plates:

Vorshlag Ford '05-'14 S197 Mustang Aluminum Camber/Caster Plates & Perches - Vorshlag LLC

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So, we went back to the front end shop and asked if they did the towers or struts.
They assured us they did the struts. So when we got home I got under and over the car and indeed they did camber with the struts not the tower. Made us feel better.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How much did they charge you? And how did you check toe? My front tires are also worn on the insides. The previous owner lowered the car.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jnieto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The job cost $220. $102 for alignment, $118 for labor to do the struts. We did the ol tape measure trick. Straight edge both sides of car to make sure its pointed straight, front wheels aligned with back, then tape the front and rear of steering tires at center. you can get pretty close if you take your time and have a helper. Definitely shade tree mechanic stuff. This is just to give you an idea where you alignment is. I do not recommend you use this as a running alignment. Nice disclaimer Eh!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires