GT500 wheels Big Gap , Help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
GT500 wheels Big Gap , Help!

Hey guys so I took advantage of American Muscles Black Friday deals and got some 2013 GT500 style 17x9 wheels for my 2014 v6 convertible mustang. My problem is that I just took my car to the tire shop to get new tires for It, went with 255/40/17 and they look small compared to the stock 215/65/17 they leave a huge gap between the tires and the car especially in the rear. Will lowering springs help this at all if so how much should I lower it or should I try to better bigger diameter tires.

1Mustang805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I am surprised that the two tire sizes you mention are THAT much different in outside diameter. What you ended up with is truly unattractive, I agree.
Lowering springs will help the gap a lot, but as much as you would have to lower it, I think you will lose ride quality.
If the tire shop will take those back, I think that I'd go back to the original size tire you had and call it good.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Gonna be hard pressed to get rid of that 3-4" wheel gap without some bags. Lol. Tire selection is key. Why stick with 17"wheels when upgrading?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

the more I looked at it the more I hated they way it looked, so i just got back from the tire shop I asked them if I could exchange the tires they said it would'nt be a problem but the only tires I could put on their would be 255/50/17 on the back which would give me an extra two inches of reducing the gap. they said I couldn't go any bigger in the front because the tire would rub due to the width, so I said if they could do 245/55/17 since I saw they offered those size tires on their web page and they said that it might rub up front and they would have to do a test fit to see if it would work but the guy insisted I just change the back to 255/50/17. do you guys think 245/55/17 will work upfront without rubbing seems like the guy didn't want to go out of his way to do a test fit because he would have to order the tires, I left my car at the tire shop as they were about to close and didn't have time to remove the new tires.
1Mustang805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'm running 255/35/20's on 20x10 rims all around. My car is lowered 1.5" front and rear with no rubbing issues whatsoever. If I can do that, I find it difficult to believe you can't pull off what you want with a smaller diameter wheel. Sounds to me like he just wanted to move you out the door with as little effort as possible. I'd stick to my guns on that one...it's your money, so do it your way.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
'14 GT Prem; Sterling Gray w/Silver Metallic Rally Stripes; 6-Speed M/T; Electronics & Comfort Package; 3.55 gears; SR Performance Springs; Koni Str.T Struts & Shocks; Whiteline Panhard Bar; Whiteline Rear Lower Control Arms & Relocation Brackets; J&M Caster/Camber Plates; Rohana RC7 20x10's w/255/35/20 Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons; C&L CAI; BAMA V2 93R Tune; Roush Axlebacks; Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts; SunTek CXP 45% Tint; Cervini's Upper & Lower Billet Grilles & Type IV Ram Air Hood.
Sterling 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You can't compare Sterling 5.0's fit unless you look at wheel offset as well.

The 245x55-17's could be okay. It calculates to slightly less than a 5/8" gain on each side of the tire over the (215x65-17) stock tires.
This link shows how these compare.
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

While this link...
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
shows how the 245x55 compares to the 255x50. Pretty darn close.

Don't know what if anything you did for speedometer correction but the 245x 55 are much more reasonable and you could live with the 1.43% speed error.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I am afraid you bought a rim that limits itself to a 17" dia. and that is where the problem lies. I think it is the rim size that counts more toward the look than the tire size. I dropped mine 1- 1/2 and went with a 19" rim and it certainly helped to fill up the gap.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Part of the issue is that you lost almost 1.5" of sidewall height and almost 3" in diameter..............and there is no way to get that back other to go the other way like a 255x60x17 if they make such a tire......or get some bigger rims. 17" rims on the Mustang are a little on the small side unless it's dropped and as was mentioned earlier the quality of the ride will suffer.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The tire size calculator I'm looking at says you would need a 255/55 to match the stock diameter of 215/65, so if that's accurate then a 255/40 is WAY too small. It also says that a 255/50 is 3.6% smaller in diameter, so I don't even want to think about how different a 255/40 would actually be.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Yeah, should have gone with 19's. You can get that same wheel in a 19", then you can go with a lower profile tire. Going with a smaller profile tire like that will also screw up your speedometer unless you bought a tuner that can correct it.
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah here are the number comparisons and a visualizer. Holy crap those are some high percentage differences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiresize1.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	195306   Click image for larger version

Name:	tiresize2.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	195307  

CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

255/40/17 are very low profile tires and will do that. It will also ride very poorly as the suspension is set up for taller profile tires. 40 series tires on So Cal freeways is asking for a neck brace as well.

I would chalk it up as a lesson learned and try to get some 18" 2016 GT take-offs from a local dealer. They should run you about $700-$750 a set if you search Craigslist or avoid commercial firms.

This is what they look like on a previous gen car. The dark grey and silver look fantastic with darker paint.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/images/pro...l/IMG_0012.JPG

My car's a hard top, but they look like this on Green and blow the stock rims out of the water. Why this firm is asking so much money, though, I don't know. I did see someone with a set on a dark blue V6 the other day and it looked even better.

Also, the 18" tires are the correct size for the speedometer and suspension. With the 17" rims, my speedometer was 2-3% off, and now it's perfect. The handling is much better as well.

EDIT:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...350053282.html

Here is a typical set somewhat local to you. You can also contact Galpin Auto Sports and they often have take-offs from the cars that they get right from the dealership next door. I got mine there for around $750 installed. I know it's losing some money, but the rims you bought could probably be sold for around that and you can put this behind you.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
A 235/50/18 is going to be almost 7/8" less sidewall and the overall diameter will be .75" less than the stock tires. Less sidewall is going to give you a stiffer ride.

Tire Details - Discount Tire
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Believe OP was hoping to use the 245/55/17 providing they didn't rub on the fronts. As the tire provider cautioned.
They would be a pretty close match as far as dia. (0.2" less side wall.)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I would ask other owners with 19" rims and tires ( that I think is the stock size Gt500.) swap your 17s with their 19s on one side check out how they look. GT500 put smaller tires in the front,you can check with your tire dealer on that. I'm sure he would accommodate you for future business. I have a complete Gt 500 struts and lowering springs for very short money 500 miles on the take offs. The only problem I'm just north of Boston!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I would ask other owners with 19" rims and tires ( that I think is the stock size Gt500.) swap your 17s with their 19s on one side check out how they look. GT500 put smaller tires in the front,you can check with your tire dealer on that. I'm sure he would accommodate you for future business. I have a complete Gt 500 struts and lowering springs for very short money 500 miles on the take offs. The only problem I'm just north of Boston!
LOL...Hey Ed
5 more posts and you can advertise legally in the FOR SALE section of the forum.
See you in the spring!.

Tom
Old 12-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I knew I would wake you up with that one. Brake time, Tom
goman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires