Spare Tire vs Air Compressor and Kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Spare Tire vs Air Compressor and Kit

I currently have a spare in my 2014 Mustang but I was curious about everyone's opinion on the lack of a spare or even removing them in cars.

I'm preparing to install an Air Lift Performance Kit in my car and was thinking about putting it all inside the tire well. Getting a smaller tank or even a pancake style one and placing it, the compressor and control unit inside the well. If I do this I was going to get another line adapter and add a connection so I can tap a coil air hose up and air up my tires if needed. I would also add a plug kit.

If I install it as it comes then I can still add the line for air if needed but also have the spare. Granted removing it, then I'd save the weight of the spare and boost performance and MPGs.

This is a daily driver and I only put about 6000 or less miles a year on a vehicle... since I don't do a lot of road trips in it, I could always toss the spare in a bag and put it in the back when needed but then I'll have a spare laying around the garage most of the time.

What is everyone's thoughts on having a spare or not? Lots of cars now don't even come with one or it's an option so I understand it's feasible but do I want to sit somewhere if I have a blow out and a patch isn't an option.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
On mine I bought a plug kit. nice day toy 6k miles per year. If I go more than 75 miles from home I put one of my 2nd set in the trunk (along with jack/etc) I figure If I get a non-plugable flat I'll call one of my friends for a lift.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's kinda the situation I'm thinking. I drive less than 5 miles each way to work.

Just curious about the ear chewing I'll get if I get a flat while driving the wife around with me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I don't think you can fit everything in the wheel well
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1472067753.366567.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	204424

This is with a smaller tank. Pancake one is closer to regular size and still should fit by the room available with this one.

And that is a dual compressor install also.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Attachment 204424

This is with a smaller tank. Pancake one is closer to regular size and still should fit by the room available with this one.

And that is a dual compressor install also.

----------------------------------------------------------------
What is the price tag for all of this?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I got American Muscle to price match a website and got the Air Lift Performance digital kit which they sell for $3825 down to $3052.53

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airlif...-kit-0514.html

Pancake tank is another $100 roughly depending on where I get it.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a 2012 without a spare and never have had a flat tire but I do worry about it; my next Mustang will have a spare as I drive on long trips. If you do not have a spare see about getting towing coverage on your insurance policy just in case you ever get stuck someplace. MY wife's care had to be towed about a month ago and it cost $282, I'm glad I had the coverage.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I can understand that
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Performance pack Mustangs don't come with a spare. Well the 2015's anyway. Not sure about the older years. It came with a small compressor in the spare wheel well.
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I figure with an extra connection and that coil air hose I won't even need an extra compressor and a patch kit is about the size of a deck of cards.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by C013RA View Post
Performance pack Mustangs don't come with a spare. Well the 2015's anyway. Not sure about the older years. It came with a small compressor in the spare wheel well.
My 2014 PP didn't come with a spare either; just the compressor & etc. I sort of want to put one of these in the empty spare tire well:

Old 08-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I was astonished when I was putting my basic tool kit into my new '14 PP Mustang and found there was no spare. I make several long runs a year, including trips to NWS China Lake and Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert, so I bought a spare wheel and full size spare. I've read the full size spares don't fit in some recent Mustangs, but mine fits perfectly. Yes, I have AAA, but I don't care to wait in a desert backroad for a service truck - assuming they can find me - in 100+ heat or cold rain.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheval View Post
I was astonished when I was putting my basic tool kit into my new '14 PP Mustang and found there was no spare. I make several long runs a year, including trips to NWS China Lake and Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert, so I bought a spare wheel and full size spare. I've read the full size spares don't fit in some recent Mustangs, but mine fits perfectly. Yes, I have AAA, but I don't care to wait in a desert backroad for a service truck - assuming they can find me - in 100+ heat or cold rain.
What comes in the Mustang tool kit, and where can I get one?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There is no Mustang tool kit that I know of, Revv. I was referring to my tool kit, which is pretty basic: flares, duct tape, screwdriver set, etc. I pulled out many of the old tools as they couldn't even be used in today's cars!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheval View Post
I figured they did that because the spare wheels would not work with the calipers, and rotors. There's no clearance problems on the front wheels?
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

It depends on what rotor/brakes you got....some v6's have smaller rotors (11"?) those will work with a 17" rim. Most times you need 18" rim or so.

Reminder to folks...the goo Ford gives you can damage the TPMS and even sensor safe Goo is hated by tire guys. Use it only in emergency hence my having a plug kit and a group of friends I do favors for that I can call for a ride.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I read about the sensors and some fillers. Think I'd rather plug it and/or call someone then have to replace a sensor... Not that it really matters right now since I have 2015+ sensors in the wheels on my 2014 and they are incompatible. (Car syncs up to my old ones in the garage though lol)

Old 08-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #19

Region: Massachusetts
In my 45+ years of driving every flat I have ever had while driving has resulted in the tire bead seperating from the rim before I could come to a stop.

A compressor in the trunk and a can of goo is of no use in that situation.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
When i ordered my 2011 v6 Mustang in Feb of 2010 a spare wasn't even available as an option to order, just the standard pump with the slim crap. I ended up ordering a spare wheel, tire and jack for a 2010 GT. Cost me almost $500 because everything had to be ordered separate. Now you can factory order a spare tire Kit for something like $250
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah my mom bought a 2016 Elantra and got the inflator kit. Wasn't too happy when she realized there wasn't

Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C013RA View Post
I figured they did that because the spare wheels would not work with the calipers, and rotors. There's no clearance problems on the front wheels?
I figure that if I need to replace a front tire I'll use a rear tire (same rim size) and put my spare in the rear. Buying a new rim from Ford would be an exorbitance.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

^^^ Warning!

using two sizes in rear puts wear on the LSD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires