Is excessive road force a warranty issue? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Is excessive road force a warranty issue?

Backstory...first mod on my '12 GT was a staggered set of chrome GT500 19" wheels/tires. First mustang, first set of aftermarket wheels and good God were they gorgeous! No garage so put them on in the driveway with the scissors jack. Noticed immediately there was a slight vibration and over 40mph images in the rear view mirror would vibrate. Figured it was a balance issue and if it became too annoying I'd address it later or wait until the next set of tires.
Lived with it until the new set of tires and had them road force balanced. Tech could not get road force below 24 on one wheel. Said it could be due to wheel being out of round. So I contact AM via email to see if this is a warranty issue. I'm told to get a report. Go back to shop and get the report. Was then told they need the tread depth. Huh? By now it's been a few days, I don't expect the shop kept my old tires and why on earth would they need a tread depth for a wheel warranty? I had some personal sh going on and said to hell with it, I'll just buy wheels somewhere else. A year later, I notice more vibration and a couple wheel weights missing so back in I go for another round of road force balancing. Shop gives me a full report and I ask again about the warranty. I'm told they can't cover a tire claim a year after the original requested information. Yeah, you read that right. Somehow this person translated wheel to tire and for some reason thought someone would be asking for tires to be replaced years down the road?
Yeah, I get it, cheap wheels aren't flawless. I'm just trying to get an answer/opinion (plus, if you're not me, it's a funny story) as to wether or not excessive road force is a warranty issue.
Enlighten me please 🤓
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

And yes, I sent Alex a pm here but it was right when he was leaving...
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Old 09-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It could be anything causing the problem in regard to a very, very slight machining error. The hub could be off center at a margin so slight that it is not seen, but felt. There could be a flat spot on the wheel that you don't see with your eyes. Material thickness, etc can all play a part. The wheel could even be warped slightly.

I don't know what your wheel and tire shop charges, but I would ask them to remove the tires and spin the wheel on the balancer. Have them experiment with a few weights to determine whether or not the wheel alone will balance out.

Also check for any obvious bends, warps, and so on. It is a pain in the butt, but you will discover the problem.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Old 09-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
You already said this. Lol
Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Wth? Only posted that once!
Thanks Revvv. They did state there didn't seem to be any warping or out of round and wheels balanced out but there's something causing the road force. It was 30+ and spinning the tire on the wheel helped but can't get it below 24.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Something is definitely off. I almost asked about the axle hub and if the wheel was perfectly flush. That would not give an out of balance number though.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Did you remove the clip from the lug nut? The clip is there for assembly purposes only, and the stock wheels are slotted to let it sit inside. But aftermarket wheels typically don't have the slot and the wheel doesn't sit flat - and you get vibration just as you described.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Did you remove the clip from the lug nut? The clip is there for assembly purposes only, and the stock wheels are slotted to let it sit inside. But aftermarket wheels typically don't have the slot and the wheel doesn't sit flat - and you get vibration just as you described.
Thanks JimC, good suggestion and yes I did. First mustang but I've been a driveway mechanic for 25+ years. I actually thought about putting the clip/washer back on since these wheels do have a recess for it. But that doesn't explain the wheel on the machine.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if this will help but my tires are very loud and vibration at 65 plus so loud that i thought it was a bad gear install so i took it to the guy who did the gears they were fine .But he had on the lift put the car in gear and the rear tires had a slight wobble to them not the rims but the tires he said that would cause vibration road noise also he did the road force balanced and alignment done still did it ...So i just had them spin balanced that helped with the vibration problem Anyways check for the tire wobble if they didn't already
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

Region: Minnesota
My two cent's. Road Force issues are usually tire issues. Tire causing to much resistance in a certain area. We see most road force concerns tire related!
Docstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docstang View Post
My two cent's. Road Force issues are usually tire issues. Tire causing to much resistance in a certain area. We see most road force concerns tire related!
Thanks Doc, I'm getting the sense that that is the general consensus. I was thinking that isn't it, due to the 2nd set of tires and still the vibration issue.
Same to you jek, one set of tires, ok but then 2nd set? That's why I'm questioning it.
Guess I won't know unless I have them spin just the rim/wheel. Coincidentally, there's a local guy interested in my wheels. Lol
Old 09-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hope you find out what the deal was with it. Let us know
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Hope you find out what the deal was with it. Let us know
If I still have them this winter I'll likely pull it and have them check it w/o the tire. I'll definitely let you know if I do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires