Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tire sizes that fit on a stock rim for an 04 Mustang

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 ·
I know my stock tire size is 225/55R16. I also know that there are some alternate tire sizes that still fit my stock rims without having to re-calibrate the speedometer. Does anyone know what sizes those are?

#4 ·
Nah, don't have money to go with new rims. The reason I ask is that I noticed that a lot of 16" sizes near mine vary wildly in price. I was looking for other sizes that would fit on my stock rim and not screw with the speedometer accuracy. I know there are optional tire sizes, I just don't know what they are or how many there are.

#5 ·
I use an online tire size calculator to find sizes, then go to like discount tire, tire rack, etc and plug those sizes in and see what they got. For example, I'm running 17" stock wheels, 245/45-17 tires. I can get a 275/40-17 for the back that is almost 1-1/2" wider, but the same diameter so it wont screw with the speedo.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I found one of those. One specifically that would tell you the difference in MPH if it messed up the speedometer calibration. I think I'm going to go with the 225/60R16 since the tires are cheaper, it still fits on my rim, and the speedometer error is less than 2.0 MPH at 65 MPH. From 65 MPH, the slower you go, the the smaller the error gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.