Wheel Spacer Or Not? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Do you not know how a lever works? Because your front suspension is basically a lever. You are increasing the length of the lever without increasing the force resisting the lever (your spring rate)
Here's what I want you to do:
Explain in detail exactly what causes what to move and how much and how EXACTLY that affects camber. Think about this...what is moving and what else has to move how far to have a measurable difference. Don't assume, don't generalize and don't cop an attitude, just think about this. Walk through everything that would have to happen step by step.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
JDM 302E Stroker w/Stage 3 Heads & Cams, KB S/C, FRPP T/B, ARH LT's w/3" Magnaflows, plus way too much to list here
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Here, I'll make it easy on you...look at the image below and tell me what part is moving to change the camber when you add a 1" spacer:

Tuned by AED
JDM 302E Stroker w/Stage 3 Heads & Cams, KB S/C, FRPP T/B, ARH LT's w/3" Magnaflows, plus way too much to list here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I couldn't find any good diagrams to illustrate my thinking on the camber, and i don't really care enough to try to prove it so oh well...
However, there is another effect that can cause increased inner tire wear... scrub radius change. This diagram sums it up nicely. Changing the scrub radius can also significantly change handling feel so keep that in mind as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	142365d1239608432-spacers-and-camber-offset-and-spacers.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	205596

Yes i know the picture is showing different tire sizes but the spacer will move the tire center out just the same
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I couldn't find any good diagrams to illustrate my thinking on the camber, and i don't really care enough to try to prove it so oh well...
However, there is another effect that can cause increased inner tire wear... scrub radius change. This diagram sums it up nicely. Changing the scrub radius can also significantly change handling feel so keep that in mind as well.
Attachment 205596

Yes i know the picture is showing different tire sizes but the spacer will move the tire center out just the same
Scrub radius is a different story. We are discussing camber. Look at the pic I posted above and identify the part that is moving to affect camber.

Tuned by AED
Old 10-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Scrub radius is a different story. We are discussing camber. Look at the pic I posted above and identify the part that is moving to affect camber.
According to that picture i can't see a way for it to happen. Perhaps i was thinking of a double arm setup. Either way, someone was asking about wear due to a spacer. Scrub radius change is a potential answer and also my main reason for advising against larger spacers up front
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Here is what you are thinking....and there is some merit to this (however small) but this applys only to a swing axel car like this old VW.

A mustang has a control arm and strut. The ONLY way to change camber is through a physical movement of parts, extreme bushing deflection and camber curve.
In order for the camber to change through the curve the wheel would have to travel upwards.
Will a 1" spacer lower your car enough to travel through enough camber curve to make a measurable enough difference? Of course not.

Tuned by AED
Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
According to that picture i can't see a way for it to happen. Perhaps i was thinking of a double arm setup. Either way, someone was asking about wear due to a spacer. Scrub radius change is a potential answer and also my main reason for advising against larger spacers up front
Scrub will change with wheel offset the same as with a spacer.
No net difference between the two.

Tuned by AED
Old 10-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #43

Region: Arkansas
I just put some on the rear of 2011 gt but was scared to open the car up on top end. So I sit now at Discount Tire getting them removed. Now I feel better with WOT.
koreusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

No reason to be scared....

Tuned by AED
Old 10-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #45

Region: Canada
Fabman has pretty well correctly summed up everything as far as spacers affecting camber. There is no affect at all in the rear. If there are wear problems on the rear tires and they are correctly inflated, there is another problem other then the spacers. Back to the original poster's question, the Coyote brand (as mentioned above) are the ones that I have on my 2015 GT tracked and I have had no trouble with them. I have had my car at WOT on the street and the track in excess of 130 mph and feel perfectly safe with the spacers.
Bob2000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
I can not examine your car from here but I can tell you with 100% accuracy that a one inch spacer will not affect camber. Think about it.
I know, doesn't make sense but, those were the results I received. Sorry OP not to thread jack, just thought I would share my results with 1" spacers.
32VALVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #47

The rear was feeling sluggish and not firm as it should. I do not recommend them.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreusse View Post
The rear was feeling sluggish and not firm as it should. I do not recommend them.

Tuned by AED
Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #49

If you like wheel spacers I will sell you mine they are 1" spacers from LMR. $50.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreusse View Post
If you like wheel spacers I will sell you mine they are 1" spacers from LMR. $50.
No thanks, mine are only 10 years old, stronger than the wheel and the axle both, and are race proven to over 150 MPH.
I guess you just gotta be smart enough to operate them.

Tuned by AED
Old 10-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Summary:
Use good quality spacers.
Install properly
Don't slide into any curbs.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #52

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Summary:
Use good quality spacers.
Install properly
Don't slide into any curbs.
What would be the correct torque spec for the spacers
Guard.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

I'll throw my 2 cents in the ring. You may be increasing force/leverage on the wheel/bearings/suspension parts but you are increasing camber 0 degrees.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents in the ring. You may be increasing force/leverage on the wheel/bearings/suspension parts but you are increasing camber 0 degrees.
That sounds good to me and as I believe Fabman would say, any increase of force/leverage on the wheel/bearings/suspension parts, would be no different than if you had done the same by way of the offset in a wheel.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
That sounds good to me and as I believe Fabman would say, any increase of force/leverage on the wheel/bearings/suspension parts, would be no different than if you had done the same by way of the offset in a wheel.
Exactly.

Tuned by AED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires