Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Will having different tire sizes on the back and front cause any major issues.

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Sbales88 
#1 ·
I'm looking to change tire sizes on my stock 16x7 rims (I think the stock is 16x7 on a 2004 Mustang 3.9L V6) from the stock 225/55R16 to 225/60R16. From what I can tell, the new size will fit since it has a rim width of 6.5-8.5.

My question is this. Only one pair of my tires are bald. The 225/55R16 tire on the front have a good amount of tread left. It seems a big waste to take them off now. Will putting 2 new 225/60R16's on the rear while keeping the 55's on the front cause any major problems?

#5 ·
I don't think the traction control will notice much if any difference as long as both rear tires are the same.
Anytime you change the circumference and or diameter of the tire you effectively change the gear ratio...although only slightly it does change.
Why are you changing to 60 series in the rear and not staying with the 55's?

#6 ·
Because for some reason, the 55 series tires are quite a bit more expensive than the 60 series. Not sure why. You'd think they'd be a popular size (and hence, cheaper due to larger production runs) due to them being the stock size for at least the 04 Mustang V6.

#9 ·
I ended up already buying the Solar 4XS sold on Wal-Mart.com for $56.47 each. The reviews on it seem to be good.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/225-60R16-98H-SOLAR-4XS-Tires/52943302

I have a Wal-Mart store credit card so that helped make the decision. It was between those and the Antares Ingen A1 for about $5.00 more. I chose the Solar which are made by Sumitomo Tires. The Antares is a good example of why I decided to go up to the 60 series. The Antares Ingen A1 60 series is $59.78. The 55 series, which is the stock size for my Mustang is $96.80. There's no reason I can see for that kind of price disparity. The 60 series uses more rubber since it's taller, yet it's cheaper.

As for ABS and Traction Control, I know I don't have Traction Control and I don't know if I have ABS or not. No ABS light comes on in my instrument cluster when I turn on the car.

#12 ·
What's it going to cost for mounting, balancing, and stems?
On the brighter side, you probably don't have a bomb in your steering wheel, as many of us do.
And for what it's worth, ABS brakes were not mandatory for your car.

#17 ·
Last I checked, it was somewhere between $12-$15 per tire. It's another reason I chose Wallyworld. It's the lowest price and I could put that on my CC too. I was also able to cash in some of my MyPoints.com points and cover part of the cost of the tires and mounting/balancing/stems.

#13 ·
We understand that money doesn't grown on trees...next time you need something for the Mustang maybe post a wanted add here on the forum.
If you were about 2400 miles closer I'm sure we could have found a solution...although if you need help don't hesitate to ask here on the forum.

#14 ·
My ball joints (upper and lower) need to be replaced as well as the slide pins on my front calipers. The calipers keep sticking and I'm pretty sure the slide pins are the culprit. I have the parts, but it's a matter of getting the work done. Getting all the work done is something I don't have the money for. I can probably muddle my way through the slide pins and the tie rod end ball joint, but I don't have the equipment for replacing the other ball joint.

#15 ·
Maybe you could reach out to some of the people on this forum that live in or close to your area...look on the members list...and tell them you'll buy them a beer or furnish Ice Tea or whatever you can...and see if someone could spare some time to help you.
As I mentioned earlier...if you were just a little closer I'd pack up the truck with tools and give you a hand...I can't believe that someone living close to you wouldn't do the same thing...give it a whirl and contact some of the forum members. Ask Noodles76 if he knows someone close to you or another member here on the forum that could help...COME ON MUSTANG FORUM GUYS!

#19 ·
LOL, unfortunately no. Back before when I knew jack ***** about tires, I had a blowout on my right front. When I went to get a used tire to put on it, they were out of my exact size, but the "mechanic" said they had one that would fit, but it was just a little wider.

The problem was (now that I realize what the numbers mean) that it wasn't wider, it was instead shorter. He put on a 225/50R16 which screwed up the alignment majorly. I thought it was due to me hitting the curb and causing the blowout.

#21 ·
Doesn't the car need to be on a lift to do that ball joint? And if not, how long do they loan you the tools for. I never know when I'll feel well enough to work on the car with my disability. I also have problems lifting weight. My prescribed limit is 10lbs. I can do more than that, but I'll be in agony later. I was out of it for a couple days after just rotating my tires by myself.

#23 ·
When you borrow the tools at my Advance Auto, they run your credit card and then refund it when you bring the tool back. They told me specifically that there is no time limit, but you should definitely ask.

The car does not need to be on a lift for a ball joint replacement. I have done them in my driveway and it's not a hard job but it can be labor intensive. If rotating tires is your limitation, I would not attempt this on your own. There are a lot of bolts to battle and some heavy parts to lift while sitting/kneeling in awkward positions.

#24 ·
Maybe one of the kind knowledgeable people on this site could lend a hand to
to PoEHitman if they live close enough...kind of as one Mustang owner to another.
I'd pack up my tools in the pickup and head that direction if he was 2400 miles closer to me on the West Coast.
How about it...anyone?????

[Quoted by PoEHitman]
"Unfortunately I'm disabled and on a fixed income of only $919.00/mo. It's a miracle I had the CC to be able to at least pay for the 2 tires over 3 months. I can't afford top of the line tires."
[Quoted by PoEHitman]
"My ball joints (upper and lower) need to be replaced as well as the slide pins on my front calipers. The calipers keep sticking and I'm pretty sure the slide pins are the culprit. I have the parts, but it's a matter of getting the work done. Getting all the work done is something I don't have the money for. I can probably muddle my way through the slide pins and the tie rod end ball joint, but I don't have the equipment for replacing the other ball joint."

#25 ·
225/55/16 = 25.74" tall vs 225/60/16 = 26.62" tall. Almost an inch taller and might be depending on how deep your tread was and is up front. Definitely shouldn't be any issues. Height difference front to back is fine. You just don't want a height difference side to side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.