Performance 215/65R17? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Performance 215/65R17?

Hey guys so I'm in need of tires for my 2014 premium mustang. I have the 17x7" rims the one with the painted inserts. Basically I'm looking for a "performance" tire in the 21565r17 size. I've come up with nothing really performance oriented in that size since it's more of a passenger car tire. Does anyone know what a good tire tire is gonna be in that size. Or if I could possibly move up a size to 225 just for a bit wider stance.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The manual V6 came with 225/60 17
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart

idk if this helps...consider looking for a set of take-offs either 18's or if you can find some 7.5 wide the 17's have very little value.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I was trying to do find some takeoffs but it seems whenever I don't need a part there's tons of them on the local Craigslist but when I do need a part they're not available.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I struggled with this a couple months ago. My car also came with 215/65R17 tires, and I hate the look of not-wide-enough tires on any aggressive-looking car (Mustang, Charger, what have you). I did a little research, and it turns out that the 225/60R17s that come on the manual are actually smaller in diameter than the stock tires by something like half an inch, while 235/60R17s are only about a tenth of an inch larger in diameter; much closer to what was originally on it. The tire manufacturer's website also said that a 7" wide rim was well within the specs for that tire. I ended up going with 235/60R17 and I'm happy with them.

Mine are Cooper Grand Touring CS5s, which work fine for me, though they're not a performance tire. The point is that the size will work, and maybe you can find a more performance-oriented tire in that size.

--rick
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You want performance then get a better set of wheels and tires. 215 is like what my beater honda runs lmao.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkrndl View Post
I struggled with this a couple months ago. My car also came with 215/65R17 tires, and I hate the look of not-wide-enough tires on any aggressive-looking car (Mustang, Charger, what have you). I did a little research, and it turns out that the 225/60R17s that come on the manual are actually smaller in diameter than the stock tires by something like half an inch, while 235/60R17s are only about a tenth of an inch larger in diameter; much closer to what was originally on it. The tire manufacturer's website also said that a 7" wide rim was well within the specs for that tire. I ended up going with 235/60R17 and I'm happy with them.

Mine are Cooper Grand Touring CS5s, which work fine for me, though they're not a performance tire. The point is that the size will work, and maybe you can find a more performance-oriented tire in that size.

--rick

I've been going back and forth on 235/60/17s for the last couple years trying to decide. Will be getting car out of storage in the next couple months. I finally decided that I would get BF Goodrich Radial T/A Spec in 225/60/17. Could you please provide a few more pictures, like from behind the car, close-up of wheel and tire to show sidewall bulge, etc? Also, how does the car handle? Some people mention that the tire could be too wide for the rim and may roll over on itself in spirited cornering. I was considering the General Altimax RT43 T speed rating.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Tirerack isnt showing anything for 215/65/17 summer tires.
They have one offering for 225/60/17 but its a janky runflat

Id suggest going to a 235/55/17. A little wide for a 7" wide stock wheel but itll work. This size is really popular/ cheap and has a lot of options. Bonus is its 27.2" tall so it'll help a tiny bit with gearing
Vivix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm a little surprised you can't find GT takeoffs with tires that still have good tread on them. What I do when I need new tires for my Expy lol. Always dudes around here yanking brand new F150 rims and tires and dumping them for $500.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You want performance then get a better set of wheels and tires. 215 is like what my beater honda runs lmao.
My spark runs 185s, and is 1,000 pounds lighter. Definitely gonna need a much wider tire for performance on a heavy car like a Mustang.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I've been going back and forth on 235/60/17s for the last couple years trying to decide. Will be getting car out of storage in the next couple months. I finally decided that I would get BF Goodrich Radial T/A Spec in 225/60/17. Could you please provide a few more pictures, like from behind the car, close-up of wheel and tire to show sidewall bulge, etc? Also, how does the car handle? Some people mention that the tire could be too wide for the rim and may roll over on itself in spirited cornering. I was considering the General Altimax RT43 T speed rating.
Hey, we actually chatted about this via PM a couple months ago, before I got the tires. At the time, I was thinking of staying with the 225s. Anyway, ask and ye shall receive.

Doesn't seem like too much of a bulge to me, but I'm no engineer. If you check BFG's or General's website, I bet you'll find a chart with acceptable width ranges for specific tire sizes and stuff like that. That's what I found on Cooper's website.

I think the car handles great, but I'm no race driver either. When I take the back way to and from work (which is every chance I get ), I am on some fairly twisty and narrow country roads, and I love the way it feels, but I don't attempt to hang the tail out or anything else that would be hazardous to my driving record . Pretty sure this car will never see an autocross, so for my purposes, I'm very happy with what I got.

To those pointing out that you can get take-off 18s fairly easily on Craigslist: it's true, and I was considering that and still am. But we were going into winter, and finding a good set for cheap with good all-season rubber was going to be a challenge. This car is driven daily to work and I couldn't wait around till a good set came up at a price I liked. And I know that the tires I got are a compromise as far as all-season vs. dedicated winter tires, but they are rated pretty well as all-season tires go. The future plan is to get some nice 18s for summer and keep the 17s for Blizzaks or something when the Coopers wear out.

--rick
Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey, we actually chatted about this via PM a couple months ago, before I got the tires. At the time, I was thinking of staying with the 225s. Anyway, ask and ye shall receive.

Doesn't seem like too much of a bulge to me, but I'm no engineer. If you check BFG's or General's website, I bet you'll find a chart with acceptable width ranges for specific tire sizes and stuff like that. That's what I found on Cooper's website.

I think the car handles great, but I'm no race driver either. When I take the back way to and from work (which is every chance I get ), I am on some fairly twisty and narrow country roads, and I love the way it feels, but I don't attempt to hang the tail out or anything else that would be hazardous to my driving record . Pretty sure this car will never see an autocross, so for my purposes, I'm very happy with what I got.

To those pointing out that you can get take-off 18s fairly easily on Craigslist: it's true, and I was considering that and still am. But we were going into winter, and finding a good set for cheap with good all-season rubber was going to be a challenge. This car is driven daily to work and I couldn't wait around till a good set came up at a price I liked. And I know that the tires I got are a compromise as far as all-season vs. dedicated winter tires, but they are rated pretty well as all-season tires go. The future plan is to get some nice 18s for summer and keep the 17s for Blizzaks or something when the Coopers wear out.

--rick
Yes, I remember. The 235s on your car seem to fit the car well. I don't race around or abuse my car either, so I wouldn't be pushing the handling to the limits. Now I'm torn between which size to get again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Remember not all tires are created equal as far as width. I had a set of 275s on my old car that were wider than some 295s. You can go on tirerack and look for a specific 235 that runs a little narrow in the width dept, all the specs are there. Sumitumos and Nittos tend to run narrow. BFGs run big. I had a 235/45/18 on a 18x8 from BFG and that thing fit perfect.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #14

65mm sidewall? God damn. I thought my 45's were massive.
JayGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The solution for a 17" tire and those stock rims?

Get a set of these as take-offs from a current GT:
https://www.driveandreview.com/2016/...boost-mustang/

These look better and handle WORLDS better than your original tires. Look at my avatar - it also makes your car look a lot better as a bonus.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Finally pulling the trigger on tires. Next Wednesday I am having a set of Continental TrueContact P235/60/17s installed. They have great reviews on Tire Rack. Even though I don't run the car in the winter, I still wanted an all-season the handles well in the dry and rain. I was also looking for a size close in diameter to the stock tires so I don't throw the speedo off. I'll be doing 3.55s and a tune in a couple years.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
Old 04-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I think you'll be happy with the size choice. I'm still very happy with them on my car. I also just picked up a bargain set of 17x8 Bullitt-style factory GT wheels from an '05-'09 car off Fleabay and had the 235/60s switched over to them. Transformed the whole look of the car in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170410_155017_1492131280442.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	227586  
parkrndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you'll be happy with the size choice. I'm still very happy with them on my car. I also just picked up a bargain set of 17x8 Bullitt-style factory GT wheels from an '05-'09 car off Fleabay and had the 235/60s switched over to them. Transformed the whole look of the car in my opinion.
Hope so! Your's look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

One thing to note, given that someone else might end up reading this. The stock 18" tires are that the speedo is actually set up to be correct with. The 17" rims are about 1mph off at 70mph. Ford assumes that the performance package/non-base model is the normal setup for the car for 2013 and 2014.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
One thing to note, given that someone else might end up reading this. The stock 18" tires are that the speedo is actually set up to be correct with. The 17" rims are about 1mph off at 70mph. Ford assumes that the performance package/non-base model is the normal setup for the car for 2013 and 2014.
Interesting; I wondered about that. I know the heights of the different factory-available tires aren't all the same, but I didn't know which size was used to calibrate the speedometer from the factory... I assumed they didn't use different speedo calibrations for each tire size, so I figured one would be the "right" one and the others would be "close enough".

--rick

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires