Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Wheel and tire question

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 V6 mustang on stock 17" wheels. I'm looking to go with 18s. I want to run a square set up, 275. Read that the widest tire I can go with on an 18x8 is 255, is this true? Manufacturer has posted on their page a 275/40 would fit on an 18x8. If not, I should be able to run 275s on an 18x9 or 18x9.5?

Wheels specs:
18x8 offset 35
18x9 offset 30
18x9.5 offset 39

Also, I read that I should add steering stops if I'm going from a factory size wheel to larger wheel?

#3 ·
Widest you SHOULD go is 255. 275 will fit but you won't see any performance gain from it and it might actually be worse. If you get 18x8s then get 255s. If you want 275s then get 9" wide rims. Simple as that.

#5 ·
Tirerack is not the best info, it all depends. Some 275s run big, some run small. I had BFG 275s on an 18x10 that fit great, they would have been huge on a 9" rim and I had Nitto 315s that were a little narrow on a 10.5" wide rim but would have been good on a 9 or 9.5" rim.

You can look at the actual width of the tire on tirerack IF they have it. What I did when I got my latest tires which were Rikens and they fit perfect on 9" wide rims.

#6 ·
Tire Rack gets their info directly from the tire manufacturer, I have never seen any discrepancies between what they list and the manufactuers web page for a given tire. I understand that there are no standards on how tires are to be measured for sizing and you will see that in the recommended rim width being slightly different manufacturer to manufacturer.

#7 ·
I'm running 295 x 35 x 20 Nitto NT555's in rear on 10" wide rims & 255 x 35 x 20 on 8-1/2" wide rims in the front & No need for Steering Bump Stops or any other modifications. I've had 275 Tires on 8-1/2" rims before with No Issues but never on an 8". I personally think it would be fine. Of course the Tire will bulge out slightly & be a slight bit taller due to the 8" rim...but it would work in my opinion. It would look more Old School so to speak.

#8 ·
Will bulge out more than "slightly" and look ridiculous and make the car handle like ***

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
Good call

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.