How-To: Clean & Polish Chrome Wheels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Post How-To: Clean & Polish Chrome Wheels

I wanna clean my car up this afternoon once I get off work so that I can get some nice new photos... so while I clean, I wanna do whatever polishing I can do to make my new wheels shine even more!

Basically, what should I use for cleaning and polishing? In the past I've used a variety of wheel cleaners to help cut down dirt such as Eagle, Meguires, and even this new Telfon spray from Duron. Are these sprays recommended on chrome wheels? Or is there an even better solution? Also, I use a very soft brush to clean my old wheels -- should I use that same brush on my new wheels? Or should I be worried about scratching the finish?

Lastly, as far as polishing is concerned, what are your recommendations? I used to use Blue Magic metal polish (the stuff that reeks of amonia) and on that container it says chrome also. But again, if there is something better out there for polishing chrome wheels, please let me know. I practically own every product Advance Auto sells for cleaning cars, and with investing so much money in these new wheels, I want to get what's best for them to keep em clean.

Thanks everyone!

Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: South Carolina
I kinda gave ya my recommendations over IM yesterday during your Mountain Dew typing rush

But on our FR500's Chrome Rims all we do is clean them with the normal Car Wash we use which is normally Soft Gel from Meguaires(sp) and then dry them off, and then we use Windex Window Cleaner on them for the final shine, and just keep a cotton cloth in the car with us for when we go to small gatherings or car shows if we feel the need for the full BLING FACTOR to be released...

KrazyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Well, most of all the chrome polishes are the same.

Alot of people use Simple Green to get em shining real quick and then go in for the polishing.

I use the same stuff for my aluminum rims. (Simple Green)
- Matthew |
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
mothers metal polish and a cotton pad is the only way to go
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV i use waterless car wash from envirotech, dry wasn' n gaurd not some knock off its the best on the market that i hav EVER used keep the rims protected and you will never have a problem, let them get dirty and nasty and its all over.... well not really but its alot of a hassel. I have 95 oem cobra rs 17 by 9 in chrome that are nearly 5 years old. they are in MINT shape due to I kept a coat of the above mentioned dwg on them and cleaned them once a week or more on average soem times of course longer but usually once a week.

if your rimes are polished you can probably use any polish you wnt mothers seems to wo work good for me when if i ever polsih mine (did it a couple times when i took my rims off between cars and STORED THEM IN MY ROOM lol)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires