Mustang Evolution Forum banner

questions about offset

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Bane- 
#1 ·
i have a 2000 gt with the stock 5 star wheels 17x8 a friend of mine has a set of 17x9 cobra r's on a 95 lincoln mark 8 there is a huge spacer on there anyway his car is broken and he offered the wheels wich have brand new tires on them for 400 dollars so my question is does anyone know how i determine if they will work on my car and how will i know if i need spacers or not any help or advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated

#3 ·
the bolt pattern is the same so that wont be a problem i guess ill just put them on and if they look right and the car rides like normal that they are good are there any signs i should look for while im driving that indicate the wrong wheel ?

#6 ·
Hm...if they're a cobra R style wheel they're most likely setup with Mustang backspacing. To be honest I dunno if a Mark V would have a different backspacing or not from a mustang. I know several of the parts are interchangable.

What I would do is put the front of your car up on jackstands and mount the wheels/tires on there. Turn the steering wheel full lock in each direction to check for rubbing and interference issues. Do this without putting any spacer on the front, I would advise highly against any sort of spacer on the front. If you don't run into any clearance issues at full lock I really wouldn't worry about them.

You'll know right off if the backspacing is way off, make sure they are mounting flush against the rotors and have plenty of clearance everywhere else.

#11 ·
i see thats good information to have also i may not have access to jack stands so would i work if the car was on the ground and i turned to wheel to full lock in both directions a rolled a bit and had someone watching from outside to look and listen for signs of rubbing?

#15 ·
I really think you should have the car in the air to check for this. Last thing you want is to put the wheels on the car and run into issues by having things break...Jack stands are cheap and you really need a set if you work on the car much at all. I have a couple of sets here and they get used all the time.

#12 ·
if you cant find any jacks... ie ur jack for your spare and from a friends MUSTANG. then purchase some and return them and make up something like they were not what u expected or they malfunctioned. imo

#16 ·
#19 ·
ok so i didnt get the cobra r's put on yesterday it has been put on hold till sometime later in the week but i did put a few pictures of my car in my profile

#20 ·
Mustang Wheels and Tires FAQ

you can view the section for offset and back spacing. The offset should be 2Xmm and the backspacing should be 5.95-6.11~ if so then it will fit fine (may stick out a tad in the front but they all do that on 9 wide with the correct backspacing from ford it seems)

#21 ·
good news i put the wheels on today and they fit just fine and they look great but on my old tires the inner edge of my back tires were worn really bad more on the left than right does anyone know what would be the cause of that im thinking it may be from not rotating my tires

#22 ·
if you know your back spacing or offset and the width of the rims I can tell you exactly how they will fit.

4 inches from the mounting surface of the rotor out is the MAX you want on a rim, yours are not nearly that much im sure, with the standard 95 cobra R its 5.95 back spacing so... 9-5.95 is 3.25 inches from the front of the rotor out to the edge, so you have another .75 inches if you had to before the limit, at 3.75 you start to need to worry about rolling the fender lip

#23 ·
the only reason the lincoln was running the spacer is because of the size of the hub. They are the same bolt pattern yes but the hubs are bigger so they have to run spacers to get away from the hub to get the wheels tightened down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.