2.3l turbo trouble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:39 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtbikes4fun02
2.3l turbo trouble

i just got a 85 cougar 2.3l turbo and it runs i fixed alotta stuff and put on some new plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor button, filters, seafoam treatment, and fluids. but i still have a problem if i rev it slowly i can get it to about 3500 rpms but if i give it more throttle then it starts sputtering and bucking and slowly revs back down...

now my dad told me that the iac sounds stuck that the plunger and stuff was dirty so i took it out and cleaned it and put it back together and put it in and then it started and i revved it up and it went up to 5000 (6500 Limiter) and i got outta the gas and let it idle for a minute then i tried to rev it and its actin up again so my question is what could it be my dad said just go through 1 by 1 cleaning stuff starting with the maf ... but would bad O-rings cause this cause i think the 2nd and 3rd cylinder fuel injectors are leaking cause i see a puddle around them and i smell gas really bad (now the smell could be bad gas i dunno)

i know this isnt pertaining to my v6 (which is now parked to save miles and i dropped insurance to save for mods) i just know yall are very helpful and some of yall know alot obout these motors i mean they are AWESOME i just cant quit get the bugs worked out ... but i got this car for 200 bucks cause it didnt run HAHAHAHAHA the fuel pump selanoid was all buggered up LMAO but the only thing is it has sat up for about a year or 2 or more i dunno so its got a coulpa lil problems but with yalls help i might make it my weekend drag car... oh and by the way it runs perfect up untill 3500rpms lmao
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds like a fuel issue. I'd pull the injectors, clean them or get them cleaned and reinstall them with new orings (which you know need replacing anyway). Then I'd run the codes and see what's going on. That'll point you in a direction to start looking.

You aren't running that old gas are you?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Yeh, I'd definitely drain the gas and clean injectors again. Don't run gas that has been sitting up. Definitely a no no
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
also what brand wires did you put on? 2.3Ts are sensitive to which wires you use..
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
also what brand wires did you put on? 2.3Ts are sensitive to which wires you use..
2.3T's like the Motorcraft tune up parts.

Check to see if you have fuel pooling up on the intake, if this is the case you probably have leaky injector o-rings, or a leak elsewhere.

They are right, do not run that 2 year old gasoline. There is a shelf life to the stuff. You might have water etc in there.

Also take the hose off the FPR and see if the diaphragm is leaking and putting fuel into your manifold.

If you are smelling gas, there is probably a leak. That or you need to quit huffing.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponycarman
Sounds like a fuel issue. I'd pull the injectors, clean them or get them cleaned and reinstall them with new orings (which you know need replacing anyway). Then I'd run the codes and see what's going on. That'll point you in a direction to start looking.

You aren't running that old gas are you?

Steve
what he said. a compression test never hurt anyone either. bad gas wouldn't be cause leaks though... just crappy running.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to THUNDERJET T/C
Re: 2.3l turbo trouble

drain the bad gas , fix the o rings , change the fuel filter , set the timing , check the tps sensor voltage .95v , check for a dirty airfilter
THUNDERJET T/C is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang