8.8 rear end - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
8.8 rear end

I'm checking into a new rear end (with t-lok of course) for Christmas...would either of these older model 8.8's work in my 2000 3.8 5spd? Also could someone tell me where I should get one new (for best price)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Thanks...
and, I would need rear gears with this, is that the only other thing it would cost other than installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

oh, and (I know I am stupid ) but what exactly are the benefits of upgrading to an 8.8
Thanks

Quote:
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:05 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
An 8.8 will simply hold up to more abuse.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

first and foremost - If you get an 8.8 from anything before 99, then you wheels will be sunken in more.

Just be warned, a rear end weighs over 75lbs but usually over 100lbs. Shipping will run you at least $100. Don't forget to add that to the price.

You can do the install yourself very easily. There are only 14 bolts that hold the rear end on. You just need 2 jackstands and a jack and some sockets ranging from 15mm to 21mm

btw, both rears will bolt right up
Old 11-04-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

how much farther in? I mean, is it going to be noticable, and will 18x9.5" wheels fix kinda (but not any time soon ) also, is this mod worth it if i plan to eventually mod it out or should i get other mods before i get this, because it wont be needed until maybe, a lot more mods...
Thanks

Quote:
Old 11-04-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

if you plan on getting a power adder (nitrous, turbo, super) then yes, get it.

it will sink the wheels in by .75" on each side. Enough to be visable. Wheels could fix it, depends on the backspacing though
Old 11-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

thanks, i found and read an earlier thread jimmy_beaner made asking basically the questions i had. I do plan on eventually supercharging [ ]so i guess i will search and save until i can get one. i think i just want to get one out of a 99+ gt so those ebay listings are not an option...i shall check the junkyard and i checked the sites you had posted and none was found. l think my limit on $ would be around 300 for Christmas so... i can work making about 200 per week during Christmas break and then i will have to find one...[/ ]

Quote:
Old 11-04-2004, 07:34 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

this isnt what i want is it
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...t=FMS-M-4235-E

Quote:
Old 11-04-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
No, that's just the axles, not the pumpkin (big center portion that holds the gears)
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleUSAF
thanks, i found and read an earlier thread jimmy_beaner made asking basically the questions i had. I do plan on eventually supercharging [ ]so i guess i will search and save until i can get one. i think i just want to get one out of a 99+ gt so those ebay listings are not an option...i shall check the junkyard and i checked the sites you had posted and none was found. l think my limit on $ would be around 300 for Christmas so... i can work making about 200 per week during Christmas break and then i will have to find one...[/ ]

ask yourself -- do you REALLY plan on supercharging? EVERYONE always says the plan on going forced induction, but less than 10% even do it. The 7.5 can handle over 300hp easily, so if you are only thinking you want to do it. keep the 7.5
Old 11-04-2004, 11:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Man. I've been planning on getting forced induction for like 12 years.
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser02
Man. I've been planning on getting forced induction for like 12 years.
lol, we all have
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
ask yourself -- do you REALLY plan on supercharging? EVERYONE always says the plan on going forced induction, but less than 10% even do it. The 7.5 can handle over 300hp easily, so if you are only thinking you want to do it. keep the 7.5
my supercharger hasent broken my 7.5 yet and put one on cause 13s in a v6 is a lot of fun. espically when you get to beat LS1s all day ... the LT1 chevys are a bit more of a challenge. Plan on spending money on a s/c, injectors,new fuel pump, chip ( and if they say it comes with one its not an off the shelf thing at all) You will need a posi rear end too and dual exhaust at the minimum to get real performance from it. So mabey do the rear and exhaust first and then when you got 4000.00 go with the supercharger.There are many Hidden costs you may not consider and places wont exactly tell you about them so they can advertise "the best price" injector harness, relocating the washer fluid container cause thats where the s/c goes on 99 and up and inner cooler is highly recomended, k/n filter that goes in your fender. non platnum plugs. Thats not even installed yet. droping the fuel tank to put in the new fuel pump is a *****. Mabey a 100 shot Zex for 500 bucks and a chip that will pull back your timing too 3-4 degrees ****** to avoid detination will be the chhepest way to go. BUT GET THE CHIP/TUNE to ****** the timing or anything over a 50 shot may hurt your engine. Espically if its hot out. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #14
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
lt1's should be eaiser to beat than an ls1

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:45 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin6
my supercharger hasent broken my 7.5 yet and put one on cause 13s in a v6 is a lot of fun. espically when you get to beat LS1s all day ... the LT1 chevys are a bit more of a challenge. Plan on spending money on a s/c, injectors,new fuel pump, chip ( and if they say it comes with one its not an off the shelf thing at all) You will need a posi rear end too and dual exhaust at the minimum to get real performance from it. So mabey do the rear and exhaust first and then when you got 4000.00 go with the supercharger.There are many Hidden costs you may not consider and places wont exactly tell you about them so they can advertise "the best price" injector harness, relocating the washer fluid container cause thats where the s/c goes on 99 and up and inner cooler is highly recomended, k/n filter that goes in your fender. non platnum plugs. Thats not even installed yet. droping the fuel tank to put in the new fuel pump is a *****. Mabey a 100 shot Zex for 500 bucks and a chip that will pull back your timing too 3-4 degrees ****** to avoid detination will be the chhepest way to go. BUT GET THE CHIP/TUNE to ****** the timing or anything over a 50 shot may hurt your engine. Espically if its hot out. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

i never said the 7.5 was a weak rear end. I was warning him that he doesnt need to buy an 8.8 if he isnt going FI. Heck, didnt Pete have a 7.5 for a long time in his car too? The launch is what really hurts the rear end, so if you are using it for highway races, 7.5 is fine
Old 11-06-2004, 03:54 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
I don't plan on upgrading my rear-end for awhile now, It's not necessary until your car is a god in the v6 world :p.

I say it's money that could be spent elsewhere for now.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh
I don't plan on upgrading my rear-end for awhile now, It's not necessary until your car is a god in the v6 world :p.

you you do what I did... 75 shot of nitrous with 4.10s and an aftermarket torque converter with slicks. That thing launched HARD. god bless sub 2.0 60's on a 98 V6 automatic.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you you do what I did... 75 shot of nitrous with 4.10s and an aftermarket torque converter with slicks. That thing launched HARD. god bless sub 2.0 60's on a 98 V6 automatic.
2.0 60 ft Sweet!!!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
lt1's should be eaiser to beat than an ls1
way easyer my friends 11.6 sec Ls1 is the on that makes me
Old 11-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i never said the 7.5 was a weak rear end. I was warning him that he doesnt need to buy an 8.8 if he isnt going FI. Heck, didnt Pete have a 7.5 for a long time in his car too? The launch is what really hurts the rear end, so if you are using it for highway races, 7.5 is fine
I understand you didnt say it was week.. just wanted him to know that the 7.5 has been put to the test and passed in my eyes. When you play like Pete the 8.8 is the way to go. I do my racing at the track more than highway. the track eats drive trains. BYRON DRAG WAY in IL. I may be at the limits at about 345 tourque at the wheeles? ( only a estimate no dyno to prove it)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang