making a v6 turbo manifold - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
making a v6 turbo manifold

me and my friends have decided to do this turbo ourselves! incase u havent heard tna turbo is no longer in business! which is cool cause this should be fun! this will be a HOME MADE kit and welding jobs! so my question is how exactly will this manifold work! we planned on taking the orginal off and welding a flange to it but in custom made pics it seems that the manifolds are facing the oppsite direction than they come! anybody got any help or suggestions! seroius ADVICE please!
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
Re: making a v6 turbo manifold

other people have simply swapped sides with the manifolds and welded on their own flange. However over time they are prone to cracking and usually last about a year or so. You're certainly not the first to do this yourself. Plenty of info out there.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks bro! so would i use the manifold on the driver?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
thanks bro! so would i use the manifold on the driver?
Well it depends on your set up but the most basic way is to take your stock manifolds, switch them from side to side and turn them towards the direction of your radiator. are you going to have a single or twin set up?

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

im going with just a single! i have a 2.5 piping and intercooler kit and its a t3/t4 turbo! i need to make a down pipe still and get my fmu as well! what ration do u recommend on the fmu? thanks for ur help man! we greatly apperciate it! any other info or advice would help! or any questions u need from me to know more just ask!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
im going with just a single! i have a 2.5 piping and intercooler kit and its a t3/t4 turbo! i need to make a down pipe still and get my fmu as well! what ration do u recommend on the fmu? thanks for ur help man! we greatly apperciate it! any other info or advice would help! or any questions u need from me to know more just ask!
What year stang do you have? I'm trying to remember all my stuff from when I had my 99 v6 and I was piecing together all the parts before it got totaled out.

I remember I needed a newer maf and got one off a 2002 since one of my sensors wasn't integrated back then and it would have popped out with the added pressure. Let's see, I was also going to have a single and put it where the battery goes. (To me I think that's more efficient instead of having it in front of the rad and fan where it will blow hot *** air on everything) My cross over pipe would have been either 2.5 or 2.25 to help keep the velocity up because I wasn't going to run more then 10 psi at the time. yea I would have run 2.5 " on the hot side and then open it up to 3" on the cold side. I wanted a 3" down pipe but I remember the manifold and other parts near the strut tower were cramp.

How much boost and power are you shooting for? Most people go as big as they can get with piping but velocity suffers.
A lot of the vacuum lines, t-bolts, oil fittings and what not can easily be found in a summit mag.
I was planning on having it tuned by a shop or taking it to Andy of TMA since he lived down the freeway from me.

Just be sure to use strong clamps on your couplers, have the least amount of bends as possible, double check your oil feed/drain lines, have good penetrating welds and don't rush the job, and you should do fine. Post up some pics when you get a chance. I miss the excitement of building up a turbo kit. good luck with it all.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

nice cobra by the way! its a 04 3.9! im still waiting to get the fmu but i will keep u posted and get ur advice on everything! i will post pics as we go! im looking at maybe 6-10 psi! i dont want to brake anything lol! this is my daily driver but willl be a play car one day!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Find a set of 94-98 V6 manifolds, they are basically shorty headers and do not have the cracking problem the 99-04 models have. You will need to plug off the EGR and smog connections on the original passenger side manifold which will be on the driver side. You will also need a block off plate for the EGR valve on the original upper intake or whatever version you will be using.

If you are just wanting to run 6-10 psi I would get a factory split port upper and lower ported by someone and run those, you won't see the gains worth the money for a welded sheet metal upper setup.

You might can still find the hot and cold piping from someone who has the parts laying around but it should be fairly easy to find piping setup for factory manifold setups.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

hey the cobra is right 94 shorty headers is what i got flippem towards the radiator the cooling issue is simple thermal wrap the exhaust part of the turbo and i think atk the junkyard has the cupler to the turbo and exhaust manifold it comes off a deisel piping is 2.5 so its like 1oo$ for that part but i have my own question i got a t-56 trans and conversion kit how do i make it fit my 94v6 its ment for cobra
dalltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you have experience doing this sort of thing go at it, if not dont do it... dont find out how bad you screwed up on your car lol learn on someone elses
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

ok well if any body can stick a cobra or gt trans on their v6 let me know this way i can stick the viper trans on my v-6 my wife kicks my *** in her 2001 celica damn toyota my mustangs pilot bearing was put on backwards i replaced it but now it only runs on 4th gear and im just waiting on being on the side of the highway pretty soon it stops at 100 turbo aint **** with out the best tranny
dalltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang