V6 1999 Poor Gas Mileage.. HELP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:21 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to StangCrazy
Question V6 1999 Poor Gas Mileage.. HELP

I have one 1999 V6 Convertible/Auto with 42K miles and one 2000 V6 Coupe/5SP Stick with 32K miles. I normally get 27+ MPG (HWY) in the 1999 and 29+ MPG (HWY) in the 2000. Both have a K&N Air filter. Other than that they are totally stock and have had routine oil changes and air filter cleaning every 10K miles. Recently the gas mileage in the 1999 has dropped off to the lower 20's. Neither car has had cheep gas. I have done all the normal things to correct this; tire pressures, make sure no brake pads are binding, clean air filter. I had the Auto-Trans fluid recently changed and this did not improve the gas mileage. No computer "error" codes are present. I am at the point where I think I need to replace the spark plugs. I just don't see how platinum plugs can go 100K miles without replacement. There has to be SOME carbon on them. The driver side 3 plugs look easy enough to get to but the passenger side 3 plugs are buried and cannot be accessed from the hood. Does anyone know if the mud skirt needs to be removed from the fender to get access to the passenger side 3 plugs?
StangCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to chips
in the 20's?

thats about twice what i get - consider yourself lucky.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
new gas filter, fuel injection cleaner, spark plugs, coil wires, coil pack? you should replace/use these normally not just when a problem occurs.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 01:38 AM   #4

Yo SpectorV............ Thanks. That's just what I'm trying to do. You normally start with the cheepest, simplist and MOST logicial thing first; IE spark plugs. If you READ my post, it asks for information on getting to the passenger side spark plugs. Have you changed the passenger side plugs in a V6 before or can refer me to anyone who has? You can't see them from under the hood. And do you know where the fuel filter is located?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangCrazy
I am at the point where I think I need to replace the spark plugs. I just don't see how platinum plugs can go 100K miles without replacement. There has to be SOME carbon on them. The driver side 3 plugs look easy enough to get to but the passenger side 3 plugs are buried and cannot be accessed from the hood. Does anyone know if the mud skirt needs to be removed from the fender to get access to the passenger side 3 plugs?
Plugs cant go 100,000. That is just some pipe dream. Only in a perfect world can that be obtained. There are to many variables such as fuel quality, Outside air temp, condution of plug wires and the engine.

All the plugs are accessible from under the hood with the proper tools.
A 3/8 socket set
A short and medium extension
A spark plug socket
You have to hold your tongue a certain way (It always works for me)
Old 11-08-2004, 08:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You prob could be your K&N. Remove the MAF sensor and clean the element with some brake cleaner or electronic cleaner.

DO NOT CLEAN AND RE-OIL K&Ns.

They are fine and actually work better once they get a little dirty. Replace them at 50k. It almost guaranteed that you will over-oil when re-oilling the filter = the oil ends up contaminating the MAF and causes excessively rich or lean conditions.

'99 4.2L 5-spd, Powerdyne, CNC'd heads, 211/.523 cam, 70mm TB, 1.8 RRs, JBA headers, custom X off-road, 90mm SCT, 60#s, Mach I duals, Ripper, PHP 8.8, Steeda UCAs, LCAs, 3.73s, Alum driveshaft, 245/45R17s on Silver Bullitts
11.3 @ 122 (ET Streets)
465 rwhp/460 ft/lbs (25hp dry shot)

12/00 MM & FFs, 7/01 5.0 & Super Ford, 2/02 Hot Rod
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Yo SpectorV............ Thanks. That's just what I'm trying to do. You normally start with the cheepest, simplist and MOST logicial thing first; IE spark plugs. If you READ my post, it asks for information on getting to the passenger side spark plugs. Have you changed the passenger side plugs in a V6 before or can refer me to anyone who has? You can't see them from under the hood. And do you know where the fuel filter is located?

Thanks in advance.
the fuel filter is right under the back end of the car, a shop can swap it out in 10 min the filter will run 5-8 bucks~

the spark plugs are not that hard to get to. for the pass side remove the air box and tb to air box hose.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete
You prob could be your K&N. Remove the MAF sensor and clean the element with some brake cleaner or electronic cleaner.

DO NOT CLEAN AND RE-OIL K&Ns.

They are fine and actually work better once they get a little dirty. Replace them at 50k. It almost guaranteed that you will over-oil when re-oilling the filter = the oil ends up contaminating the MAF and causes excessively rich or lean conditions.
you will put to much oil when you reoil it... its just the wayit works.... all you need to do is clean the maf after a week and then after a month and so forth... its a much better idea to just buy another filter and be done with it.... if you get it really dirty i would clean it every 15k~ and replace at 50
Old 11-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
you will put to much oil when you reoil it... its just the wayit works.... all you need to do is clean the maf after a week and then after a month and so forth... its a much better idea to just buy another filter and be done with it.... if you get it really dirty i would clean it every 15k~ and replace at 50
You are missing my point. Why do you need to clean it? The K&Ns flow way more dirty then a bolt-on V6 would ever need. Since its inevitable to over-oil them...just use them for 50k and then throw them away. Unless you live on dirt roads you'll never get them dirty enough to notice.

'99 4.2L 5-spd, Powerdyne, CNC'd heads, 211/.523 cam, 70mm TB, 1.8 RRs, JBA headers, custom X off-road, 90mm SCT, 60#s, Mach I duals, Ripper, PHP 8.8, Steeda UCAs, LCAs, 3.73s, Alum driveshaft, 245/45R17s on Silver Bullitts
11.3 @ 122 (ET Streets)

Old 11-08-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete
You are missing my point. Why do you need to clean it? The K&Ns flow way more dirty then a bolt-on V6 would ever need. Since its inevitable to over-oil them...just use them for 50k and then throw them away. Unless you live on dirt roads you'll never get them dirty enough to notice.
seriously?? I was just about to clean mine again, but after hearing this I think ill save myself the trouble.

Oh pete, just curious, but what would a reburn on my chip to ****** my timing a few degrees cost? Ive recently added a nitrous kit and dont want detonation.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #11

Thanks to all. I will replace the spark plugs and clean the MAF sensor FIRST and see if this corrects the problem. If this corrects the problem on the 1999 V6 I will do this as preventive maintenance on my 2000 V6 instead of doing it as corrective maintenance. Since I've used good gas, I think I will replace the fuel filter(s) at the recommended 50K interval (assuming the spark plugs and clean MAF sensor fix the problem). I have some electronic parts cleaner and think that would be better than brake cleaner because it is not as "corrosive" in nature to MAF sensor plastics. I will let you know if this fixes the problem. I just took another look at the passenger side plugs and I just don't see how my hands are going to get in there.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
seriously?? I was just about to clean mine again, but after hearing this I think ill save myself the trouble.

Oh pete, just curious, but what would a reburn on my chip to ****** my timing a few degrees cost? Ive recently added a nitrous kit and dont want detonation.
Yep, serious. The K&N flows about twice what a NA V6 needs.

I'll send a PM.

11.3 @ 122 (ET Streets)

Old 11-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I get 15-18 mpg..consider yourself lucky lol.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #14

The problem has been fixed. Two tanks now give me 27.3 and 27.4 respectively. How sweet is is. I did talk with two Ford mechanics and they gave me some insight all of you may want to know. If you are getting before 26MPG HWY A/C off, cruise, flat ground, close to sea-level, in the V6 AUTO or below 28MPG in the stick V6 (same driving conditions), you have a problem. If the plugs are clean and the throttle body is clean, it is most likely the bad MAF or a heavy foot. What they suggested for anyone who has a problem getting FORD to warrantee the problem (if your car is under warrantee) is to find a friend with the similiar car that has no gas mileage problems and swap the MAF assemblies between cars to point the problem at the MAF. If your car now gets a dramatic inprovement in gas mileage the the other car sees a dramatic decrease, you know where the problem is, instead of using "shotgun maintenance" to replace a good MAF. With the price of gas, it maybe well worth your while to try this. Brake cleaner should not be used to clean either the MAF or the throttle body assembly. The throttle body is teflon lined and the lining will be destroyed by brake cleaner. There is a "special" throttle body cleaner available at most parts stores. They recommend cleaning the throttle body assembly with a soft cotton shop rag and go easy with the tooth brush. After reassembling everything, the car will not idle correctly for a couple of minutes while the cleaner is being burnt off. Cleaning the thottle body takes about 15 minutes.
What I did to fix this poor gas mileage problem was:
1. Change the plugs. Using NGK plugs this time instread of Ford OEM.
2. Clean with MAF with alcohol based electronics part cleaner.
3. Clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner.
4. Use the K&N cleaning kit and clean and re-oil the K&N.

I would suggest this be done every 36K miles based on my limited experiencewith the V6.
K&N filter: I saw a 1.3 MPG (averaged over 5 tanks) inprovement by using the K&N instead of the standard filter and would highly recommend it for anyone interested in getting more MPG. K&N has a filter cleaning kit called the "Recharger Filter Care Service Kit" : PN 99-5000 that costs $12. It contains a detergent cleaner and air filter oil. These filters last forever if you follow the K&N cleaning instructions correctly and don't use hi-pressure air to blow out the water after cleaning. I intend to clean the MAF once every 5K miles and see if this corrects the oil migration problem from the K&N filter to the MAF sensor surface.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:34 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Who uses Brake Cleaner their MAF ?????????. It has always been stated to use Non Residue electrical Contact cleaner. That way at start up there is no cleaner that requires you to wait to burn off!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hm..I might have to sit down and clean my MAF and see if that helps.
Our's:
Old 11-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #17

I just talked to a friend who is as anal-retentive as me regarding the maintenance of his Stang. He has a 2000 V6 stick that also averaged 29 HWY. He recently installed a Borla Dual exhaust that has the new crossover network instead of the H-pipe. He tells me he now gets 31 MPG (averaged over 4 tanks) and has a lot more low end torque (as expected). And it sounds great. Seriously folks, his next step is to install stainless steel headers (so they wont rust out after 3 years on the east coast) . He is shooting for 33 or 34 MPG in a V6 Stick. In all honesty, I think this is obtainable. Just imagine (close to) 550M on a tank of gas on the road. Also, if you put wider tires on a car, you decrease your gas mileage from increased tire-road surface friction and a wider tire's inability to go around a corner (not talking about traction).
Old 11-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well I have Mach 1 takeoff's sitting in my kitchen ready to go on and will clean my MAF and see what a difference those two make. My reasoning for the exhaust is increased gas mileage lol. Had to talk myself into spending money somehow
Our's:
Old 11-10-2004, 12:57 PM   #19

Danger Dude......... I was just correcting some (bad) advise given to me.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #20

Dangle Dude...... If you read my post the rough idling has nothing to do with the cleaning of the MAF. That was caused by the throttle body cleaning.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Hey..it alright..he wasn't getting mad...just stating some stuff...
Our's:
Old 11-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

He was just making sure noone uses brake cleaner on their MAF or throttle body.
Our's:
Old 11-10-2004, 01:24 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Dangle Dude...... If you read my post the rough idling has nothing to do with the cleaning of the MAF. That was caused by the throttle body cleaning.

Same for the Throttle Body. I would not use Brake cleaner on anything but brakes. I use Non Residue electrical Contact cleaner on the T/B and then go behind it and polish it with metal polish and then clean it again
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #24

Wouldn't cleaning the throttle body with metal polish remove the teflon lining? I think the throttle body needs the teflon lining to stop oxidation so you dont have to use metal polish.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #25

But then again...... what do I know about anything?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Wouldn't cleaning the throttle body with metal polish remove the teflon lining? I think the throttle body needs the teflon lining to stop oxidation so you dont have to use metal polish.
You will find most people with modded cars have Ported and Polished T/B's There is no Teflon lining in them anymore!!!!! So you do have to polish them !!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #27

Tuche and peace............. I don't need to tweek my two primary modes for family transportation 'cause my play toy is a GT...... and I don't mean a Mustang either
Old 11-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

I would not exactly call my car tweeked !!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

My car's tweeked...not really..but kinda
Our's:
Old 11-10-2004, 07:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I use Brake Cleaner. As long as you aren't submersing the thing in cleaner...its fine. All it takes is a quick shot of brake cleaner on the elements and its clean. Brake cleaner is more aggressive but I like it because only a quick shot is needed to remove oil. IMHO...contact cleaner doesn't remove oil as well.

Most TBs do not have teflon in them. You can use brake or carb cleaner on them with no risk. Those Ford techs ought to get with the times.

11.3 @ 122 (ET Streets)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang