aw crap...antifreeze leak... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania
aw crap...antifreeze leak...

So I have noticed my 97 3.8L has been slowly but surely drinking waaay more antifreeze over the last few weeks. I made an appt. but it's not for another week yet. Now, I think I have to refill my tank every few days just to keep enough in. It puddles underneath my car every time I park. My only thought is, is it the head gasket, bc if it was would it cause to drip like this? Anyone else experience problems like this? Any tips are welcome bc I have to figure this out.

mustangmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Have you checked your water pump gasket lately, mine went bad a few years back

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Texas
I've had two coolant leaks in the last year and neither were because of headgaskets. One was the waterpump, the other the heater core.

The water pump has a weep hole in the snout, behind the pulley, that'll weep coolant once the pump seal fails. It's a almost PITA to replace it and my advice is to seriously consider replacing ALL the hoses at this time, I did and it's much easier to do both a pump and hose replacement together than to do them separately. If you do replace all your hoses make damned sure you reuse the orifice restrictor in the heater supply hose or you will need to replace the heater core.

The heater core is another story. It's a PITA that makes the water pump look easy. You have to evacuate the AC system, take the dash completely out, pull the heater box, hose it out (to get rid of the coolant smell that your wife says makes your car "stink") all to replace a $40 heater core. For giggles I had the dealer quote me a price, $600 labor.

A note on the restrictor, no I didn't forget to reuse mine. The original setup has the restrictor positioned in about the middle of the heater supply hose with a crimp band holding it in place. I reused the restrictor and crimp band. Evidently, I didn't recrimp the crimp band enough and the restrictor got loose, turned sideways and one 5500+ rpm blast later I had a leaky heater core. I went to the dealer to buy the hose, but they don't come with the restrictor installed, it's an added $32 part you have to buy separately. Being cheap I said F that and made one. I used a 1/2" pipe plug, with an allen socket in it. Drilled a 1/4" hole thru the fitting, screwed it into the hose, put a screw clamp (hose clamp) on to hold it and it works fine. Cost me nothing as I had the parts in my bin of spare crap I might one day have a use for. If you had to buy it I suspect it'd be less than $3.00.

Now, how do you know you have a leaky heater core? Simple, if your nose doesn't help (mine smelled like someing rotting, not like coolant), if you turn on the defrost and the windshield fogs up, you have a heater core leak. Another place to look is the heater box drain. It drains thru a tube located at the bottom of the firewall, just to the pass side of the trans tunnel, can see it from above, but odds are you'll have to stick a finger or something in the tube and see if it comes out wet, slippery, and green. (bad visions in my head unrelated to this post, go away visions).

A head gasket is something else altogether. There are tests that can be done, but it requires tools you probably don't have. You can add a dye to the coolant that'll fluoresce under black light, that might help track the location of the leak. An analysis of the coolant can show the presence of combustion chamber gasses in the coolant showing a leaky headgasket. A lekadown test can help too. Another indicators is bubbly coolant when the engine is running, start with the engine cold, pull the cap, start the eingine and observe the coolant CAREFULLY, do not stick your face right over the tube cause it'll burp hot coolant into said face making you unhappy whilst amusing the friends and neighbors. If the coolant is bubbly that's a sign of a leaky headgasket.

That's about it.

Now if you can't do the work yourself all of this is kinda moot anyway.
1996 Mustang
1965 Barracuda

Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang