How to fix this codes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How to fix this codes?

hey everybody!
I got my self an ELM327 OBD2 cable and connected it to the car (1996 v6 automatic). the checkengine light is on since i bought the car and im tired of looking at it..
well my codes are:
P1443 and P1151.

P1443: Evaporative Emission Control System - Vacuum System - Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve fault. (what does that mean??? and how do i fix it?)

P1151:
What does that mean?

A Heated Exhaust Oxygen (HO2S) sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.
Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems.
Causes

A code P1151 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Electrical:

* Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S
* Water in the harness connector
* Open/shorted HO2S circuit
* Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
* Damaged HO2S
* Damaged PCM

Fuel System:

* Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:

* Air leaks after the MAF
* Vacuum Leaks

PCV system:

* Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:

* Leaking gasket
* Stuck EGR valve
* Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:

* Oil overfill
* Cam Timing
* Cylinder compression
* Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)

Possible Solutions

* See the above list of causes and go from there.

Sources: MotorCraftService.com

(What should i check first? any tricks on fixing this?)

I copied this ifo from http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

and anouther few things about my car:

1.the radiator fan is connected directly to a 30 fuse under the steering wheel. my guess, its a half arse job of fixing a water temp unit malfunction. they prob did this so my engine wont overheat. the fan is allways on.. any ideas? and by the way, the engine temp gauge (the one on the top left) is moving but kind of weird. its under the [normal] area for most of the time, yet sometimes it does go higher. the pcmscan software i used showd me the water temp at 62 cel degrees which is kind of low, isnt it? air temp was 34 tho, which is kind of hot..

2.i looked at anouther 1997 v6 engine bay and noticed two hoses on the right side of the fire wall. one is heading out of the firewall and into somewhere in the engine and the other does a U-turn back inside the firewall. (this was on the friends stang). on my car the one thats supposed to do a u-turn is connected with the hose goin into the engine and the one that should be there is not connected to anything.. friend said its the heater, and they probably disconnected it because of some leak inside the car or something...
any ideas??
Il post some pics in a few min.
6opka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: How to fix this codes?

ok... extremly weird! i changed those heater tube placements and the check engine light vanished... checked the codes and they where still there.. I decided to delete em and they havent come back yet.. funny thing is, my o/d light started flashing as soon as check engine disappeared!?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

if you cleared the codes, they MAY come back. I was running around with p1151/p1131 IIRC, and it said the two front o2's were indicating lean. What it ended up being wasn't that I needed to replace my front oxygen sensors, but that I needed to clean my MAF. If you haven't done that recently, I would suggested bathing that bastard in some electrical contact cleaner. However, being that you're only throwing one side, you may consider replacing the o2 sensor.

You can run a ohmmeter to it and it should read 0.5 volts... however, they have to be HEATED first. O2 sensors only work above 600* F.

*I would recommend*
Or, you could swap the o2 sensors from passenger side to driver side and visa verse. If the code goes to p1131, you know that the one sensor is bad. If it remains a p1151 you know the sensor is fine and we can move on to the next diagnostic. And again, cleaning the MAF

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

usually when the maf is dirty i get rough idle right? my idle is fine.. i need to clean the tb because my rpm drops slow and shakes at around 1000-1400 rpm.
and isnt 1151 a sensor on the exhaust?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6opka View Post
usually when the maf is dirty i get rough idle right? my idle is fine.. i need to clean the tb because my rpm drops slow and shakes at around 1000-1400 rpm.
and isnt 1151 a sensor on the exhaust?
I didn't have any issues with idle when my MAF was causing my codes.

The 1151 is a code from the exhaust. However, the code is saying the problem the car is seeing, not WHAT the problem is. Many things can cause a car to run rich. If it's reading too much air coming in (more than actually is), then the car will run rich... and you will throw a code from the exhaust. I recommend swapping the o2 sensors from one side to the other and see if the code changes to 1131.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

ohhh... got ya.. i see. I'm going right out to try it!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6opka View Post
ohhh... got ya.. i see. I'm going right out to try it!
it shouldn't take you longer than 40 mins... even with my fat hands (at Rob's) I was able to do it in about 30 mins....

so have you gotten it done yet? haha

Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

the hose doing a u turn usually means the heater core has been bypassed, it must have started leaking.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i didnt try it yet. for some reason i got a laziness stroke. after connecting the heater hose it started working. tho after i shut down the car water starts spilling from a hole in the firewall underneath the heater hoses and onto the exhaust making a pretty strong hiss sound.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

If you're getting coolant out of that tube in your firewall it means you have a blown heater core. If you're running A/C or Defrost and you're getting just water, that's normal.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

figure this out... I had my CEL light come on tonight... for my rear oxygen sensor (pass side)... p0136... best part is, I have MIL eliminators that turn off the rear oxygen sensors, and they have worked flawlessly for 3 months I'm wondering if it was just a freak thing. It makes me very anxious to get a tuner so I can just shut them off permanently

Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

what kind of decoder do u have
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang