help with turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
help with turbo

im doing my turbo project on my 04 v6 mustang! somebody said something about taking manifolds off a 94-98 v6 mustang and swap sides to make my turbo manifold? could that work? if so what all do i need to do to the manifolds besides weld the flanges? thanks for the help guys!
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: help with turbo

ALRIGHt.........NOBODY? ok well has anybody heard of running turbo just in one side of the engine! theres a left and right manifold that usuually wrap out to the turbo! well my buddy has a idea that he thinks we can run it on just one manifold! the driver side! now i KNOW someone has some 2 cents to throw in! any help or suggestions would be great!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

For a SINGLE setup, you will only need to modify or custom make one header, the other stays stock.
If you place the turbo on the passenger side, then the drivers side header remains stock, but you will need to cut the drivers side H pipe (reduce the length). The driver's side equal length header goes to a x-over pipe under the motor and then into the turbo manifold on the pass side.

Search is your friend http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t101771/

get in contact with TMA he is the turbo Guru http://www.tmaturbo.com/

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thanks bro! i really need to hear a second opinon on this lol! its a t3/t4 turbo! im putting it on my 04 3.9 v6 mustang! whats a ball park figure on how much Torque/HP i can expect at 5 psi?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Why would you run only 5psi? With a good intercooled tt setup you can run 12psi no problem. Hell Justin got 450hp out of his tt setup on a stock 3.8, I believe at 15psi.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

5psi - 7psi you should see around 270-300rwhp~ there about but it all depends~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys! im only running 5 psi starting off cause i dont have the time to get it tuned! i figure it could be a lil unsafe to run an untuned turbo at more than 5 psi lol! but could i run it higher than that? i will get it tuned eventually im just tied up alot rite now with my business!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

your stock fuel system can handle a max of 5 psi. If you don't have the time to tune it now, you certainly won't have the time to rebuild your engine in the very near future. even an off the shelf map is better then no tune at all.

It might only take an hour or two on the dyno to tune it. How long is it taking you to build the whole set up?

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, if you can't afford to dyno tune, then you can't afford to turbo your car.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i been working on this on and off for 3 months! i just finally got serious about it in the last month! i will probably have it on in the next month and it dynod in the following month! i live in Columbus ga and i dont think theres any shops in town with a dyno! the moneys not a problem! im way under budget and have a about $1500-$2000 ready to drop on the dyno! just no time! if you guys no any spots around columbus ga with a dyno let me know! thanks slot for your help and concerns!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Shoot down to Orlando and get Justin from VMPTuning to do it. He goes up to GA every now and then with his dyno trailer too.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

thanks bro! whos justing? i really only know a few ppl who know or have anything to do with turbo! u know how much i could plan to spend? and after a tune would i beable to set it at my desired psi?
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you do NOT EVER drive a non tuned car after a major mod like a power adder EVER unless its limping it to the dyno EVER no excuses. Simply do not do it, 5psi with a crappy tune will destroy that car. If you want to rebuilt the motor then its your choice. A good tune isnt that much and will make all the difference.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Go to VMP Tuning Inc, they have a forum there, Justin got 450hp out of a completely stock 3.8
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

WOW! 450 is alot bro! hes running that on a stock engine? how did the rest of the car hold up? if u dont mind me asking what turbo set up did he run! mine a lil t3/t4 with 2.5 piping!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

450 at the wheels? thats waiting to blow probably~ seems more than 8-10 psi starts to pushing it, and generally thats 300-350rwhp~ now a built engine is a different story.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

2000 Mustang 3.8 A4 TT 450RWHP@17psi & 10.9@127.8 1.74 60ft@17psi stock motor

I'm pretty sure it's just a TMA kit with the A4 turbos, nothing all too special. It was done on a DynoJet, but regardless the times are pretty much spot on for the power.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

impressive! whats some other engine mods i might need to do for this turbo! i know fuel pump and fmu but should i change out pulleys on gaskets anywhere? just some ideas would be great to make the engine a lil more stronger!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ok i talk to another guy about using only one manifold for a single turbo setup! he said i could lose 70-100hp and i would have to set a higher psi to see the results! but higher psi means more risk of blowing the engine! anybody got any advice on this? the tma setup runs off 2 manifolds for a single turbo and thats the one i was gonna copy! but someone else is telling to only run it off one!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
ok i talk to another guy about using only one manifold for a single turbo setup! he said i could lose 70-100hp and i would have to set a higher psi to see the results! but higher psi means more risk of blowing the engine! anybody got any advice on this? the tma setup runs off 2 manifolds for a single turbo and thats the one i was gonna copy! but someone else is telling to only run it off one!
Whoever this person is, don't talk to them anymore. I like to think I have an open mind, but I see absolutely no logic in what they're telling you.

Run the single turbo off the manifolds using a cross over pipe. Most cross over pipes come off the passenger side and join up with the drivers side manifold which you weld the turbo flange onto.... Again use the least amount of bends possible... I'd use 2/14" or 2.5" cross over. I'd use a lot of pics from the TMA kits for reference but I really dislike having the turbo right behind the radiator and next to your belt. Andy was having cooling issues. I'd place it where the battery is but that involves some more fab but I think worth it in the end.

While things are apart, I'd use some ARP bolts, new head gaskets while you're at it, and have the upper lower intakes ported.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

thanks bro i mean it! but its funny u said that about port and polishing the upper intake! i swear on my life i was just about to post a new thread asking what kind of gains could be expected from port and polishing the upper intake manifold! its gonna be another month or so before we actually bolt on the turbo! i have decided to build the kit out side of the car over a months time then in 1 -2 days bolt/weld it on! i think that would be best considering this is my daily driver! but me and my father in law port and polished the manifold last nite and i was wondering if i was to go ahead and port and poish the upper intake how many HP/TQ would i get before the turbo?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well it's the lower intake that bennefits the most from porting but can also be the trickiest if you don't know what you're doing. I have an upper and lower I got off of TMA's car that I was porting and it got lost in the move, so I"m pretty pissed about that. I was gonna finish up the port job and then powder coat it and sell it.

But anyways with both the upper and lower ported "properly" you could see gains of 8-12 rwhp and similar torque. Now when you turbo it, I would expect anywhere from 15-30 more rwhp. When porting, Don't take off too much at once and make sure to do it EVENLY. A micrometer is worth the $30-50 since you'll be saving hundreds on doing it yourself. While you have your porting equipment out you can smooth out the throttle body up to the butterly and also the intake portion on the upper intake.

I'd clean the hell out of anything before porting it so you're not grinding dirt and grime into your intake, and use a good carbide tip and not those green stone looking things that come with dremels.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

aight gentlmen i have an idea......probably not the best but work with me lol! im having hell trying to build the manifold! but i think this might work! the pic is a turbo manifold for a 99-04 4.6 mustang! i have the a v6 3.9! but i think if i was to take the clamp off at the manifolds and put the v6 manifold on it then i think it would work! the pipes look like the would fit around my engine still and the flange is the right size for my turbo! this kit is only $400 bucks and it comes with everything there including a down pipe! i have everything i need except the manifold! i think this would work but i want more opinion from ppl who know mustangs! Any help or 2 cents is welcomed! thanks bros!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold.gif
Views:	347
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	20560  

Old 04-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

That piping looks pretty big. whats the diameter of it and what type of metal are they using?

I don't like the kink on the passenger side right before the small welded in flange.
I would want to see this in person or ask someone who has bought the kit. Seems like a good price for all of that.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
aight gentlmen i have an idea......probably not the best but work with me lol! im having hell trying to build the manifold! but i think this might work! the pic is a turbo manifold for a 99-04 4.6 mustang! i have the a v6 3.9! but i think if i was to take the clamp off at the manifolds and put the v6 manifold on it then i think it would work! the pipes look like the would fit around my engine still and the flange is the right size for my turbo! this kit is only $400 bucks and it comes with everything there including a down pipe! i have everything i need except the manifold! i think this would work but i want more opinion from ppl who know mustangs! Any help or 2 cents is welcomed! thanks bros!
That'll still require a ton of hacking and welding to make it fit correctly...
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Made of High Quality Stainless Steel
High Resistance to Heat - Made to last - Custom Turbo Manifold
Uses T4 Flanged Turbos
Comes with everything pictured as well as x3 2.5" Stainless Steel V Clamp and x1 3" V clamp
Direct Bolt on to ALL Mustangs 96-04 4.6L V8 Cobra / Mach1
Stainless Steel 2.5" Connector Pipes
Also comes with 3" Downpipe
Works with 35mm/38mm/44mm wastegate flanges included
Requires D&D styled K member to fit.
Does not work with Autotransmission and Air Conditioning (will require a lot of wiring modifications for AC to work)

this is the info listed for the product! i hope this helds! i have a welder so i can do minor modify!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Well you're prob going to have to recreate your headers to be designed like those.

Don't know if you'll need it once you're done but if that kit says you'll need a K member you just might need a k member to make it work. I'm not sure I wouldn't try and adapt when its not that hard to build a setup.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

i been trying but its really diffcult for me! explain in detail how to do it if u get time! im tryong to weld excess pipe from the manifold to reach around up front behind the raditor to where the turbo will sit and the same thing on the other side! have u ever built a trubo manifold for a v6 mustang? if so please share any tips or advice man! im really wanna get this thing on!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

supersix makes a sheet metal intake for your car fyi
Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hey where the hell did you get that deal ill buy it **** you cant beat that ill cut off the v8's exhuast manifold and stick my stock shorty headers off my v6 mustang and weld that sum ***** -sum*****
dalltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang