camshaft questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

camshaft questions

im going to start my research into the world of camshafts for the v6 (since the holidays are coming up and ill be getting some extra money) First i will start by saying i know nothing about the camshaft, besides what it does. i dont know what will be the best and what will hurt the engine, so i figured this would be the best place to start and get some help.

first id like to give a little quote from the latest MMFF
"Comp Cams has just the fix to help get more air into and out of the cylinders of V-6 engines. They have released Xtreme Energy camshafts for the 3.8 and 4.2 liter engines."

seeing this sparked my thoughts of getting a new cam. the questions i came here to ask are:
-what type of power will i see from just the cam installation?
-which would be the best one to get Morano, SuperSix or Comp Cams?
-if Comp Cams is the best which one, they offer 3 http://www.powerandperformancenews....ory_Code=44-CAM
i do not know what any of the numbers on those 3 means

-what other parts do i need to get and how much will these run? where can i get them?
im guessing this is a not do it yourself install so about how much would a garage charge if anyone knows

that is about all for now i thank anyone for any help
cash05_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Well actually to answer to your more we need to know alot more info from you such as what year is your car and hat are your plans for the car. Lets say you have a 94 a 207/215 cam would most likely be too small, but if you have a 99+ it could be just right. And do you plan on a 4.2 in the future? And finally if you do have a 05 Mustang, you don't have the same V6 engine that the rest of us have. You have a 4.0L V6 that has SOHC just like the GT's. Let us know so we can help you.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

sorry i forgot to put that in
i have a 98 and my plans are to eventually P&P and put a supercharger on it. those are the biggest mods i will probably do. so far i have a catback exhaust, UDP, and CAI

i dont look to get a 4.2 any time. i will stay true with the 3.8 (and i wish i had an 05, only a GT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

if your looking for a cam that would be good with a supercharger you could go with the 207/215 but make sure you get at least 110-112 LCA for the extra air. if you wanted you could get more lift from the cam but stay away from too much more duration because with a supercharger it might be too much. you could probablay get .500 lift with the supercharger. if you get another cam you will also need t get new valve springs to handle the lift and longer pushrods for the new cam. or you can get roller rockers to eliminate the need for new pushorods but they can cost a pretty penny. with your upgraded exhaust you could get more lift for the exhaust side too. BTW, rpm-mustang makes nice reground cams for your car and they will customize it for your application at no charge.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

actually you should go with the 216/225 cam. i just noticed that you had a 98. then with that you could easily get over .525 on the intake side and .530 on the exhaust. it is a very agressive cam and your idle will be a bit weak but with a supercharger it shouldn't matter much.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

A 216/225 will be your best bet for your car. It will give your 98 a nice rumble at idle and will increase your hp approx. 20-30 more If done with heads and intakes, you can see up to 50 more hp and tq. IMO I would stay away from Morana just because I think he's overpriced. SSM isn't bad either, but I think they also have too high of prices. Talk to Mik at RPM-Mustangs.com

Old 12-04-2004, 12:52 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Would that same cam work on a 97?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:55 AM   #8
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh
Would that same cam work on a 97?
Yes, if you have the same set up he i going for

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:57 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well I have a little more than him but I don't plan on supercharging, I want to turbo. But that's like 2 years of saving down the line...
Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 AM   #10
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh
Well I have a little more than him but I don't plan on supercharging, I want to turbo. But that's like 2 years of saving down the line...
In your garage it doesnt say you have heads. If you get a cam you need to get heads at the same time. Just swapping a cam out will not net you much and will make it harder to get a good tune.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:11 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well I know that I need to get Heads and an Intake to take full advantage but I want to find out what cam to get with the RPM kit. I'm prob going to end up getting it within a month so just doing research now.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

so it would be best to do cam and P&P all at the same time to see the most power from the cam and P&P. i am looking to supercharge way down the line (hopefully in a couple years). so is it still safe to get a cam that would go with the SC and not have the SC on (if ya understand that)

also on the P&P what are the best specs and is it cheaper to have the originals taken to get done or get ones already done. and about how much does P&P cost

sorry if these questions seem a lil dumb to you guys, im not that smart on these details of engines and mods this big
Old 12-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yes, actually a split profile cam like the 216/225 is perfect for supercharging. Split profile mean you have different durations for the intake and exhaust. In this case you would have a 216* duration for the intake and a 225* duration for the exhaust. If you have a single profile cam, the durations for the intake and exhaust are the same, and are used on N/A car with no supercharger or power adder. As for the P&P, it doesn't matter, but buying ones already made will allow for less down time.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

when buying PI heads make sure that you get the 3 angle valve job. not all PI heads have the valve job on them. it does make a different in HP gains. RPM makes nice heads with many available options to chose from. extremeeffect is good but a bit pricey.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

could someone make a list of everything that i would need to get the most power out of the cam and P&P. this way when i decide to get it i will know what to ask for. so far all i know is 3 angle valve job, 216/225 cam, and ive read RRs and rods.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:58 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05_mustang
could someone make a list of everything that i would need to get the most power out of the cam and P&P. this way when i decide to get it i will know what to ask for. so far all i know is 3 angle valve job, 216/225 cam, and ive read RRs and rods.
You really can't make a list like that because the cam is like the heart of the engine. Any mod you do will basically be more worth while because of the cam and heads. So a TB, P&P intakes, a CAI, dual exhaust and anything else you can think of will result in more power because of the cam and heads.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #17
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05_mustang
im going to start my research into the world of camshafts for the v6 (since the holidays are coming up and ill be getting some extra money) First i will start by saying i know nothing about the camshaft, besides what it does. i dont know what will be the best and what will hurt the engine, so i figured this would be the best place to start and get some help.

first id like to give a little quote from the latest MMFF
"Comp Cams has just the fix to help get more air into and out of the cylinders of V-6 engines. They have released Xtreme Energy camshafts for the 3.8 and 4.2 liter engines."

seeing this sparked my thoughts of getting a new cam. the questions i came here to ask are:
-what type of power will i see from just the cam installation?
-which would be the best one to get Morano, SuperSix or Comp Cams?
-if Comp Cams is the best which one, they offer 3 http://www.powerandperformancenews....ory_Code=44-CAM
i do not know what any of the numbers on those 3 means

-what other parts do i need to get and how much will these run? where can i get them?
im guessing this is a not do it yourself install so about how much would a garage charge if anyone knows

that is about all for now i thank anyone for any help

...Check my sig, I'm doing cams for RDMotorsport now and
I've been doing cams for these engines longer than anyone except Morana. (Even Comp!)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang