x charger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
x charger

Alright guys, I got a few question that I'm just gunna throw out there, and I know a few guys are going to chime in and say what about the PH turbo kits. Trust me that has not been voted off but one topic at a time. I currently have a 2009 Mustang, 4.0, Pony Package, 5-speed, and just rolled over 500 miles today.

I have been doing some research on the x-charger it seems to be a very well built system for the 4.0, with not over the hill performance but defiently a very nice upgrade. Recently, I have been looking at H.O system with the intercooler, the 2.8 pulley, CIA, package etc. I would also like to get the wet jet kit, from bama chips I just feel that the added cooling will help me especially living in the great state of florida. Of course, this system would be tuned by either VMP or Bama, even though Bama seems to have the upper hand when it comes to this system.

Now this would not be only modification I plan on getting true dual exhaust, shorty heads, t-lok, 3.73 gear, hurst shifter, and a new aluminum drive shaft. Possibly depending on how much horse power I would potentially push out with these mods I may just wanna look into getting a 8.8 rear end out of a gt to handle the added horse power.

But I would have to say the most obvious thing is that I would like to keep the car dependable it will still be my daily driver. Mind you I work literally 2 miles from work so I don't really travel to much but I still don't want to be limited to the use of my car by the mods I would like to do. I know alot plays a factor on the dependability of the motor is how much boost you are going to the run, the kit comes with a 2.8 pulley which say will run about 10lbs of boost. Is that to much for a stock motor?

Pretty much just asking what you guys thing, how you feel these mods will do with the car, and will it stay dependable DD? Looking foward to hearing all the great information I'm gunna get out of this thanks
BigTicket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: x charger

I know that the x charger has been around for a while, apparently the 4.0 motor has been used since 98 in the explorer and 01 in the ranger, and the x charger itself was originally designed for those applications and was more recently modified to fit our cars. Since this build is literally ten years old now, I'd poke through some ranger and explorer forums to see what problems occurred with this setup. I don't think any v6 mustang has had an x charger long enough to determine the long term wear and tear.

I think the weakest link in the chain is the tranny, unless you put a GT tranny in there i wouldn't even bother going with an 8.8 inch rear because I know a guy that went through three T5s and then decided to get a GT tranny. Just something to think about...
stangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Really I have not heard that from anyone yet, I appreciate you throwing a monket wrench into my plan lol jk. I would rather you through a monkey wrench in the plan then me lose a few gears lol. Do you have any information in regards to these issues???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

post some pics of the setup up
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

This right now is my plan for the vehicle but I am tring to do my research and set an end goal for the vehicle prior to begin modding. Obviously such things as exhaust and a good tune will be done regardless. But I have been pulled in a few directions and am tring to set a plan that I would like to work towards, so far this is waht I came up with because I wanted to step up the cars power make it fun to drive, but not totally sacrifice reliability.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

A tranny swap can be as expensive as supercharing it and swapping the rear end to a 8.8 is also expensive, about a 1,500$ ordeal.

If it were me, I would x charge it and just get a trac-Lok ( for 7.5" rear) and maybe 3.73 gears, that will help put all the power to the ground and then you can upgrade the tranny and the rear when they break and not all at once, this makes it easier to justify because you now HAVE to replace stuff, lol, besides, with normal driving and keeping the burnouts for the weekends only, the tranny and the rear might last forever
Old 04-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

O I agree a hundred percent plus I drive about 10 miles a day on a normal day I work about three miles from the house and the gym is about another five so I really keep my driving to minimum. But with my new found love i have been finding reasons to continue driving. There is a really nice kit on mustang collection that one of the members have found to upgrade the trans to a gt (tr3650) which like you said may never need to be done but who knows. I'm not tring to go crazy with the horse power just put a few of the ricers in there place, and i have never gone to track so I dont see that in the near future as well, but can never predict the future now can we.

I appreciate all of the advice and bringing the trans issue to my attention it defiently forced me to do further research with is always a good thing. What do you think about that water jet kit that is avaliable from bama?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Have u seen or heard of anyone finding an innercooler system avaliable for it? My only concern is I drive a black car in central florida defiently have to put cooling an important concern on the list.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think the x charger has an intercooler option but I'm pretty sure the procharger does, I haven't heard anything about the bama chip setup
Old 04-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i would want an intercooler regardless
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I agree I would prefer an inner cooler as well especially living in the sunshine state while driving a black car....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

well when the inter cooler is in the picture it cools the air that is pun intended forced into the block. colder air makes it more condensed when in return allows more airflow, so you will see better #s with lower PSI because you are getting the full potential.:burnout:
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Do we have any idea as if they is any more talk in regards to the xcharger ever having an inner cooler avaliable for it, and what about that wet kit from bama that supposively helps cool it and produce bettter #'s is this a similar concept or is it as good as its gunna get.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang