Engine quits - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #1

Engine quits

Hi all,

I have a 2000 3.8 L with a Pro Charger Supercharger. The car ran great since we bought it. Yesterday it ran great. Today it starts without giving it gas then shuts off in seconds. Why" Seems liuke it is starving for gas. Never ran it out of gas. ?? Fuel filter or something in the supercharger?

Thank you,
Ted
tmyers58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Engine quits

fuel filter should be changed every 12k miles, so I'd start there.
RyansQuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Like Ryan said fuel filter is a good starting point could also be fuel pump, Dirty MAF Etc

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #4

The problem resolved itself once and ran fine, but now it has started to do the same thing again. I was told it was probably a anti-theft problem that allowed the engine to be started then it stopped after only a few seconds. I tried to reset it by locking the door from the outside then unlocking it using the remote control. The theft light still blinks. How can I reset this so it will keep running? Is there a way to unhook the theft device?

Thank you,
Ted
Old 04-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Is the engine struggling when it dies? or is it like a clean cut Kill? (as if you turned it off)

I would find it hard to believe the anti-theft would be killing the vehicle while driving or even that the vehicle would recover from this. That is not the anti-theft system's job or within its normal ability.

We need some more details.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #6

The engine starts without any difficulty. Don't need to give it gas when it starts. It runs for 2 seconds then stops. It is a clean kill just as if I turned off the switch. It did this before but resolved overnight. Since then it has been driven without a problem. Now it does it again. The anti theft light on the dash is blinking. I have tried locking and unlocking the doors with the remote. I removed te theft fuse, but the light still blinks. The light on the remote blinks, so I remnoved the battery from the remote. Wil;l replace it when I get another.

Ted
Old 04-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would look into getting your key reprogrammed. If you have a bad key or the key lost its programming it could be causing this problem. If your worried about anti-theft. Which it does sound probable.

Honestly I would have Ford look at this issue.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang