CAI installed... low idle problems... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2003, 12:53 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to RedStang830
CAI installed... low idle problems...

I posted this over at the 3.8 forums... but since I see some posting here about the 99+ intakes on 94-98 cars... what the hell... I'll post it here. Plus, Rellik, the CAI genious, seems to hang out here a little more (couldn't have done it without your info man).

I just installed my cold air intake yesterday morning... and it was a little bit of a ##### since it's an eBay one desinged for the 99+ models... but thanks to Rellik's information, I was able to get it on. I didn't get to drive the car until later last night because I had a graduation party to go to right after I finished installing it (it was my neighbor's... so I didn't drive my car). So later on we decide to go rent a movie and I offer to drive since I wanted to test out my new CAI and see what it was like. So I pick my friends up, and the first stop sign I come to... my RPMs drop to like 500-600. It felt really wierd, I thought the car had died it was so quiet. I noticed that my car only does this when I'm sitting idle while in drive... when I put it in park the RPMs go back up to 800 or so... is there anything I can do to fix this, or isn't it even something to worry about. I'm not sure if anyone else has had a similar problem after installing their cold air intake.

I know all my connections are tight... the only thing that I had to get creative with was connecting that one hose to the metal inlet sticking out of the intake pipe. I had to use about a foot of heater hose as an extension so it would reach since the metal inlet was on the opposite side of the pipe. I'm not sure what could be causing my idle to drop so friggin low... any ideas?
RedStang830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
With that creative heater hose solution... could you be getting an air leak out of that somewhere? Low RPM's is normal, Mine idles at about 700, but if the engine is bogging out at all, then something is wrong.

One solution could be some Silicone sealant at the connections of that heater hose PCV line you made. It really sounds like it's leaking somehwere.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

I wouls also like to add something. I havn't gotten 1/15th the recognition in 3.8 as I get here. No matter how much I help out over there, I always feel like I am completly overlooked. People here are respectful to the point of PM'ing me and asking me for help, or just a simple thank you. People finally have given me the recognition that I've wanted. But in all honesty, Just knowing I'm helping people makes me feel better about myself.

232stangs.com and it's partners have given me the recognition that I've wanted. And I even got a sponsor out of it too. Which I am very thankful for.

I would like to say thank you to the owners, administrators, members and partners of 232stangs.com. You guys ROCK!!! :cooler:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2003, 06:19 PM   #4

I truly do appreciate the time you put into writing those FAQs about cold air intakes... and your descriptions of what is needed to put those eBay CAIs on our model Stangs was the only reason this thing got on my car in under two hours. Otherwise I'd probably have said the hell with it and sold it only to spend $100 more for one that fit directly.

Back to the subject... it didn't seem quite as bad driving around today, I didn't notice any strange silence when I came to a stop like I did last night. I know people have said that their cars actually adjust to mods like CAI and exhaust over time... who knows, maybe that's the case? It does whistle a bit... and it does sound kinda cool, not overpowering at all like I had feared. I have also seemed to gain back the power lost in the low end from my dual exhaust... but I haven't been rippin' around the streets/highway yet to test the top end. The car seems to have balls at all RPMs now. All in all... I notice the gains from this a lot more than I did my exhaust... but they do work hand in hand.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

HMMM i would say that rellik seems right on the head here. Just go up to autozone, they will cut you a longer pcv line for CHEAP to the direct size and color you need, and then just use a cinch tightener (smaller) on the connection to the big metal inlet.
Sil\/erSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Question I just thgought of. Did you disconnect your battery when you did your install? If not, you may want to try that route. Disconnect your battery for about 5 or so minutes.

Since you said it is running better, the computer may have already adjusted.

Let me know.

Quote:
and your descriptions of what is needed to put those eBay CAIs on our model Stangs was the only reason this thing got on my car in under two hours.
LOL. Thank you. I'm glad you were able to benefit from my expierences. It took me about 7 hours to get everything to fit the first time. And trust me... it was a very frustrating expierence
Old 07-27-2003, 10:52 PM   #7

Actually I did have the battery disconnected after I installed it... reason being is that the negative terminal keeps corroding. So I installed the CAI, backed my car up to the garden hose... cleaned off the corrosion with steel wool, cleaned around the battery (which was disconnected at the negative side), then sprayed the area clean. I then let the car sit for 15-20 minutes to dry, connected the battery, sprayed some stuff on the terminal to prevent corrosion, then put my car away. That night is when then idle was strangely low... and today it wasn't as bad, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:18 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Water and steel wool huh? Can I share a simple trick to get rid of that corrision?

A glass of water, with about 2 teaspoons of Baking Soda. Mix the baking soda and the water together, and then pour that water over the corrosion. Baking soda is a nutralizing agent to Sulferic Acid. You'll see it bubble and fizz and the corrosion just disolves away.

If you trusted me with your induction system, trust me on that. It's a lot cleaner, and since the acid is nutralized, it's a lot safer.

And let me know about the CAI. I hope you're enjoying it
Old 07-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #9

Well hopefully I won't have to clean the terminal anymore since I sprayed that corrosion prevention crap on it... but that does sound like an easy way as well.

The idle doesn't seem to be dropping below 600 or so anymore... so I'm not worried. I can hear it whistle at times when my exhaust is quiet... but my Spintech Sportmans usually overpower any CAI whistle. I have yet to test it on the highway, I've heard CAIs really shine when you punch it on the highway... we'll see. If I wouldn't be going to college soon, I'd get some spacers from Flex and maybe an underdrive pulley... but that can wait till next spring.

By the way, Rellik. Do you think that an underdrive pulley is really worth it? I know you've said that Flex's spacers are the most noticable mod that you've done, but what about the pulley? I'm mainly interested in gaining back some more low end torque.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Pulleys are dyno proven at 8rwhp/8rwtq.

I noticed mine, however my car had many problems when I installed it and they are just now almost gone.

As for the spacers, Im not for or against them. The gains they make are so small ( I've read people jumping for joy at ~2mph in their 1/4 Trap )that the money spent can be better used on other things. ( pulley, chip, cam, etc. )

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:01 PM   #11

Aight, so maybe the pullies would be somethin' to think about.

Anyways... a little update with my intake. For some reason, everytime I drive when it's raining and the humidity is very high, my intake is a lot louder, and my RPMs drop to like 500 at stop signs and red lights... is something like this normal? I know the one day was 100% humidity and my car drove like this... the next night it was nice and dry... my car ran fine... the intake was even quieter. What gives?

I'm planning on maybe replacing the entire PCV line since I've got heater hose there as an extension and the stock part of it is dry rotting... that's the only connection that could be iffy... but I'm pretty damn sure everything is tight... no loose connections.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:21 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
I wouls also like to add something. I havn't gotten 1/15th the recognition in 3.8 as I get here. No matter how much I help out over there, I always feel like I am completly overlooked. People here are respectful to the point of PM'ing me and asking me for help, or just a simple thank you. People finally have given me the recognition that I've wanted. But in all honesty, Just knowing I'm helping people makes me feel better about myself.

232stangs.com and it's partners have given me the recognition that I've wanted. And I even got a sponsor out of it too. Which I am very thankful for.

I would like to say thank you to the owners, administrators, members and partners of 232stangs.com. You guys ROCK!!! :cooler:
Damn Evin I felt the exact same way at 3.8 no respect at all!!! By the way we all rock here hehehehehe
Old 08-03-2003, 08:23 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Pullies are well worth the money
Old 08-03-2003, 09:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

check for air leaks. take some carb cleaner and spray it around... if your car bogs down (rpms drop low) for that second you spray it, you found a leak.

Or get a vacuum gauge and check your vacuum. Low idle rpm's sound like theres a leak somewhere.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 08-03-2003, 09:16 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

usually if you have a vacume leak and it causes the idle to drop you usually get a real rough idle
Old 08-03-2003, 09:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

true but it can be small

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 08-03-2003, 09:33 PM   #17

Yeah I can't say that I feel any roughness at idle... but the RPMs definately drop... I'll check for some leaks I suppose...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai