performance Mod?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Murph00
performance Mod??

I always see the Performance modules that say they alter certian settings in ur cpu to add more fuel to the engine, companies like venom ( i do like certian aspecs of venom), or jet v-chip, Do these things even work or is it a waste of time, and if they do what is the difference between cheaper e-bay Performance module?
Murph00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
if your gonna get a chip DO NOT buy jet, if you decide to get blown you're SOL. If i were you I'd buy a diablosport predator tuner go to www.joeblowracing.com they're having one helluva sale right now.

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Some performance chips are a waste of your time. SCT has full control of the EEC, and the most parameters. Venom doesnt even reprogram the computer. Jet has barely any control, and you cant reprogram the chip so your stuck with what you get. SCT is therefore the best choice.

The eBay performance module you are refering to is most likely the IAT resistor, and it is a complete waste of time. It does nothing for your car.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

www.VMPTuning.com - SCT Chips, Flashers, and Dynotuning.
Phone: 321-206-9369
Email: Jason@VMPTuning.com
JasonVMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

SCT is the best chip on the market, but predator lets you adjust things as you go without having to send the chip back for a reburn.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

will the predator work with a v6??
Old 12-15-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph00
as long as you buy the one FOR the v6 it will

Old 12-15-2004, 08:56 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph00
i think it will work, I no idea for sure though, but if I were you, I wouldn't even waste my time or money on anything else other than SCT. It's by far the best and only product worth the money you pay for it. I guess I should ask why do you want a chip? If it's only for more hp and that's all, then you're actually wasting your money, even if it's on a SCT chip. When you decide that you're done with your engine mods or after you install a SC or better heads or something major should you get a chip burnt.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I just thought about a chip, nothing set in stone i just always wondered, the only thing ive done performance wise to my stang is dual exhaust, im still working on the 3.73's or 4.10's cant make up my mind yet
Old 12-15-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
SCT is the best chip on the market, but predator lets you adjust things as you go without having to send the chip back for a reburn.
That is true when it comes to the chip. But, you could always go with an X-Calibrator Flasher and also get the PC to Flasher Cable along with the software which will allow you to make small changes to the program that was tuned for you.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonVMP
That is true when it comes to the chip. But, you could always go with an X-Calibrator Flasher and also get the PC to Flasher Cable along with the software which will allow you to make small changes to the program that was tuned for you.
oops i forgot about that

BTW murph you WILL need a chip when you get gears so i'd wait till you get gears to buy it

Old 12-15-2004, 10:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
Quote:
as long as you buy the one FOR the v6 it will

Can I get one for the 95?
Old 12-18-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

SCT has support for the 95'.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
Quote:
SCT has support for the 95'.

Chip or a programmer?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianMustang
Chip or a programmer?
If you have a V6 then there is chip and flasher support. If its a GT there is only chip support.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to chips
Quote:
oops i forgot about that

BTW murph you WILL need a chip when you get gears so i'd wait till you get gears to buy it
out of curiosity, just how much experience do you have with chips?

what kind of chip do you have?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips
out of curiosity, just how much experience do you have with chips?

what kind of chip do you have?
none personally however i do read the articles on this site since i am guaging on buying one as soon as i can save up money.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
none
that's the key word here.

i'm not trying to be a dick, but you can't give advice on something like this when you have no experience and no knowlege except for the artical you read.

it would be a different story if you were giving advice on flowmaster exaust or CAI's since you do have experience with that stuff, but unless you really know what you're talking about, it's best not to give advice.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

i'm not trying to be a dick, but you can't give advice on something like this when you have no experience and no knowlege except for the artical you read.

it would be a different story if you were giving advice on flowmaster exaust or CAI's since you do have experience with that stuff, but unless you really know what you're talking about, it's best not to give advice.
dude chill, tim is just spreading the little knowledge he has about chips. he is just telling him very basic stuff, its not like he is advising him on what to get.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

tim i agree somewhat, i've gotten better about giving advice on things that i have NO idea about. However i was simply restating things that i have read that is all i was doing. And no i'm not getting mad or anything i'm just letting you know what my intentions were.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you have a V6 then there is chip and flasher support. If its a GT there is only chip support.
I got a V6, so I can get a programmer for mine?

I want a programmer if I can get one
Old 12-27-2004, 10:32 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yes you can get a programmer, a.k.a. flasher. Since you know I have a V6 also, what I do is make my own program on my computer and download it into my flasher and then I take that to my car and I can flash my EEC with the new program, no chip needed. It makes it easier I think to change programs, no need to pull and panels and remove the EEC. The only things I need to do is pull the fuel pump fuse and put my battery charger on the car and plug in my flasher. That takes me about a whole minute.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
its not like he is advising him on what to get.
wtf?

Quote:
SCT is the best chip on the market
Quote:
if your gonna get a chip DO NOT buy jet
Quote:
I'd buy a diablosport predator tuner

what were you saying 232?
Old 12-27-2004, 11:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
tim i agree somewhat, i've gotten better about giving advice on things that i have NO idea about. However i was simply restating things that i have read that is all i was doing. And no i'm not getting mad or anything i'm just letting you know what my intentions were.
yeah, im sorry i'm coming off as an *******, but i just don't want to see anyone get bad advice. i know your intentions are good, but what if those articles have misinformation or false statements?

neither of us wants to see anyone get mad if they get bad advice.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
wtf?

what were you saying 232?
lol, i should have payed closer attention to what he said.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, im sorry i'm coming off as an *******, but i just don't want to see anyone get bad advice. i know your intentions are good, but what if those articles have misinformation or false statements?

neither of us wants to see anyone get mad if they get bad advice.
tim, i do understand what you are saying. However i do have certain facts down like for instance a jet chip is not programmable at all, therefore you would not want that if you plan on modding in the future. SCT is the best chip from every person i've heard, and as for diablo well, i've just heard quite a few rave reviews from the users and if i was to buy a programmer it would be diablo, again i did state that these were the what I would do.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
Yes you can get a programmer, a.k.a. flasher. Since you know I have a V6 also, what I do is make my own program on my computer and download it into my flasher and then I take that to my car and I can flash my EEC with the new program, no chip needed. It makes it easier I think to change programs, no need to pull and panels and remove the EEC. The only things I need to do is pull the fuel pump fuse and put my battery charger on the car and plug in my flasher. That takes me about a whole minute.
Got a link to where I can get one?

why do you got to pull the fuel pump fuse?
Old 12-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianMustang
Got a link to where I can get one?

why do you got to pull the fuel pump fuse?
Well you have to pull the fuse i think because it causes a constant drain on the battery once the ignition is engaged. And the software comes with a little online "booklet" and it says to make sure you don't let your voltage change or it could screw up your EEC. That's why i use a battery charger so my voltage does stay the same. The flasher that I have is no longer made and now SCT has a new one called the X-calibrotor I think. You can get them from Alberto at AmericanMotorsport. Now with that you just get 2 or 3 programs for your car. ANother possibility is to get a thing called the racer package. With that you get software to fully program your EEC. Like if you want to remove your rear 02 sensors. You can go into your software turn them off, program your Xcalibrator with the new program and you're off to your car. The racer package give you complete control of your EEC and SCT also has an online help 24/7. Once youjoin you get access to there forums, so you can ask for help and they usually response in under 24 hours. Also I'm sure if you bought it from Alberto he would even help you out some.

Old 12-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Stallion
Well you have to pull the fuse i think because it causes a constant drain on the battery once the ignition is engaged. And the software comes with a little online "booklet" and it says to make sure you don't let your voltage change or it could screw up your EEC. That's why i use a battery charger so my voltage does stay the same. The flasher that I have is no longer made and now SCT has a new one called the X-calibrotor I think. You can get them from Alberto at AmericanMotorsport. Now with that you just get 2 or 3 programs for your car. ANother possibility is to get a thing called the racer package. With that you get software to fully program your EEC. Like if you want to remove your rear 02 sensors. You can go into your software turn them off, program your Xcalibrator with the new program and you're off to your car. The racer package give you complete control of your EEC and SCT also has an online help 24/7. Once youjoin you get access to there forums, so you can ask for help and they usually response in under 24 hours. Also I'm sure if you bought it from Alberto he would even help you out some.
Thanks man, I went to their site, it says 96 and up (I got an 95).
If I ever get one for my car I want the racer package so I can program the car myself.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:40 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Nah your car is supported to. When you look for general mustang parts you have to think like you have a GT. In 96 the GTs went to a OBD II EEC platform, but Ford decided since they were going to keep the same engine and everything in 96 3.8, they decided to jumped the gun in 94 and placed the OBD II platform in the V6. So you can the racer package or whatever. it costs about $800 just so you know.

Old 12-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks again
:beer:
Old 12-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

np

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang