New Direction for my stang "Land Racing" - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #36
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r
which means ill prolly go as well
which means...

Nothing for me.

GL Corey.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I will my good friend. It would be great to have you there!!!
Gotta have someone there to smoke a cigar and drink 7&7 with while you're celebrating a V6 land speed record

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r
which means ill prolly go as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I'll go with you as well
Copycats
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
hey corey i was watching some hotrod show on tv and they had a rearend that allowed you to switch between 2 different gear sets on the fly, you might want to look into that.

you could take off on 3.73's and when those top out, switch to the lower 2.07's. still be perfectly fine around town, and when on the freeway you could do 100mph@1300rpm.

as for aerodynamics, possibly take a sheet of sheetmetal and wrap it around the front bumper and secure it, kinda make it look like a nascar front end or something. you want as little protrusions or holes as possible, and as smooth as possible to divert airflow over and to the sides.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
hey corey i was watching some hotrod show on tv and they had a rearend that allowed you to switch between 2 different gear sets on the fly, you might want to look into that.
I beleive they're called "Trans-Axels"
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #40
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:

you could take off on 3.73's and when those top out, switch to the lower 2.07's. still be perfectly fine around town, and when on the freeway you could do 100mph@1300rpm.
Yes I have looked into these and they are expensive. I am going the cheapest route there is. Now if I have some success at this I will search for sponsors. Most of the people involved do it on the cheap. World record holders have big budgets, most out there however build their stuff in the home garage.

Quote:
as for aerodynamics, possibly take a sheet of sheetmetal and wrap it around the front bumper and secure it, kinda make it look like a nascar front end or something. you want as little protrusions or holes as possible, and as smooth as possible to divert airflow over and to the sides.
I will be keeping the stock bumper but making plugs for all the holes and using some type of air dam yet to be decided.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via AIM to charkelly9
Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring
I don't know if everything is as difficult as people are making it out to be. I mean, 180 is definitely high but 150 should be no problem. I can get my speedo to 140 moderately easily and 160 with some work. When it's at 160 I'm probably going around 145-150 so with work you should have no problem hitting that speed. 180 would definitely be a challenge though, good luck with that and post pictures with every new mod!

i have a huge question.. i donno about you, but the last time i looked at my speedo. it only went up to 120.. i know a chip will reset the factory limits on my automatic v6.. but with a chip alone could you get up to 150 mph?
charkelly9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

With a chip you can remove any speed limiter like mine is !!!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkelly9
i have a huge question.. i donno about you, but the last time i looked at my speedo. it only went up to 120.. i know a chip will reset the factory limits on my automatic v6.. but with a chip alone could you get up to 150 mph?
no it just lets you push the car all the way to its limits and its limits come waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before 150 mph
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:54 AM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Currently with the 3.73 gears I have not gotten passed 135.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I need to pull a gps on mine...I know mine will get around 140 on stock gearing, I hit the peg, start bouncing a few times, and get off the gas then, haven't done that but once...and don't plan on doing it very many times.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

with the auto it'll take you a while to hit 140.

my car hit 130ish with the auto and that took a good amount of room to do it...the faster you go the longer/more power it takes to go even small amounts faster.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Going downhill tends to help alot. I can pass my 120 mark going uphill easily.
Our's:
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

so wait.. you guys have v6 engines with the stock 120mph gauge.. how do you know your traveling 135 or 140? can you get a chip to raise your speed then change your speedometer to the GT guage that goes up to 150?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:10 PM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

I use a gps to see exactly how fast I'm going over the speedo...
Our's:
Old 05-17-2005, 09:01 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Each time I ran for speed posting on the closed runway I had a 03 Cobra or a built GT staying even with me approx 50 ft away from me to gauge my speed so that is why I as approx spped 135. The only reason I did I give my car about 2000 feet to coast down before I use the brakes. I could easily hit 140 but I would have lower coast down time. Maybe I will bring my friend chad along he is light and would probably not hurt my top speed. I will also do it with a 1/8 of a tank of gas. I bet I can bust 140.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

but once again is it possible. to swap guages with the gt and have your speedo go up to 150? cause that would not only look good..but be functional in your case
Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
but once again is it possible. to swap guages with the gt and have your speedo go up to 150? cause that would not only look good..but be functional in your case
I might do it but for time trials all of the speed times are done by lasers and radar
Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to red herring
Quote:
Charkelly9, I didn't do this in a v6 mustang I did it in my I6 325. And I have a computer in my car that tells me precisely what I'm doing to the 1/10 of a mph as well as other things. However, my dads GT goes up to 150 on the speedo and with it's mods it probably has enough power to redline 5th, whatever speed that may be with the 3.73 diff..
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy

Corey, Waht are your design plans for your second axle to make it a "quick" disconnect?

The only things I can readily think of is Quick Disconnects for the brake lines.. but even that may require bleeding of the calipers.

I'll bet you if you and I were to swap out your axle, it wouldnt take more than an hour

Axle to body connection points on a 7.5" axle:
Brake lines
ABS lines (if applicable)
Drive shaft
2 Shocks (Only 2 bolts needed to drop the axle)
Springs (not really considered a connection point, but installing them is a must )
UCA's and LCA's

Anything else?

The only other thing I can see to save time is to use pins on the shocks... but safety may become an issue with that... and it may be worth it just to spend the 2 minutes to use a nut and bolt.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #55
Legacy Member
Legacy

Basically I am going to have 2 lift dolly's made. One for the removed dolly and one for the racing rearend. That way little heavy labor is required. I am still looking at quick disconnects that will allow disconnecting the brakes and not require bleeding

But yes unbolting and bolting the rearend is fairly quick any why
Old 05-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #56
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
also, something to think about, you may have to cut holes, or cut your rear bumper cover to make it shorter, im not sure about the stangs, but in many other cars, the rear bumper ends up holding air, giving a slight parachute effect

you may want to consider a more effective spoiler, or less effective spoiler, or removing it all together, then covering the holes with tape, same thing with the antenna

you may possibly want to make a grill insert, and allow it to be covered with tape, or remove the tape if needed for cooling, nascar style

also, bring rolls and rolls of duct tape, or "200mph tape"
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #57
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
also, at those speeds, you could effectivly use a ram air style intake
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have aerospace speed tape used on jet aircraft. It cost $150.00 a roll. I am going to be making plugs for all the front bumper holes out of High density foam cut to fit and coated with urethane rubber like bumper covers are made and painted laser red. The rear bumper will have a shield to prevent air being trapped in it. The antenna will just unscrew as will the removal of the wiper blades. I will leave the spoiler on unless I feel it is causing drag.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

so yes or no.. to the possiblity of me changing my guage cluster to a gt cluster and having a speedo that reaches 150.. red herring.. what all is involved and how much for the comp. you put in your car?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to red herring
My car came with the computer, all BMW's do. As for the gauge cluster I thought I read up on here that somebody had done it. If you do a search you should be able to find what you're looking for. If not, tell me and I'll try to find you everything you need.

Danger Dude: that tape is expensive as hell! I can't wait to hear the results from your first test. If anybody in California lives near me and would like to go to the dry lake beds (s22 or el mirage maybe?) we should set up a date and see what our cars can pull.
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:40 AM   #61
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring
My car came with the computer, all BMW's do. As for the gauge cluster I thought I read up on here that somebody had done it. If you do a search you should be able to find what you're looking for. If not, tell me and I'll try to find you everything you need.

Danger Dude: that tape is expensive as hell! I can't wait to hear the results from your first test. If anybody in California lives near me and would like to go to the dry lake beds (s22 or el mirage maybe?) we should set up a date and see what our cars can pull.
Rob (97Stallion) did the gauge swap and I know what is needed. If anyone wants to donate a GT gauge cluster I would be most appreciated
Old 05-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

i wanna do the swap too if its not impossible

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang