Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Clutch Feeling Sponge-like

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SaleenFiend 
#1 ·
Last night on my way back from the grandparents', my clutch started getting easier and easier to push all the way in, so I started freaking out. I called my dad (since this is the first manual transmission I've owned) and asked him what to do. I filled the resivior back up with dot3 brake fluid, and it's still feeling spongy. Could this mean my clutch is going out? If so, since it started last night, how long do I have before it's completely shot?

#2 · (Edited)
What kind of vehicle are you driving?

If you had to add fluid then I would imagine it is possible you have air in the hydraulic system. Depending on the vehicle I am sure there is a way to bleed the system (similar to the way you bleed the brake system).

Also check for any leaks withing the hydraulic system.

#3 ·
Air in the line is a good starting point check your clutch cable,you can can try manually adjusting the clutch by lifting the clutch pedal with your foot (the car will be off when you do this). Put the front of the foot under the clutch pedal and pull up and towards you. If you hear a click that means that your clutch was out of adjustment

#5 ·
if it went out that quick and you had to add fluid i would say master or slave cyclinder leaking

#6 ·
you dont transmission fluid on a manual mustang via a holding tank it doesn't have one, the only thing you might have done is put more brake fluid in it. Mustangs (until 05+) do not have hydrolic clutches its cable driven.

Your clutch cable may be going out~

#10 ·
ummm... as I said above there are no hydrolic stuff on the clutch for pre 05 mustangs, no way it can be air in a line as there is no line to have air in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.