Auto transmission problems. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Auto transmission problems.

ok, my 1996 v6 mustang was experiencing some difficulties with the gear box. it all started like this:
i was driving up a big hill, when i reached a traffic light i noticed white smoke coming from the sides of the car (the wheel arches). i popped the hood to find the smoke steaming from the passenger side of the engine compartment where the exhaust headers are and red gear oil was spilling on the ground from the cat converter or around it (didnt see very well).. in any case i drove home and the gear box died on the way. i think it did..
i have one guess only to what could have happend: i have a trans oil cooler. the lines of oil leading to the radiator could have rusted or just brake off somewhere.. what else could lead to what i described?
6opka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Auto transmission problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6opka View Post
ok, my 1996 v6 mustang was experiencing some difficulties with the gear box. it all started like this:
i was driving up a big hill, when i reached a traffic light i noticed white smoke coming from the sides of the car (the wheel arches). i popped the hood to find the smoke steaming from the passenger side of the engine compartment where the exhaust headers are and red gear oil was spilling on the ground from the cat converter or around it (didnt see very well).. in any case i drove home and the gear box died on the way. i think it did..
i have one guess only to what could have happend: i have a trans oil cooler. the lines of oil leading to the radiator could have rusted or just brake off somewhere.. what else could lead to what i described?
Yes, sounds like you have a busted transmission cooler line. You need to get under the vehicle and check where the leak is coming from. The white smoke (as you said) is coming from the fluid hitting the exhaust. Your probably out of fluid which doesn't let the transmission pressure up. You should be able to put it into any gear on the selector but it won't do anything right? Top off the fluid and fix the leak. If the transmission continues to work that solved all of your problems, but depending on how low the fluid got it may have blew the trans. If you need help looking for one I'm sure you could use

SVTPerformance.com or even PM me, Darkshadows, or iamdat (on this website) to get help pricing a new transmission or cooler lines.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hope i didnt blew it, i did ride with low oil.
6opka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

must have been the drifting!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Do you have any other word on what happened? New Symptoms?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang