got springs, now what? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to sp33d
got springs, now what?

ok, i got my springs. maxspeed w/ a 2'' drop...

... my question for you guys: what else do i need?
over at v6power ive heard you need cc plates. do i really need aftermarket cc plates or would it just be *better* to have? also, ive heard people say i need new shocks and struts. do i?

is there anything else i might need?

i dont wanna install the springs myself cause i work 6 days out of the week, and i just dont trust myself, plus i dont even have jack stands or ramps yet... so where should i get them installed? would i need to goto a custom car shop or does like autozone or someone like that install aftermarket springs?

thanks guys
sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2003, 03:40 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
anything over 1.5 drop is going to reqiure C&C plates period. You dont have to get new shocks but I would suggest you get them to improve handling. You would not spend 1000 on rims and then put old worn out tire on them would you
Old 07-30-2003, 07:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to slow232 Send a message via Yahoo to slow232
Yes with that kinda drop you will need cc plates,It wouldn't be a bad idea to get Shocks and struts.Also if you dont have the tools to install them yourself well then your going to throw away 200 bucks for instalation.I say you go out and buy some tools if your gunna continue to mod your car.

Not to sound like a #### but why would you buy some POS springs? ever hear of spring sag? well i gurrante your going to get to know spring sag rarther quick.
slow232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2003, 11:07 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I hate to say this, but I will anyway, I had 2" drop Jamex springs on my 94 Vert, I had to end up buying Steeda rear springs for it, and then I put two sets of Kenny Brown spring spacers under the front springs, it was still sort of low in the front. Yes, you are going to need C/C plates, I have Steeda Sport front springs now, and I still plan to get them eventually. Btw, that is 1.25 in drop, I am now using the old Jamex rear springs on my GT with 7/8" Global West spring perch spacers on my aftermarket control arms to keep them from being so low. I may yet get Steeda rear springs because the things are sort of low and kind of stiff with those spacers under them too. You should have gone with a Ford spring or a name brand aftermarket really.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
you can always install two springs on a day and do the other two later on.

get spring isolators, about 20 bucks for rear and 20 for the front ones.
otherwise you'll get squeeking and it'll annoy you to no end.

why a 2" drop, going for slammed look?
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have never done a rear spring install, mainly because I had those installed the same time as control arms, which I didnt' think I wanted to try in the back yard. So I just let them do the rear springs while they were at it, front springs aren't so bad.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:15 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

I tell ya what, if your springs are anything like the Jamex were on my 94, you will be in for some treats, lol. Nothing like dragging the bottom of your car on the pavement at 60mph when you hit a dip in the road. I wore out that rubber pinion snubber it rubbed so much. And this is one that came with the springs...
Old 07-31-2003, 12:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

rick,

would cutting the stock bumpstop down some work as well? isn't the stock one fatter and longer, so that it would have more surface area than the aftermarket one?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:28 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

It probably would, yeah. I don't think we did anything with the pinion scrubber on the GT at all, and I have never heard it rubbing like the one on the V6 did, but then its got those 7/8" spacers under the Jamex rear springs now too, lol. That rear end is so stiff I can't even make it go down at all hardly, and I weigh in at about 250.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
It probably would, yeah. I don't think we did anything with the pinion scrubber on the GT at all, and I have never heard it rubbing like the one on the V6 did, but then its got those 7/8" spacers under the Jamex rear springs now too, lol. That rear end is so stiff I can't even make it go down at all hardly, and I weigh in at about 250.
spacers = isolators or something?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to sp33d
i got the 2'' drop cause i wanted to get rid of wheel gap. as for maxspeed, i know people that have used their products in the past and havent heard any problems. theres also a guy over at mustangworld with the springs and i asked him about them, and he said basically the car isnt as comfortible, but handling is way better, and i really like the way the car sits with a 2''. i guess its just preference... but then again i cant really speed down the highway anymore, and i'll probly be backing into my driveway from now on...

as for cc plates, what kinda works best? where should i get them?
sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you can have a shot set it so you wont need CC plates they can alter the stock parts so you can adjust them how ever you want wiht out need of new cc plates. with a 2 inch drop you definatly will need more than stock adjustmetn will allow.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i don't know if anyone has said shorter endlinks, but you need them they'll help a lot.

www.maximummotorsports.com

go to their online store and find the endlinks for "1.5+" drop mustangs"

15 bucks or so. it lowers the front sway bar parallel to the ground so as to provide better handling.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I have not found the end links coudl ypu post a better link?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to slow232 Send a message via Yahoo to slow232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I have not found the end links coudl ypu post a better link?
Get your head out of your ***.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/urethane_front.asp
slow232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:44 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

No, spacers don't equal anything but spacers, what I have are spring perch spacers from Global West http://www.globalwest.net/mustang%2079-98.htm#Rear%20spring%20perch%20spacers Check them out there. They were designed to compensate for one spring that has sagged, but can also be used to raise springs that are too low which is what I did with the 2" drop Jamex rear springs I have on the GT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang