Exhaust leak to bigger problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Exhaust leak to bigger problem?

Okay so I've had a exhaust leak from either a blown gasket or a cracked manifold and for the longest time all it has done is made that annoying ticking sound of escaping exhaust fumes. BUT now my car is sputtering, not bad, but its gotten even more annoying and I would hate to have to pay a mechanic an 80 dollar diagnostic fee if all it is is the exhaust leak. Any ideas what it could be?
mrjones3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Exhaust leak to bigger problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones3133 View Post
Okay so I've had a exhaust leak from either a blown gasket or a cracked manifold and for the longest time all it has done is made that annoying ticking sound of escaping exhaust fumes. BUT now my car is sputtering, not bad, but its gotten even more annoying and I would hate to have to pay a mechanic an 80 dollar diagnostic fee if all it is is the exhaust leak. Any ideas what it could be?
The car is sputtering as in making a sputtering noise, or actually hesitating sputtering?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ok, what kinda of vehicle are we talking? the later model v6 mustangs have a terrible problem cracking exhaust manifolds. usually, its the passenger side (i dont know why)
just a theory but its possible if the crack got big enough, the o2 sensor reading would be off by a great deal. outside air being monitored by 02 i mean.
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

in short, i would fix the leak first then go from there.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Its an 01 and it is actually hesitating sputtering. Will the o2 sensor automatically correct if i repair the leak.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

you'll have to clear the code and see from there. cracked manifolds are a common problem on them. im fixing one right now, also an 01'
Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You're going to have to elaborate on "clear the code"
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

disconnect the battery, and let it sit for 5-10 mins. That will get rid of the check engine light and then you can see if it comes back on.

Get the car in the air, start it, and find the leak... If it's that noticeable... it won't be hard.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
disconnect the battery, and let it sit for 5-10 mins. That will get rid of the check engine light and then you can see if it comes back on.

Get the car in the air, start it, and find the leak... If it's that noticeable... it won't be hard.
YEP
Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Both of my stock headers cracked on my 2002 V6 when I had them swapped for some MAC shorties. (I had about 102K) on the clock when we did it). Not only is my car now tick free and also have a great sound, but I also gained about 10-20 miles per tank of gas. Didn't do anything else except swap out the headers and boom theres a couple bucks back in pocket every time I fill up. More of a piece of mind mod if you ask me as it didn't really gain any sig HP gains, but Its better set up for any future mods now with a higher quality product.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdat View Post
you'll have to clear the code and see from there. cracked manifolds are a common problem on them. im fixing one right now, also an 01'
my problem was indeed NOT the manifold being cracked but the exhaust pipe at the converter itself had broken clean apart. i re-welded the exhaust. a new converter only comes as a set from the dealer and costs 1900!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdat View Post
my problem was indeed NOT the manifold being cracked but the exhaust pipe at the converter itself had broken clean apart. i re-welded the exhaust. a new converter only comes as a set from the dealer and costs 1900!
Why not just swap that out the stock Y-pipe and get a H/X-pipe with some high flows for a fraction of the price?

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
Why not just swap that out the stock Y-pipe and get a H/X-pipe with some high flows for a fraction of the price?
this is for a buddy of mine and he has absolutely no want/need to try and speed his sixxer up. im gonna weld it up, fix the real culprit (engine mounts), and let er rip
Old 04-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Oh true, yea I'm not sure I know anyone that would pay for a $1900 stock Y-pipe.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 04-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
Oh true, yea I'm not sure I know anyone that would pay for a $1900 stock Y-pipe.
yea true, its rediculous. i sure in the hell wouldnt pay that for the converter.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I went over steep incline followed by a steep decline and popped my header right off of the rest of the exhaust piping. My dad called Ford and they wanted the same price!!!!!!!! because I have a busted CAT also due to lowering. And they wanted $2500 to fix the broken header and to put a new CAT on. So i told my parents to forget that and i will go up to the local exhaust shop and fix the header for like $200.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA View Post
I went over steep incline followed by a steep decline and popped my header right off of the rest of the exhaust piping. My dad called Ford and they wanted the same price!!!!!!!! because I have a busted CAT also due to lowering. And they wanted $2500 to fix the broken header and to put a new CAT on. So i told my parents to forget that and i will go up to the local exhaust shop and fix the header for like $200.
you could get long tube headers, mid-pipe and "cat-back" for ~$1000.... you would be retarded to pay that to replace stock exhaust.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I am not going to get LT headers if i already have scrapping problems considering they drop .5 inch more than stock exhaust. That is suicide for my exhaust and it would be a matter of time before i meet a speed bump to tear it off due to my lowering springs.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust