CAI help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
CAI help

Now i know most ppl suggest getting the 75$ intake from american muscle, but what makes the more expensive ones any better besides name brand?
Jay Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: CAI help

well some are quality and some sadly to say u are just paying for the name! i bought a mac cold air intake for $160! it looks great and between shifts in each gear its makes this bad *** whistle sound that makes it sound turboish! i have greatly enjoyed it and fill i got my moneys worth! Now u can get cheap ones off ebay but your takin a chance! goodluck man!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks dude, i've seen some cheap ones on there but if i'm gonna put it in my car... ill prolly just get one on AM.
how much hp boost are we talking? i've read about them and they say you can feel the boost.. is it the same with the cheap ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

in all honesty if u have other mods than u want feel it but if its your first u might feel it a lil bit! a cai is one of the mods u would normally bolt on first!i would go with the mac cold air if u can afford it! im telling u that lil whistle is an attention grabber! when ppl ride in my car there like..."do u have a supercharger or turbo or something lol" NOT cause of the power but because of that lil whistle noise! between gears it sound like a turbo spool or something! but im telling u stay AWAY from cheap intakes from no name companys! get something u know will fit!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 04-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

alright sounds good!
yeah the attention grabber is what i'm going for.. i don't have a lot of money to put into serious mods, so i figured i'd get an intake and some exhaust. make it sound better anyway ;p
Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

aight now with the exhaust when u get ready to do it go with FLOWMASTERS! NOT magnaflows! on a v6 they sound like a honda civic! flowmasters sound alot deeper! and if u wanna make it sound similiar to a gt get the MAC off road H pipe with it! it will sound like a gt when it idles! at high rpms though youll here that v6 come out a little bit LOL! how much u looking to put into this?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

how much do flowmasters run? what i've seen of them has been expensive.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

for the parts and getting them installed was $350 total! make sure that where ever u get it done at uses FLOWMASTER! dont let them put some BS thunderbolt or no name crap on ur car! it will sound like a giant fart lol! the H pipe was like$100! now u can get that off ebay for a good price! then it will be $50-$150 GETTING IT INSTALLED! the tricky part is finding someone to do it! when u get the off road h pipe installed u will be takin off ur catalic converters! this is illegal lol! so some shops want do it! but trust me u will find someone who will! they will try to charge u more do to the risk there taking! its supposly like some $10,000 fine if they get caught or some crap but everybody i know has taken theres off!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

cold air intake for a v6 will gain a little bit of horsepower if any at all. For exhaust u can get flowmaster cat backs if you get an h pipe i think you'll have to get some gt take off's from what i hear. And don't worry about headers your exhuast manifolds are fine.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i second that! i still run my exhaust system off stock manifolds! the h pipe will fit without GT parts! now if u want to give it that little extra deepness u can get the 2.5 tips from a GT! thats what i did and it makes it sound pretty good! all in all youll spend maybe $600 on the whole exhaust w/labor! u can do it lil at a time! like get ur flowmasters with dual first! then go back and do the h pipe! but if u have the money it would be cooler to do it all at once and u might save a lil on labor! go to youtube and type "v6 mustang exhuast"! you can preveiw what ur mustang will sound like eventually!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

alright thanks guys, that helped a lot. i ordered the cai off AM that you told me about.. should be here in a few days, i don't have all the money at the moment for the exhaust, but that's my next step.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its a pipe, you pay for the quality of the pipe~ and fitment~ it wont work any better overall
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #13

Region: Pennsylvania

I am a newbie and have question re Cold air intake and tuner. I have a 2009 mustang gt and i am putting a steeda CAI and srt tuner. My question is when i take it to the dealer i reset tune back to factory but what about the cold air intake? do i have to remove it and put the stock airfilter back in as well? If I leave the CAI in and just tune back to stock will the CAI mess up my engine? Please help! Thank you very much!!
VaporGT09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Now i'm not certain, but i've read a few places that you don't need a tune for the cai. you can run it without, but won't get the full effect without one. but someone else can probably confirm/contest this
Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

alright so my new CAI has a gromet for the intake air temperature sensor but my mustang doesn't even have one. the spot in the video on americanmuscle on my stock intake doesn't have a hole there even.
what should i do? i thought about just plugging it up with a bolt, any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

some dealers are ok with an intake, and if you dont tell them about the tune they wont know~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm extremely satisfied haha.
Love the whistle noise.
Now I'm pumped about making under my hood look good, suggestions for that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00367.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	20588  
Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dawg View Post
alright so my new CAI has a gromet for the intake air temperature sensor but my mustang doesn't even have one. the spot in the video on americanmuscle on my stock intake doesn't have a hole there even.
what should i do? i thought about just plugging it up with a bolt, any suggestions?
if your talking about that little hole with the rubber around it i had that on my v6 i plugged it with a bolt and it worked fine just make sure the bolt is snug
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dawg View Post
I'm extremely satisfied haha.
Love the whistle noise.
Now I'm pumped about making under my hood look good, suggestions for that?
american muscle has alot of dress up stuff most are caps for brake fluid a raidator cap **** like that you can get some valve covers or a chrome strut tower brace would look good
Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah there's another post somewhere way back that i came across with the same problem, i just got a bolt and plugged it up real good
Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

thats all you need
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
for the parts and getting them installed was $350 total! make sure that where ever u get it done at uses FLOWMASTER! dont let them put some BS thunderbolt or no name crap on ur car! it will sound like a giant fart lol! the H pipe was like$100! now u can get that off ebay for a good price! then it will be $50-$150 GETTING IT INSTALLED! the tricky part is finding someone to do it! when u get the off road h pipe installed u will be takin off ur catalic converters! this is illegal lol! so some shops want do it! but trust me u will find someone who will! they will try to charge u more do to the risk there taking! its supposly like some $10,000 fine if they get caught or some crap but everybody i know has taken theres off!

I have friends that own a welding shop, would it be possible to splice in some high flow catalytic converters?
or would it be better to just go with a kit if i want to keep it legal.
my car is kinda hot around here and the cops just look for something to nag me for...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai