Mustang Evolution Forum banner

sound of flowmaster 40 on v6?

15K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  lowflyn 
#1 ·
anyone have a clip of, or have an idea of what flowmaster 40's sound like on a v6? i've had some camaro buddies tell me to stay away from them.

#2 ·
They sound ricey IMO..it's hard to get a real good sounding muffler on a V6. I'm very happy with my takeoff's however.

#3 ·
its not a horrid sound, its an ok sound until 3k rpms then it gets ricy sounding but not horrid.... just about any aftermarket mufflers will sound the same on the v6.... at least all the ones i have heard and spintech seem to sound worse than flowmasters also. i would go with an oem gt take off exhaust and then you can change the mufflers out if you choose later on, this way you can give it a shot first and see if you like it.

#4 ·
The reason I like my takeoff's so much is because I don't get a drone while at highway speed. And it really isn't loud...just sounds good when I get on it, esp around 2500-3000

#7 ·
perhaps i will just get a take-off and have the shop weld it on up and fab some hangars.

or i could just go mufferless. would that sound horrid with just cats and straight pipes?

or how much should it reasonably cost to have a GT welded up in place of the y-pipe? cuz i got quoted like $300 somewhere.

#8 ·
i have take offs but i heard the borla y kit and i was pretty impressed sounded nice. oh i put some cutouts on too sounds good till 3500 then i feel like im in my mgb with a glass packlol.... take offs or if your going just muffler borla is expensive but i think there the best... everyone has there preference though

#9 ·
lowflyn said:
The reason I like my takeoff's so much is because I don't get a drone while at highway speed. And it really isn't loud...just sounds good when I get on it, esp around 2500-3000
yea, Brad's mach 1 takeoffs sound really good, being not too loud and no rice.... I am soon to have a local muffler shop put on some "mellowtones" which are supposed to be like flowmaster but sounding much better for a v6, and a little quieter

#11 ·
Takeoffs are the way to go. then if you want something else muffler wise, you can just swap them out. I've got takeoffs, and I'm going to leave them with the factory GT mufflers. I don't htink there's much if any HP to be gained by swapping them out, and I like the tone. They're quiet at idle, but they sound really aggressive at WOT, and not ricey like some of the aftermarket stuff does. And they ARE all stainless. I'd have to say it's the smart way to go.

#14 ·
My whole exhaust set up cost me 240 bucks...and that included a 40 dollar tip for my muffler guy cuz he did my exhaust about 9 at night lol

#16 ·
stangin99 said:
I like my flowmaster 40 series...
Ditto man, I have dumps with 40 series and just kept my cats on, actually dosent sound to bad, I think it sounds pretty aggressive when I step on it and I hit about 3500-4000 rpms. If I get my camera fixed ill record the sound of my exhaust for you. :cool:

#20 ·
my flowmasters dont drone you *****'s dont know drone till you ride in a hoged out 5.0 with no cats and flowmasters with dumps.... lol

#23 ·
tedness said:
thnx main, those clips helped a lot.
remember your car wont sound exactly like that because he has HCI and that makes a BIG difference I'll try to get some vid's of my exhaust.

#26 ·
Get yourself a pair of turbo type generic mufflers, they sound very good on a V6 and and cost like less than half what flows do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.