General Maintenance - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:35 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to red herring
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Only thing I've ever had fall on me was a wrench from the top of the engine bay to the bottom where I was lol
Ouch, I've had that happen, plus when you get hurt and you're already frustrated it just pisses you off 10 thousand times more, haha
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
I've heard that if you dont change your tranny fluid at 30k intervals its less harmful to not change it at all
that is a little off, people say that because of the detergents that atf has, the new atf would clean all the build up on the trannys walls and clog some valves.
this does happen sometimes when the tranny is about to die. i have changed trannys fliud that never got changed in 120k and it ran great, never had a complain from that lady.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
no that is a old myth. The fact is if you never change it and the cluthes are burned up and worn you might notice the tranny slipping more if you change it. but this is only true on tranny's on there last leg!!!!
some times though it does happen if there is alot of varnish build up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
some times though it does happen if there is alot of varnish build up.
Like I said it the tranny is ready for a rebuild then you run into problems. If the tramnny is in good condition changing fluid will never cause a problem

Period end of statement

NO MORE MYTHS!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said it the tranny is ready for a rebuild then you run into problems. If the tramnny is in good condition changing fluid will never cause a problem

Period end of statement

NO MORE MYTHS!!!
yeah i know, but i was just saying that thats the reason why that mostly happens (the tranny messing up after the oil change), dude once there is varnish the tranny really is in need of a rebuild, it means some **** got burned.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill
0.052 I think.
And I got bored and went and looked under my hood, it's .052 to .056. Gonna change plugs out tom morning after class
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 AM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
wixx filters > motorcraft > fram
Old 01-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy

Motorcraft= Fram= just about any name brand oil filter. The fact is when you get past the hype all oil filters are layers of paper and perfoated metal in a metal can. There is no magic power increasing properties or some mystical magnetic field that one collects more than the other. I trust Fram and Motorcraft. But I have cut open Bosch, Purolater, Penske, Delco, STP, Mobil. and just about every major filter over the course of 20+ years and have found them all to be about the same. You can spend $2.95 all the way to $13.00 but spending $13.00 on a filter you are going to throw away in a few monts is just plain insane. Hell if you change the as recommended you will never run into problem with any of them.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Got a quick question..is this the sensor I am supposed to be cleaning and how do I clean it exactly...
Our's:
Old 01-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy

Here's a few pics of my plugs...the driver's side was pretty bad, wearwise, the passenger side didn't look bad at all...hm..anything wrong here?
Our's:
Old 01-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Got a quick question..is this the sensor I am supposed to be cleaning and how do I clean it exactly...
Do not touch it with anything just spray Non Residue Contact Cleaner in the MAF and sensor till it is clean. do not scrub or anything like that. No need to dry it Non residue contact cleaner will dry quickly
Old 01-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ha...too late on the cleaning part...I just put it all back together cuz I had to go pay some bills due today. I'll sit down some other day and do it. I did clean all the dirt out of my intake though...seems some passed through the filter, but it all clean now
Our's:
Old 01-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Motorcraft= Fram= just about any name brand oil filter. The fact is when you get past the hype all oil filters are layers of paper and perfoated metal in a metal can. There is no magic power increasing properties or some mystical magnetic field that one collects more than the other. I trust Fram and Motorcraft. But I have cut open Bosch, Purolater, Penske, Delco, STP, Mobil. and just about every major filter over the course of 20+ years and have found them all to be about the same. You can spend $2.95 all the way to $13.00 but spending $13.00 on a filter you are going to throw away in a few monts is just plain insane. Hell if you change the as recommended you will never run into problem with any of them.

not true. There's a test online someone did over all the different brands of oil filters. There was several distinct differences between the brands and the amount of crap they filtered and/or deposited into the oil because of their design.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #49
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
not true. There's a test online someone did over all the different brands of oil filters. There was several distinct differences between the brands and the amount of crap they filtered and/or deposited into the oil because of their design.

No it is true Dont be fooled by adds and manufactures claim. The fact is whether you want to believe it or not. You take care of your car change the oil as recommended and replace the filter with any of the name brand filters and there is no real world differences in the level of protection your car receives. It is not like people pour dirt in with there oil. No matter what hype about a certain product all filters have paper filters sandwiched between perforated metal. If a filter will filter out minute particles that is all it has to do.

So in a nutshell you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG and that is based on 20 plus years of car build and as a member of ASE, ASQ and a Certified SAE and Jet engine mechanic seen and read all the studies on oil filters and protection. I was the lead engineer on a study of oil protection and oil sampling on Trucks and equipment used where I work. I am also a Mil-Spec certified SOAP (Spectrometric Oil Analysis Procedure) Tester !!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I dont care what your self-proclaimed accomplishments are. You can continue to push off what you think is correct on this site but I hope that not many people will listen. I'm happy that you think your the end all when it comes to cars.

I saw the results, they were not sponsored by any oil or filter company. So you can take your 20+ years of being a mechanic and go elsewhere because I'm not listening.

Go buy fram and get bits of ****ty paper filter in your oil. Have fun.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 01-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

for those of you who have not seen the test..

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 01-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I dont care what your self-proclaimed accomplishments are. You can continue to push off what you think is correct on this site but I hope that not many people will listen. I'm happy that you think your the end all when it comes to cars.

I saw the results, they were not sponsored by any oil or filter company. So you can take your 20+ years of being a mechanic and go elsewhere because I'm not listening.

Dude you are way out of line. Do you think I would use a filer if I was to get paper in my oil. Come on!!!

You want to make some person remark to me you do it on PM's this is a maintenance forum and not some personal attack forum. So I will not make any personal attacks as to your abilities or self proclaimed knowledge.

As for fact I tested oil and fuel for 3 years as a job and my own opinion and my own 2 eyes saw no real world difference between major filter brands.We did not test no noame brands or store brands. So all I have to say is While you have seen or read results I have tested and published results

OH and if you dont want to listen go right ahead. No one is forcing you to read my post or be here for that matter
Old 01-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #53
Legacy Member
Legacy

I read the article and it says nothing about paper getting into the oil.!!!

I dont mind a debate over oil filters but your personal attack on me and my knowledge was uncalled for and unappreciated. I have never made a claim to know everything but when you attack me is a field in which I actually worked in is rather funny.

So I will only make this warning once. If you cannot act like a adult and debate at the same time, do not debate. You can enjoy this forum with the rest of the membership and be decent to people or you wont enjoy it at all
Old 01-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #54
Regular

Quote:

Been using fram since I got my first car 3 years ago.

Never had a problem with it, changed my own oil up until I lowered my car, never found anything out of the ordinary in the oil.

Talk to a friend who owns a oil change shop around here and he has never heard of this and never seen anything like it and he changes oil everyday.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wendyc Send a message via Yahoo to wendyc
Quote:

I dont mind a debate over oil filters but your personal attack on me and my knowledge was uncalled for and unappreciated. I have never made a claim to know everything but when you attack me is a field in which I actually worked in is rather funny.

So I will only make this warning once. If you cannot act like a adult and debate at the same time, do not debate. You can enjoy this forum with the rest of the membership and be decent to people or you wont enjoy it at all

No offense but I think it is your approach. "So in a nutshell you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG ". Sure seemed like your arrogance jumped down my throat yesterday too. Maybe just try to cool off.

FullThrottleFords.com
wendyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #56
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyc
No offense but I think it is your approach. "So in a nutshell you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG ". Sure seemed like your arrogance jumped down my throat yesterday too. Maybe just try to cool off.
Yes I did say that and maybe it was over the top. But arrogant I am not. I do listen to people's opinions and have learned quite a lot from people on this forum and elsewhere. But at no time did I attack him personally. Also I did not jump down your throat yesterday. I said bull to the information that you said you got from others I also appologized for wording it that way. A arrogant person would not appologize. I respect opinions of everyone. But when they are misinformed or post false information and it in a tech area I will debate on facts and dispell myths and false statements.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wendyc Send a message via Yahoo to wendyc
There isn't always a black and white answer. IMO. However, you seem to find someone else's opinion 'misinformation' or 'false information' when it might actually carry some weight. There isn't always one conclusive answer. But what do I know....

I will consider you the end all/be all knowledge of this forum and never ever question your statements or make any additions. Therefore... Once you have posted, there is no need for anyone else to post. You said it, therefore it is! Cool.

FullThrottleFords.com
wendyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #58
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyc
There isn't always a black and white answer. IMO. However, you seem to find someone else's opinion 'misinformation' or 'false information' when it might actually carry some weight. There isn't always one conclusive answer. But what do I know....

I will consider you the end all/be all knowledge of this forum and never ever question your statements or make any additions. Therefore... Once you have posted, there is no need for anyone else to post. You said it, therefore it is! Cool.
There you go again. This is uncalled for. You were not even in this post so dont come in here call me a know it all and actually create a bad environment.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #59
Regular

I happen to disagree with stangin99 just like Corey

I think Corey is write on this....

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #60
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't quite understand why this thread was closed...I'm guessing because of the personal attacks...all I wanted to know was some general maintenance information..not to see a huge mount of personal attacks..please just answer the questions next time and not debate stuff..thanks
Brad
Our's:
Old 01-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #61
Legacy Member
Legacy

I am sorry Brad but it was the personal attacks that caused the post to be closed. I have reopened it and will see if people behave.

On the plugs when I click on the the pics get blurred but from what I can tell they look OK. If the Plug does not have white overheat marks or heavily dirty and the electrode looks fine they are OK but with the cheap price of Motorcraft or Autolite plugs just toss them especially if they have been in the car for a long while.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #62
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeh i understood why it was closed, that's why i posted and closed it once again. The pics were really bad and i'm about to pull them off. New plugs are in, I'm happy, car's happy, and originals are going in the trash lol.
Our's:
Old 01-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #63
Legacy Member
Legacy

Cool again I a sorry your post went off track!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
i read a huge independent study over all oil filters and motorcraft for the money is just about as good as you can get with the top performers being mobile 1 i belive, either way just run motorcraft.

Also they make screens you can get to put in front of the filter before it goes on to catch stuff its very neat and a good idea.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

my bad teflon..not paper...even worse as it wont break up.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 01-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

And as for the ''personal attack" it's not personal but more about something I've noticed more than once.

I'm not trying to insult you corey, but you seem to always feel the need to mention how you are/were a mechanic and specialized in just about everything automotive.

It's nice to know that you are but you don't have to mention it every other technical post. Other people know just as much in certain aspects of cars and don't feel the need to prove it to the world.

It's not an insult, so if you feel the need to ban or warn me again go right ahead. Amazing how one incident can get someone banned but helpin people with questions about their cars means squat.

Take that how you wish. I'm done with this thread.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 01-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #67
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Nobody but you even mentioned banning. Corey at one point said nobody is keeping you here and he is right. Then again, nobody is making you stay away either.

I dunno what is wrong w/ everybody, you've seemed cool as far as we've been around the site, at least it seemed to me. Corey is probably proud of his accomplishments, and I would be too if I were him. He doesn't nearly mention it every other post either.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And as for the ''personal attack" it's not personal but more about something I've noticed more than once.

I'm not trying to insult you corey, but you seem to always feel the need to mention how you are/were a mechanic and specialized in just about everything automotive.

It's nice to know that you are but you don't have to mention it every other technical post. Other people know just as much in certain aspects of cars and don't feel the need to prove it to the world.

It's not an insult, so if you feel the need to ban or warn me again go right ahead. Amazing how one incident can get someone banned but helpin people with questions about their cars means squat.

Take that how you wish. I'm done with this thread.
i doubt anybody wanted to ban you, and about corey saying that he is a pro, dude have you seen how many certifications the guy has? im guessing he just puts that in because if people want to challenge his statements then theye better be sure to battle him with expirience and not some stuff you read on the net.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:39 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdude
I am a Aerospace Quailty Engineer, ASE Certified Mechanic, Lic Aircraft Mechanic, a member of SAE Society of Automotive Engineers and ASQ American Society of Quality Engineers. I attended Auburn University, Alabama Avaition and Tech College, University of Alabama Birmingham and James Madison University. I have 23 years in the Automotive Field building race engines for Cars, Boats and Motorcycles. I am a Volvo Master Mechanic for there marine racing and automotive engines. I am a Certified Pratt-Whitney and Allison jet engine mechanic as well as a Aerospace Quality Engineer for the largest Defense Company in the world
thats alot of stuff
Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #70
Legacy Member
Legacy

Guys I have been around a while and when it comes to automotive, Motorcycles, Boats and Aircraft I have done quite a bit. But I dont know everything. Through the years I did one thing to gain the knowledge. I Listened to the pro's, I read their books, I went to classes, I then got involved with racing and engine building I met the master mechanics and worked with them sometimes free. I would go to the shop and just help and learn. Then I got involved with ASE and ASQ when I was going working towards my engineering degree all the while learning and building engines for others. I started building engines for friends race cars, trucks and boats. I got into motorcycles for a couple of years but really stayed with cars and boats. This was going on while I was working on F-111's in the Airforce. Then for a while I went to work on learning everything I could about building Jet engines and working on Military and Commerical Aircraft. While working in the inspection dept where I work now I finished my Aerospace Quailty Engineering

Oil reasearch was my job for 3 years where I ran test on oil and fuel which to me on a i year study on oil types and filters for use in company vehicles. Where I work has some 130 company vehicles and equipment requiring scheduled maintenance. We tested every major oil and filter. I personally ran 3 test. One Soap testing where we burned samples of oil to see what metals were in the oil to see what might be breaking down in the engine. The next was a Oil vacuum test to see what impurities and chemicals were in the oil. The third was to cut the filter in half to see what the fliter elements collected and what passed thru. What was the final analysis

1. Every major Synthetic beat reqular oil hands down
2. There were very little difference in the major brand synthetic oil performances when changed every 7000 miles
3. There was a vast difference in regular oils performance when waiting to change every 4500 miles.
4. When changed at scheduled periods 4500 regular 7000 synthetic oil every major brand filter we tested met industry standard and none came apart. We had some defects which were discarded and replace. The were slight difference but nothing that clearly made one outshine the other and cost was not a determining factor. I will say when doing these test we used the standard filter for each type of car that was specified by the filter makers. No extra guard, superduty, gold, extra capacity filter was used.

Like I said I dont know everything but I am constantly learning and listening to everyone all the time.

In reality we keep learning till we die or we just get tom old to remember

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang