General Maintenance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
General Maintenance

Well..I wasn't real sure where to post this exactly, cuz it covers so many fields. But I need to do some maintenance to my car and need some help on how to do it all.
First off I need new spark plugs, I can do this part, so no problem.
Next, I need to change the fluid in my auto trans..any help with tips on how to do this would be helpful.
I probably need to flush out my rear end as well.
And I also need to flush out coolant.
These are the things I see that need to be done...car has 53xxx miles on it..any more maintenance things I need to do please post and tell me lol.
Thanks
Brad
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Oh yeh...and I need to turn my rotors while I'm at it...
Our's:
Old 01-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

And I finally broke down and bought the Gt foglights for my car...got sick of the cheap autozone specials that kept fogging up. I'm beginning to learn if it's cheap to begin with...it normally ends up more expensive in the end lol. That's why I only put in Mobil1 synthetic oil and the silver Fram oil filter and have a K&N air filter.
Our's:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

for one fram = junk.

buy motorcraft.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to 232stang01 Send a message via Yahoo to 232stang01
yah. fram is junk, go with the motorcraft next time.
232stang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wendyc Send a message via Yahoo to wendyc
I bought K&N this time just because I felt like spending a lot I guess. What is the one that is advertised my Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. from NAPA?

FullThrottleFords.com
wendyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
K&N are good filters you just have to every few months take the CAI loose and check for oil residue on the MAF. It is a small inconvenience for a quality filter.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
Well..I wasn't real sure where to post this exactly, cuz it covers so many fields. But I need to do some maintenance to my car and need some help on how to do it all.
First off I need new spark plugs, I can do this part, so no problem.
Next, I need to change the fluid in my auto trans..any help with tips on how to do this would be helpful.
I probably need to flush out my rear end as well.
And I also need to flush out coolant.
These are the things I see that need to be done...car has 53xxx miles on it..any more maintenance things I need to do please post and tell me lol.
Thanks
Brad
All those are fairly easy to do, but can get very messy. For the rear-end, you have to remove the back cover and drain it that way. After it's drained, remove the cover and clean the mating surfaces. Reseal the surfaces and put the cover back on. Now on the other side at the upper right(driver's side) of the pumpkin, is a little hole where you can fill up your rear-end. Make sure you use some friction modifier. The coolant is very easy. At the lower left (passenger's side) of the radiator is a valve called the petcock valve. Open it up and all your coolant will come out of the engine. Not all 100% will come out because of twist and bends in some of the coolant lines, but 99% of it will , so the little left over is minimal. After it stops draining. Close the valve and refill through the top of the radiator. I'm not sure about the tranny because I have a 5-speed, but when I had a Cheby, i had to drop my tranny's pan at an angle to let all the fluid drain into a bucket and then I could change the gasket and the tranny filter. I'm not so sure this is the same way. I'm sure some else could help.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
How hard is it to change the filter in a auto tranny?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
i never worked on an auto mustang but, the are all the same, im not sure if it has a drain plug so just take of the bolts from the front of the trans and let it drain at an angle then take off the rest of the bolts and the trans pan should fall right out. next clean the pan with a rag. then take off the filter, it might have bolts or it might be held on by and o ring so if it doesent have bolts on the filter just pop it out by pulling on it, replace teh filter, then the gasket u can use rtv if you like but i suggest cork gaskets. then install the pan good and tight. put in your favorite fluid (synthetic). and your done
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianMustang
How hard is it to change the filter in a auto tranny?
very easy look above.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
i never worked on an auto mustang but, the are all the same, im not sure if it has a drain plug so just take of the bolts from the front of the trans and let it drain at an angle then take off the rest of the bolts and the trans pan should fall right out. next clean the pan with a rag. then take off the filter, it might have bolts or it might be held on by and o ring so if it doesent have bolts on the filter just pop it out by pulling on it, replace teh filter, then the gasket u can use rtv if you like but i suggest cork gaskets. then install the pan good and tight. put in your favorite fluid (synthetic). and your done
I was hoping it was like this, thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

The biggest suck about it is sliding under the car to do it. If you know someone with a lift it sure is easier to do BY GOD!!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I recommend alot of upkeep... but its really just little stuff
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

oil change every 3k

clean air filter every 10k (k&N) or replace oem pos every 3k

change tranny fluid EVERY year with filter

change rear end fluid every 3 years

change power steering fluid every 3 years

change brake fluid every 3 years

rotate tire every 3k if they are huge and expensive lol else as you see fit i would say at least 9k

align your car as needed but get her checked every 12k~ or so at least if you are around alot of horrid roads maybe every 9k ( i go every 6k)

fuel filter every 10k

fuel injection cleaner every oil change

clean your maf after every K&N air filter re oiling (week after then again after a month cuz that crap gets on the wires and = loss in milage and rough idle, use on contact NO residue electronic parts cleaner)

check hoses every year

check belt every 6 months to a year

change your coolant EVERY year before winter! you would be amazed how much crap you get out of the system being partly aluminum!

keep your air pressure set correctly for your tires it = longer tire life and better gas milage.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dont forget to change your Power Steering fluid every 60,000 miles or ever 3-4 years. I change mine every 2 years but I live in a somewhat humid enviroment. if you live in a dry climate you might wait 4 years. Every years P/S fluid absorbs water fromthe atmosphere brake does it faster and should be changed every 3 years at the very least. In just a few years 20% of your brake fluid can be water. The more milky it is the more water. Power Steering fluid might get 10% water after a few years which contributes to PS whine and failure and in brakes a spongy feel or corrosion inside the brake calipers which locks them up and destroys the boot and seal.

So be sure to change all the fluids !!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Damnit..I have alot to do to my car...and as far as the little stuff, like rotating tires and oil and such...i always do that on a schedule I have setup for that. Need to get a schedule set up for the rest of it..O and BTW..is it easier to come in from the top or bottom on spark plugs. My car is sitting outside cooling off at the moment and I'm just making sure I can get to all the plugs from the top...
Our's:
Old 01-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea I need to change my ps fluid... its 3 years nearly or a tad over.... just a pita, how to you recommend changing it for the most ease, and also how do you go about filling it back up correctly and getting it back in running shape?

the number one killer of autos is not changing the tranny fluid and heat... so get a trans cooler, every 20 degrees will nearly double your trans life.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I don't give a F about the auto trans as long as it lasts for another 100k and the engine as well..then they're both going in the scrap pile lol
Our's:
Old 01-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

lol if you want 100k you had best take care of it....
Old 01-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm wanting 150k out of it..so yeh I know...just don't wanna spend the money on a tranny cooler...
Our's:
Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to red herring
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I'm wanting 150k out of it..so yeh I know...just don't wanna spend the money on a tranny cooler...
150k is not that much, my car has 150k right now. I was putting 1000 miles on my car a week for a while...it was harsh.

Alright, I'm on 56k right now so didn't load the first page, so if someone already said this, I apologize. Anyway, differential fluid smells absolutely terrible! My advice for when you're changing fluids is to buy some rubber gloves to keep the stuff (all fluids) from absorbing into your skin and making you smell and making you dirty. Secondly, I imagine you're already experienced enough to know this but if you're going to lift the car, learn how to do it, you'd be surprised how many people end up in trouble because they didn't lift the car correctly and it fell. I saw it happen to someone before. While you're already doing all this tune up type stuff you might as well check the belts and all other fluids/bleed the brakes while you're under the car.
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wendyc Send a message via Yahoo to wendyc
You totally forgot about changing the headlight fluid, sidemarker fluid, and the electrical grease! Newbs!

Someone needs to say it! HEHE JK...

FullThrottleFords.com
wendyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to red herring
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyc
You totally forgot about changing the headlight fluid, sidemarker fluid, and the electrical grease! Newbs!
Someone needs to say it! HEHE JK...
Yes make sure your cold fusion chamber is still functioning at maximum capacity and that your flux capacitor has yet to wear out. Make sure to recharge your carbeurator(sp?) and also that your turbines are clean otherwise you won't get good airflow
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #25

Region: Pennsylvania
I just changed my auto tranny fluid this past summer. Pretty simple but it IS a pain in the *** getting under the car to do it. You have to loosen the bolts on one side to let it drain. (you'll need a shallow pan) After it drains you just remove the pan, pull the old filter out and push the new one up in. The gasket is supposed to be reuseable. I used the old one since it still looked brand new.(btw it says right on the pan that it's a reuseable gasket) Clean the lip of the pan, put the gasket on, bolt it up and fill er with fluid. I'd recommend getting a Haynes repair manual ($15 at any autoparts store) if your unsure. They give pretty detailed instructions, plus ya got all the info to do pretty much anything else.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
yea I need to change my ps fluid... its 3 years nearly or a tad over.... just a pita, how to you recommend changing it for the most ease, and also how do you go about filling it back up correctly and getting it back in running shape?

the number one killer of autos is not changing the tranny fluid and heat... so get a trans cooler, every 20 degrees will nearly double your trans life.
I typically slide a shallow bucket under the front of the car and I have a 4 ft rubber hose I stick in the PS unit and I siphon it into the bucket. Then I add the new fluid in while I start the car.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill
I just changed my auto tranny fluid this past summer. Pretty simple but it IS a pain in the *** getting under the car to do it. You have to loosen the bolts on one side to let it drain. (you'll need a shallow pan) After it drains you just remove the pan, pull the old filter out and push the new one up in. The gasket is supposed to be reuseable. I used the old one since it still looked brand new.(btw it says right on the pan that it's a reuseable gasket) Clean the lip of the pan, put the gasket on, bolt it up and fill er with fluid. I'd recommend getting a Haynes repair manual ($15 at any autoparts store) if your unsure. They give pretty detailed instructions, plus ya got all the info to do pretty much anything else.
While you have the pan out you could tap it for a plug!!!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea there is also a bolt on the rack i thought you may could remove... a siphon sounds better just dont want to taste ps fluid lol.

99+ seem to get shutters in the auto tranny at idle if you dont keep the fluid changed, all years may do this.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
While you have the pan out you could tap it for a plug!!!!!
I was gonna do that but I said screw it! (maybe next time)
Old 01-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

I do alot of work on cars...just not on this car, so I was wondering if there were any tricks on how to do certain things. And yes I know how to safely lift my car...always use my trusty jack stands and etc etc lol. Only thing I've ever had fall on me was a wrench from the top of the engine bay to the bottom where I was lol
Our's:
Old 01-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quick question...what should the spark plugs on a V6 be set at? I'm too lazy to go look in my owner's manual..lol
Our's:
Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #32

0.052 I think.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ah crap...I guess I'll go look, just realized I don't have a gap measurer on this side of the state...
Our's:
Old 01-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've heard that if you dont change your tranny fluid at 30k intervals its less harmful to not change it at all

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor
I've heard that if you dont change your tranny fluid at 30k intervals its less harmful to not change it at all
no that is a old myth. The fact is if you never change it and the cluthes are burned up and worn you might notice the tranny slipping more if you change it. but this is only true on tranny's on there last leg!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang