The dreaded p0411 Error Code - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #1

MaxonMustang is unknown around these parts
Exclamation The dreaded p0411 Error Code

Hey guys total NooB here,

Check Engine Light Problem! Need Help! (2000 V-6 3.8L)

I've taken my car to multiple part suppliers (Autozone, Advanced...etc) and the only error code that their machine comes up with is the dreaded p0411 error message which translates to "Secondary Air Injection System Flow Improper".

I then ran the onboard Odometer switch activated diagnostics check and it came up with two DTC Error Messages:

DTC-9318 (Battery Voltage Low) I know, I know, I have needed a battery for awhile)
DTC-5284 (Oil Pressure Switch failure)

Worst of all, the check engine light came on the day after I bought the car used (Or 150 miles after I tripped the comp to hit the light---dirtbags)

What I really need to know is if a low-battery will trigger these error messages? Could it be that simple? I have looked into the p0411 error code and it seems to have been plaguing Mustangs since early 04 on some posts. I've got the auto parts stores machines telling me one thing, the onboard diagnostics another...) Can someone help me before 5-31-2009 when my NYS Inspection is due? (They won't pass vehicles w/ the CEL on) Thanks!!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

PureVenom is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: The dreaded p0411 Error Code

On board diagnostics are different from the scanner diagnostics. Those on board ones don't mean anything important, if they did, there would be an error light somewhere. They are not influencing your P code.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #3

MaxonMustang is unknown around these parts

Is there any way to get a more specific read out of the P0411 code? Or should I just put it up on the lift and start snooping?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Herbstang is unknown around these parts

try testing the DPFE sensor/smog pump The most frequent codes with a DPFE sensor issue is a P0401 and/or a P0402. Seems they can get a mositure builds up in the lines
Do this test before you go buy one

1. Unscrew the metal bolt from the outlet to exhaust system hose.
2. Have the car sitting for sometime and start the car with the hose off and check to see if air is coming out of the secondary air injection control valve.
3. Also pull the red hose from the vacuum port and check to see if the red hose is sucking in air.

Remember you have like 30-90 seconds of this air to happen and make sure the car was sitting for sometime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whinin4.gif
Views:	1152
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	20561

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

bloodyspirit058 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxonMustang View Post
Can someone help me before 5-31-2009 when my NYS Inspection is due? (They won't pass vehicles w/ the CEL on) Thanks!!
well if you think you can pass otherwise a "dead bulb" is always an option... i know this isn't very helpful, but if worse comes to worse...

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
well if you think you can pass otherwise a "dead bulb" is always an option... i know this isn't very helpful, but if worse comes to worse...
Dead bulb is useless as the test has nothing to do with the bulb...they scan the ODB port to check for codes.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

bloodyspirit058 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Dead bulb is useless as the test has nothing to do with the bulb...they scan the ODB port to check for codes.
do you always have to put me down? jk i didn't know that, everywhere i've ever lived i haven't had to have my car scanned or checked for anything, thanks for the info

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

NY is retarded...I used to live there. They plug in and read your computer, however, it isn't just a simple scan. It's connected to Albany and they record some stuff into the state computers before they pass your inspection. It's pretty hard to get a "lick it and stick it" inspection in NY now. Useta could if you knew the right person, however, now albany has to pass your car before you can get the sticker...lame.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang