Mustang Evolution Forum banner

need new headers

3K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  Ninethourpm 
#1 ·
hey i really wanted to know if anyone was looking to sell headers or if they knew the best place i could buy them. i was also wondering if any one could help me decide between short and long tube headers and which would sound better thanks

#2 ·
Short would require less parts, namely the mid pipe. but, they are relatively useless as far as power goes. If you are going to spend the money, you might as well go with long tubes.

#4 ·
do ypu tards know what section you're posting in? I wonder sometimes. :rolleyes:

Be leary of any advice from the V8 guys, they think all cars run the same stuff sometimes. :disgust:

MAC longtubes, witha MAC h-pipe, get some Magnaflow cats welded in and run a GT Magnaflow catback and you'll be set as far as exhaust goes.

#5 ·
This setup is a total waste of money for any 3.8 without intake and head work. Sometimes us "V8 guys" aren't necessarily tards...we've been there before.

There is no need to put headers on a V6 without other work to the engine. Unless you just like throwing money at something for the hell of it.

#6 ·
I'm sorry, I guess shorty headers are magically better for small displacement motors than they are for larger displacement motors. I guess the whole concept of scavaging and all that works differently when you have less displacement than when you have large displacement.

Either that, or you're just trying to be elitist again about your V6 and the fact that shorties are useless on any motor and provide very little if any gains.

Then again, I guess you don't know **** either because you just recommended the same thing I did as far as getting long tubes...although, you gave no reasoning other than "You'll be all set for exhaust" where as I was at least nice enough to point out that shorties are useless.

And yes, us tards know what section we are posting in...however, since you don't have to pay a fee to subscribe to specific sections of the site, we will continue to do so...specially those like Brad who have owned a V6 and done the mods that are typically asked about....but he's just a V8 tard now I guess...like the rest of us.

#9 ·
If you are going to Long tube (LT) headers then you have to worry about scraping when you go over speed bumps. Plus you will not be able to upgrade and get lowering springs for your mustang. I have sport spring by Eibach and i scrap my cats like crazy and i heard that the LT come down .5 inches lower than where your stock cats would be.

So think about if you ever want to lower your car before you decide.

#10 ·
Get the Mac long tubes and o/r h-pipe. Best $300 i spent so far on my car. You will definately notice a difference even if you just have bolt-ons. The difference is reason enough to get them. They arent that low. You just need to be careful. I wouldnt be worried about dropping my car another .5-.75 inches.

#16 ·
i like being a TARD

#17 ·
On a N/A car, longtubes and shorties are about as useful as a new t/b and spacer.
You really don't need them until you start pushing some serious power out of the engine.

If you do get them and think you've gained 20 hp, you're wrong, it's all in your head...

#18 ·
I'm adding them building up to more power don't want to pay for everything at once when everything is added then it will be worth it!!!!!! plus that the fun of having a MUSTANG :burnout:

#20 ·
ok what's a Sotp meter ????

#22 ·
long tubes will produce gains near stock but not much. Shorties are pretty much worthless... sure they help but not nearly enough to warrent them vs other mods if you have other mods to go for.

#23 ·
I say get the headers as suport mods for future mods. Forget those v8 guys.
Gt and Cobra guys know everything about V6s.
They'll even tell you its Unpossable to get any HP out of a built 3.8 or 4.2.
They'll tell you both single and split port only make 145Hp at the crank.
(we should say 4.6 still only makes 215Hp Like it did when the 3.8 had 145)
There favorate pastime is coming into v6 forums and telling anyone who mentions Horsepower to go buy a v8. (Fast cars are bought not built)
More reasons to throw in twice what it would cost to buy a Gt into my V6.
4.6 Bore 3.552 in Stroke3.543 in
3.8 bore 3.811 in Stroke 3.4 in
4.2 bore 3.811 in stroke 3.74 in
I think there still missing a lil in the girth section.

#25 · (Edited)
I say get the headers as suport mods for future mods. .
After this your post makes no sense in this thread. Nobody told him to buy a V8, no one said a V8 was better, no one said you can't get power out of a 3.8 or 4.2. No one mentioned anything about what your talking about. Did someone piss in your cheerios, or do you overly defend the V6's because you long to have a V8?

Edit: And to the OP, IMO put the money towards other mods first if you don't have them. Your current exhaust should breath "good enough" for a while.

#26 · (Edited)
In about a million prior post they have. would you like reference?
Have you noticed theyre always the first to respond to any mod post in the V6 area.

#28 · (Edited)
So your saying THIS
Flows as well as THIS?
That one pipe on the stock manifold was sticking almost an inch inside that pipe That has got to be restricting airflow.

#29 ·
This is why I changed from stock to the shorty after i was told i wouldnt gain anything. But my butt dyno felt a difference.

#30 ·
I recently bought a 2000 V6 and there is a crack in one of the heads. I already plan on getting full exhaust. I was wondering if both the shorty and long tube headers will bolt on with out turning on the "service engine soon" light. Preferably I'd like to get the MAC LT Headers w MAC Off Road H Pipe and flowmaster true duals. Before I spend the money on this exhaust I just want to make sure it will pass inspection. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

sticks

#31 ·
You shouldnt get a light as long as you have at cat on it

#32 ·
I don't believe in sotp. Before you put them on travel a know distance such as 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile at full throttle and time yourself and remember your top speed when you cross the finish line. Do it about three times get headers or whatever your getting do the same thing and tell us the differences and be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.