Tansmission Problem? In need of advice... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Tansmission Problem? In need of advice...

I'm a relatively new Mustang owner, I've had my 95 3.8L for about 4 months. Lately i've been hearing a loud squeaking/whistling when I'm not pressing the clutch.

It sounds alot like a pulley that needs to be changed or a belt that needs to be tightened. But my mechanic is telling me he's gotta open up the transmission because thats where the problem is.

I don't know the guy too well, and I don't trust strangers with my car. Does anyone have any advice?

It makes a constant squeaking noise that only disappears when i press the clutch. When I press the clutch though, there is no more squeak but I hear a "swoosh" sound from the inside of the car.

The swoosh is always there when i'm pressing clutch while switching gears.

Any advice would help me at this point. Anything at all.
Chug_ulug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: Tansmission Problem? In need of advice...

A bad input shaft bearing will make squeaking noise and it goes away when you push in the clutch. Try pushing the clutch in very quickly, if you can hear the noise slowly fade away, that's the input shaft slowing down and stopping thats a good sigh the input shaft bearing is the problem

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 AM   #3

Yeah, that sounds like you got it right. I gotta get that looked at, do you know if its a major problem, I mean is it expensive to fix? or should I try to fix it on my own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

shaft bearing or pilot bearing witch one is it? i put mine on backwards and fixed my error i can only use 4th gear on the highway it sputters on 5th lose rpms and speed i tried fixn it and i put the way it was spozed to b im gonna just put it on backwards again mines the pilot bearing and im sure itll be alright
dalltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its most likely the throwout bearing, I had 4 go bad in my car... if you look at an explosed view you will see the fork arm, the throwout bearing is on the fork arm, when you press the clutch in the cable pulls the fork arm forwards and pushes the throwout bearing into the clutch pressure plate.

It sits on the transmission input shaft and the ticket noise you hear is the bearing going out~ its a cheap little part, you just have to take the transmission out to get to it.

A t-5 transmission is easily removed without having to remove the bell housing (thankfully ford bolted the transmission to the bell housing from the OUTSIDE on this trans)

but.. while you are at it replace the clutch, fork arm, pivot ball stud, bearing retainer (thing the pilot bearing slides on), and resurface the flywheel.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

hey you solved my problemn ummn how bout the guy who started this thread any luck?
dalltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #7

Yeah the advice was very helpful. I'm getting it fixed as we speak. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

for a fix that will last a bit you can take the slack up in the stock clutch so the petal does not flop around. I went through 3 throwout bearings, then did this and the 4th lasted 4 times as long before squeeking

Adjustment:

Usually the auto adjust feature is worthless. It is kind of hard to describe but I will try my best.

If you flip upside down and so your back is on the floor board under the dash (push the drivers seat all the way back lol). You will see the clutch quadrant to your left above the gas petal. If you push the clutch petal in with one hand you can watch the quadrant rotate. You need to push the quadrant in with one hand, while the clutch is all the way in you need to take your other hand (you may have to flip back over so you are facing down~) and hold onto the quadrant and slowly let the clutch out.

As the quadrant starts to go back to its resting position you need to hold tension aginst this motion, you cant stop it from rotating but you can hold it back. If you notice there is a little gear called a pawl gear. If it senses slack it will take up the clutch cable and make it tighter. By holding the quadrant with one hand you are faking it into thinking it is lose. So as the clutch is about all the way out you will heave a very distinctive "click" this is the pawl gear taking up slack.

Do this two times them feel the clutch. It should be firm at the top of its travel. Go drive the car can hold the gas constant at XX mph say 45-55 range. Push the clutch in and you should be able to push it in a half an inch before the rpms start to raise (clutch slips) adjust as needed.

NOTE: if you slam the clutch petal in hard or you ever pull up on the underside of the clutch petal it will unadjust itself~ you can readjust it in about 2 min though~ just FYI.

I did this on my 03 cobra and its only unadjusted itself twice in 3 years.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

^^there is a good write up on SVTperformance.com, but I can't link b/c I am at work right now. It has pictures and a good description to help you.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang